Swill

• A Cup
    • twitter.com/IDtheseboobs
VHS to PC
« on: April 13, 2016, 12:13:03 PM »
For years I've been meaning to move some old VHS movies and scenes to my computer.  I was wondering what you guys have used to do the conversion and what are the basic tools and software that I'll need.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
Re: VHS to PC
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 06:40:48 PM »
Every so often on QVC and HSN and the like, they advertise devices like this. They're pretty much the easiest way to get stuff off of a VHS tape and onto some sort of digital storage medium.
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

bignatslover

• P Cup
    • I love the BEA
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 07:15:44 AM »
Yeah if you have RCA outputs on your VCR this will get them into your PC directly:
http://www.amazon.com/August-VGB100-Video-Capture-Device/dp/B008F0SARC/r

SwitcherX

• Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 12:25:36 PM »
For years I've been meaning to move some old VHS movies and scenes to my computer.  I was wondering what you guys have used to do the conversion and what are the basic tools and software that I'll need.

You need something to take the signal from the VCR and get it into your computer.  Something like Bignatslover said.  I have a Canopus ADVC 110 and its conversions are great.  Once you get the video in to the computer you need something to edit it with it.  If you have a Mac, something like Final Cut.  Check  Mac Update for othre apps.  If you have a PC, there's Avid, Vegas Video, Adobe Premiere, etc.  A free app for editing video is VirtualDub.  You might want to check out Video Help.  There's tons of info there.
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister

"SwitcherX, you were always Mammeister's favorite...you bastard."
-- Notty

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 03:37:35 PM »
If you have a PC...[a] free app for editing video is VirtualDub.

Just what I've been looking for! I guess VirtualDub is to video what GIMP is to photos. Thanks!
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.