Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
What are the differences between the US and Europe?
« on: December 07, 2016, 04:29:02 AM »
I read with interest Solvegas’s post on washing machine size in Europe vs the size in the US. Instead of hijacking that thread – I’d thought I’d start a new one.

So, it got me thinking – what are the differences between the US and Europe do we think?

I don’t want this to be ‘we are better than you’ sort of thread, but just personal observations.

I’m going to start with something controversial.  In the US houses are on the whole inferior in quality.  Houses in the US are bigger, there is no doubt of that, but they are imho poorly constructed compared to Europe.  I’ll have to narrow Europe down to mainly northern Europe.

Mind you – houses are more expensive in Europe.

Things are cheaper to buy in the US than Europe – I suspect this is mainly to do with sales taxes and exchange rates.   I remember my first visit to the US back in 92, jeez things were almost half what I’d expect to pay back home.

Not only clothes – gas is a third of the price I pay here in the UK.

Cars in the US have been traditionally bigger, and mostly automatic – whereas in Europe we all drive manual transmission cars.  As far as quality goes – the Germans do make some good cars, but French cars are a bit flaky and Italian cars, unless high end seem unreliable.

British cars aren’t that great – the high end stuff is awesome – but the cars people buy are so so.  They are better than they used to be, in the 70’s when they were just crap.

Most of the US cars I’ve driven have been ok – they drive well, but have poor handling. Gas millage isn’t great, but with gas so cheap this isn’t such an issue.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head - more later...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:47:11 AM by Hiram »
Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, good buzzing, cool talking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing... #BOOBs

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
Re: What are the differences between the US and Europe?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 06:43:18 AM »
Well, one of the most confusing thing for ALL Europeans is the cultural anomaly of tipping as far as Americans are concerned. You have no idea how it is considered rude in this country how Europeans do not tip for service. Here in Vegas tipping can mean the difference between a good income or a bad income. For example, in Vegas, and the entire state of Nevada for that matter, tourism is the number one source of income. The jobs are not rocket science but thanks to tipping a Valet attendant can make, depending on the property and its clientele, from $40,000 to $150,000 on average a year. On average about $20,000 of that is their basic income and the rest is from tips. Tipping encourages good service because the worker is responsible for his income and a friendly, conscientious, hard worker can make more money. The guy that is lazy, unfriendly and careless will be winnowed out. Many of our European guests remark to us how friendly the staff and how attentive they generally are. Well, that is thanks to tipping. So while we will smile at you and be friendly, we dread Europeans because they don't tip.  :( Tipping is a North American thing since Canadians and Mexicans, due to the American influence, also have tipping cultures. A tip is not mandatory though. IF the service is bad, you don't reward people for it and a tip is not to be given. Money talks and bullshit walks. So its a way to send a signal to the staff of the establishment that you are not happy. Also, you don't generally tip in a fast food place since the service is minimal and thanks to the idiotic $15 minimum wage some states ( California and New York ) are instituting, will be automated out and nobody tips a machine. So that is one difference.

Cutter

• X Cup
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 07:02:59 AM »
Electrical voltage is another.  In the US standard house outlet power is 110.  In England I think it's 220. I have no idea what the other countries set their standards at. 

I have an old Reel-to-Reel tape player that has a voltage selector that goes 100v, 115v, 150v, 200v, 230v, 250v.  So depending on the country a proper selection could be made for power so it would not blowup.

And the appliance plugs are different from county to county.
Cutter

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK!

My DVD   http://mightyo.site.aplus.net/ussclamagoretourdvd.com/

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 09:13:38 AM »
Well, one of the most confusing thing for ALL Europeans is the cultural anomaly of tipping as far as Americans are concerned.
I agree - as a Brit I never really got the hang of it.

I've told friends that service is usually good in the US for that reason.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:29:27 AM by Hiram »
Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, good buzzing, cool talking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing... #BOOBs

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:21:47 AM »
Electrical voltage is another.  In the US standard house outlet power is 110.  In England I think it's 220. I have no idea what the other countries set their standards at. 
Here in the UK it is 240v @ 50Hz.  In the US you are 60Hz. 

UK houses electrical supplies are normally done in a ring main design, which is not how they do it in the US. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:45:34 AM by Hiram »

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:27:37 AM »
Another thing that just crossed my mind - although I think it has changed recently is chips on credit and bank cards. 

I haven't had to sign for a card purchase for many years, I use my 4 digit pin instead.  Although we now have contactless for small amounts where you don't have to enter a pin; just hold the card near the reader and it reads the card. Sounds insecure I know, but it works very well I find.

Do you guys over in the US use apps on phones to access your bank?  I have an app that lets me access my bank, pay bills and transfer money. Not sure how I ever managed without it now.

And there are Faucets (tap in the UK) We normally have a separate hot and cold supply and not a mixer.  There is a technical reason for this, but I can't remember what it is...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:43:01 AM by Hiram »

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 12:42:26 PM »
Not sure if this is stereotypical German, but when I go shopping for fashion I want to look around by myself undisturbed. If I have a question I'm looking for help. Same for all other kind of shopping. Maximum I want to hear when I enter a shop is "Hello" and "please don't hesitate to ask for help", I don't want to hear "May I help you?" or even more at the very beginning. Shops in Germany that think they need to do more and are a pain in my neck I try to avoid in future.
As far as I remember and I didn't have much chance to go shoppin the times I was in the US, except one time 10 years ago when I had plenty time, this was quite nerving ...
Anti-social behaviours lack consideration for the well-being of others. Any types of conduct that violates basic rights (human rights is one of them) of another person. It can show as covert or overt hostility.

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 12:51:29 AM »
Maximum I want to hear when I enter a shop is "Hello" and "please don't hesitate to ask for help",
Same here in the UK.  I don't like too much attention when I go shopping.  It may be part of the 'tips' culture in the US that leads to over keen shop assistants. I think they always want to give good service, but sometime they go too far for us Europeans. 

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 07:53:18 AM »
One huge difference is that the USA still uses the English measuring and weight standards while Europe is a metric standard. Growing up in Mexico using metric where it is all divisible by ten and then living in the USA where measurements like Gallon ( 3.785 liters ), Yard ( .914 meter ), Mile ( 1.6 Kilometer ), etc, etc are used can be confusing. Of course, all manufactured goods use metric ( global standard ) but distance not at all. So when European guests ask how far is the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas I tell them not far, about 240 miles or 400 kilometers and their eyebrows pop up. The sheer size and distance of everything in the USA can be unnerving to somebody from Belgium for example.   

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 11:11:50 AM »
One huge difference is that the USA still uses the English measuring and weight standards while Europe is a metric standard.
In the UK we have a mixed imperial and metric system going on.  Roads distances are stated in miles, and speed limits are all in MPH, not KPH. Some bridges still have their height in feet and inches.   

Fuel went over to Litres 20 years ago - I still remember gallons.  A UK gallons is bigger btw. 4.5L.

I still think of my weight in imperial, most people do I suspect, even the young. But we use Stones (14 lbs) to express it. So I'd be 14 st, not 182lbs.

But metric is better.

The sheer size and distance of everything in the USA can be unnerving to somebody from Belgium for example.
That was my experience as well - the US is huge.  I once drove across New Mexico in a day, a distance I'd never be able to do here. 

I've been to the Grand Canyon, it is one of those places that really does give you a sense of scale.

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 11:17:23 AM »
One huge difference is that the USA still uses the English measuring and weight standards while Europe is a metric standard.
In the UK we have a mixed imperial and metric system going on.  Roads distances are stated in miles, and speed limits are all in MPH, not KPH. Some bridges still have their height in feet and inches.   

Fuel went over to Litres 20 years ago - I still remember gallons.  A UK gallons is bigger btw. 4.5L.

I still think of my weight in imperial, most people do I suspect, even the young. But we use Stones (14 lbs) to express it. So I'd be 14 st, not 182lbs.

PS, while I think of it - breast size is measured in inches here. And I know that as Mrs Hiram wears 38E or 40F.  I just checked but looking in her wardrobe while she is at work!  :)

But metric is better.

The sheer size and distance of everything in the USA can be unnerving to somebody from Belgium for example.
That was my experience as well - the US is huge.  I once drove across New Mexico in a day, a distance I'd never be able to do here. 

I've been to the Grand Canyon, it is one of those places that really does give you a sense of scale. Actually I drove from The Grand Canyon to Vegas.  This is before the new bridge was built over the Hoover Dam.

PS, while I think of it - breast size is measured in inches here. And I know that as Mrs Hiram wears 38E or 40F.  I just checked by looking in her wardrobe while she is at work!  :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:26:55 AM by Hiram »

SwitcherX

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 09:44:32 PM »

I have an old Reel-to-Reel tape player that has a voltage selector that goes 100v, 115v, 150v, 200v, 230v, 250v.  So depending on the country a proper selection could be made for power so it would not blowup.

And the appliance plugs are different from county to county.

Everyone is either 110ish or 220ish, 50 or 60hz.  I think everyone was 110 in the beginning but places started to switch later.  I've heard in New Orleans some places have DC power.

I remember reading somewhere that for things first developed in the USA, once it gets standardized and the weak spots are known, other countries improve on it and make a new standard.  And then other countries etc...
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister

"SwitcherX, you were always Mammeister's favorite...you bastard."
-- Notty

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 01:13:48 AM »
I've heard in New Orleans some places have DC power.
Jeez, that is dangerous.

SwitcherX

• Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 01:17:23 AM »
 Generally, in the western hemisphere and above the equator it's 110V @60hz.   Everywhere else is 220V @50hz.

You might still be able to get DC in San Francisco ===> link
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister

"SwitcherX, you were always Mammeister's favorite...you bastard."
-- Notty

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 04:04:35 AM »
One big difference between the US and Europe generally; is welfare.

There are much higher welfare benefits in Europe.

I'm no expert, but as far as I am aware, in Germany you get a good percentage of your last wage (for a period) should you loose your job and have to apply for welfare. That sounds very good to me.

In the UK where I live, our welfare is probably one of the least generous in the EU, but still more generous than the US I suspect.