rtpoe

• Old Fart
2016 Coney Island Mermaid Parade
« on: June 07, 2016, 09:26:02 PM »
Saturday, June 18, Coney Island, Brooklyn.

Once again, I expect to be on the Judges' Reviewing Stand, having paid the bribe joined Coney Island USA at the "Big Spender" level (they raised it by $50 this year - but it's still worth it).

To my delight, I found out today who the Mermaid Queen and King Neptune are going to be. King Neptune is Carlo A. Scissura, the President and CEO of the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce. A nice local boy, who's working to bring business and development to the borough.

Here's the Mermaid Queen, dressed appropriately:

rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
Re: 2016 Coney Island Mermaid Parade
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 10:35:28 PM »
Saturday, June 18, Coney Island, Brooklyn.

Once again, I expect to be on the Judges' Reviewing Stand, having paid the bribe joined Coney Island USA at the "Big Spender" level (they raised it by $50 this year - but it's still worth it).

To my delight, I found out today who the Mermaid Queen and King Neptune are going to be. King Neptune is Carlo A. Scissura, the President and CEO of the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce. A nice local boy, who's working to bring business and development to the borough.

Here's the Mermaid Queen, dressed appropriately:

Please, don't tease and gloat too much, ok ?  ;) ;D

rtpoe

• Old Fart
Re: 2016 Coney Island Mermaid Parade
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 10:19:11 PM »
Well, it looked like Ms. Clauson had a little trouble getting into the spirit of the parade. She looked a little uncomfortable posing for all the press before the parade began.

But she did eventually loosen up; here she is getting down to the Afro-Brazilian samba sounds of the NYC chapter of Batala, an international organization of marching drum ensembles. (Not my photo, btw)

By the way, the Daily Mail (UK) reported that model Nina Agdal (Sports Illustrated, Victoria's Secret) was there as well. Not knowing who she was, I didn't spot her.
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie