Angelus

• X Cup
Moderating the Morph Request forum
« on: February 06, 2016, 02:52:24 PM »
Can the mods ask users who constantly request to keep all their requests to one thread?  Currently, the front page of the Morph Request forum is dominated by two users, both of whom are just posting random women in separate threads.  Surely, it can all be contained to one thread per user if they are just posting random "friends" with no theme to it, yes? 

And btw - please stop saying they are your friend.  They are not your friend.  They are either random pictures you found on the internet OR you are a pretty shitty, creepy friend. 

EDIT: I've also noticed that one of the users who is making multiple threads in MR has also been banned several times for content not welcome here.  It may help to keep him all in one place as well.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 02:56:13 PM by Angelus »

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: Moderating the Morph Request forum
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 03:18:48 PM »
Can the mods ask users who constantly request to keep all their requests to one thread?  Currently, the front page of the Morph Request forum is dominated by two users, both of whom are just posting random women in separate threads.  Surely, it can all be contained to one thread per user if they are just posting random "friends" with no theme to it, yes? 

And btw - please stop saying they are your friend.  They are not your friend.  They are either random pictures you found on the internet OR you are a pretty shitty, creepy friend. 

EDIT: I've also noticed that one of the users who is making multiple threads in MR has also been banned several times for content not welcome here.  It may help to keep him all in one place as well.

I understand and empathize with your concern Angelus, but in normal (non-flood) practice, we normally encourage users making morph requests to use a separate thread for each subject (woman) in order to make everything easier for other users: so they won't have to pick and poke through a thread filled with many different subjects just to find the one or two they like. This is much the same as we do with the ID request posts for pretty much the same reason: keeping the subjects in separate threads makes finding a particular subject much easier... as long as you know the thread title, it's a simple matter to locate it via search and just the images of that morph/IDQ subject.

However, your points about the first page of the MR forum tending to be sometimes monopolized by a small number of users seemingly posting endless requests of almost random "friends" is noted and we'll send a PM to those users instructing them to dial it back a notch.

PS: I dunno if it works, but I thought I saw that the forum upgraded added an "ignore" feature. If it works, perhaps you can use it to simply not see posts from the users whose content you aren't interested in.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:09:10 PM by Palomine »

Angelus

• X Cup
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 07:32:48 PM »

I understand and empathize with your concern Angelus, but in normal (non-flood) practice, we normally encourage users making morph requests to use a separate thread for each subject (woman) in order to make everything easier for other users: so they won't have to pick and poke through a thread filled with many different subjects just to find the one or two they like. This is much the same as we do with the ID request posts for pretty much the same reason: keeping the subjects in separate threads makes finding a particular subject much easier... as long as you have the IDQ Request threat title (or the Morph Request thread title) it's a simple matter to locate them via search.

However your points about the first page of the MR forum tending to be sometimes monopolized by a small number of users seemingly posting endless requests of almost random "friends" is noted and we'll send a PM to those users instructing them to dial it back a notch.

PS: I dunno if it works, but I thought I saw that the forum upgraded added an "ignore" feature. If it works, perhaps you can use it to simply not see posts from the users whose content you aren't interested in.

Hm.  I looked for an ignore button, did not see one....

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 07:45:15 PM »
Hm.  I looked for an ignore button, did not see one....

It seems unlikely they'd put such a button next to every user name, but rather have it configured from a list in your own profile so I looked around and sure enough: it's under your user pull-down menu (top right corner with your avatar and name) choose "Edit Profile"...

Then click the "Modify Profile" button and choose "Edit Buddy/Ignore List"

And if necessary, click the "Edit Ignore List" button, and you can (presumably) add usernames to the "Add to Ignore List - Member:" field at the bottom. It looks like you click the "Add" button after each name is added and that username gets added to your list ...either that or they get separated by commas like PMs perhaps. Either way, that's how it looks like it's supposed to work.

Please remember that you can always answer such questions by visiting http://www.simplemachines.org/ and looking through their documentation and forum... they make this software and will have all relevant details about how to do things and how they work. :)

Added a couple minutes later since my chicken and dumpling dinner is still in the slow-cooker: well, I went to the SMF site and clicked on their Online Manual and searched there for "Ignore List" and this is the resulting entry for a user Profile: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Profile and a browser search for "Ignore List" there shows section 2.8 http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Profile#Buddies.2FIgnore_List of that page says:

"Buddies/Ignore List

Inevitably, there will be times when members get along great and times when personalities clash. SMF provides a way to handle both instances. The buddy list allows members to keep track of users they enjoy talking to, while the ignore list hides users they do not want to see.

Edit Buddies - Members may add or delete other members from their buddy list.
Edit Ignore List - Members may add or delete other members from their ignore list."

...(emphasis added by me). There are also results from searching SMF for "Ignore List" that probably provide more info on the topic: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=%22Ignore+List%22 One entry I found there says that:

"Hide messages posted by members on my ignore list. - Posts from users on a member's ignore list will not be displayed."

...(emphasis again added by me). So, it sounds like it might actually do what you want. If you want to see how it works, go ahead and give it a try.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:48:37 PM by Palomine »