Re: Tags system
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 08:09:36 AM »
"As for the difference between Animal Girls and Anthropomorphic, I would be inclined to agree with you that there's no real concise line to draw between them, and I was about to write as much... but then I realized that there in fact, is."

I agree that there's a distinction but, interestingly, my own expectation was that the terms would have the reverse meanings to those that you ascribe to them, with anthropomorphic girls having the less extreme changes and animal girls the more extreme. But I'm not a member of the furry community, and it's quite possible that the terms are used there in accordance with what you say. Regardless of which way round it should be, I don't think that we really need a separate tag for both of them, but that lumping them together under a single "animal girl / anthropomorphic" tag would be adequate and would avoid any risk of misinterpretation. (Of course, strictly speaking "anthropomorphic" is applied to animals having human traits rather than the reverse, but lacking a suitable word it's convenient to use it for the reverse situation here.)

I'm only ever really interested in hard Anthropomorphic for the degrading and dehumanizing elements, so I'm pretty sure I'd be tarred and feathered by the Furry community, but I do know enough that I'm entirely positive that "Anthros" and "Anthropomorphic" is the slang that they use. Animal Girls in the vein of Cat Girls, Cow Girls, etc are a very, very common parlance among perverts and connoisseurs of the Chinese Cartoons known as Anime. You might run into some misunderstandings if you tried to use those words in the Furry Community, but almost certainly because... well, it's still fitting. That being said, I'm also certain that they would probably fight you if you tried to say that it's all "The same thing".

I mean, I'm unsheathing my rapier right now, and I'm not even a furry. Which really cuts to the point (Ha!) that I've been lazily circling. The attraction here is to two very separate things. Slopping them together under a single tag would be no more advisable than if you did it to say, Breast Expansion and Fattening. Technically you could just lump them under the category of "Expansion", but you'd probably get your village burned down if you did that.

I'm thinking that "Animal Traits" and "Anthropomorphic" might be the best we're going to do though. I am however prepared to continue torturing this rock for it's blood to try and divine a more effective set of descriptors.

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 11:09:46 PM »
Status Change -- I understood what you meant, my point was that "Status" can mean almost anything.  Changing from alive to dead is a Status Change.  Health Status (well/sick), Financial Status (rich/poor/middle-class), Social Status, I imagine there are others...

That furry stuff -- I'm with Nair on the distinction between animal-girls and anthropomorphics... I'd been a fan of the anthropomorphics genre since the early 90s, so that was my standard.  When I first saw examples of the other type -- in a Japanese manga which featured people with animal ears and tails only -- I sneered at it and thought "you call that anthropomorphics?"  I got over myself eventually.  ;)  I know at least one fellow author who is fine with the minimal animalism of catgirls but doesn't like the full-on furriness of anthros.

While it's tempting to change the "fur" tag to "anthro", I hate the idea of changing tags because that means I have to manually edit each episode that uses it (77 episodes so far for the fur tag).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:12:38 PM by Adama »
Adama, Addventure mega-geek

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 02:57:33 AM »
"Status Change" - The real goal is a tag for the broad umbrella of Socio-Economic Change. Financial status, social status, employment status, 'popularity', arguably even familial status and position as well. Basically one's position within society broad or small, potentially including levels of wealth and power. How to sum that up in 2-3 easily understood words is the question...

Furry Stuff - Anthropomorphic really deserves the "Fur" abbreviation in my opinion. It's earned it.

I have noted that "Cloth2" is now a thing... I had actually thought that was what the original tag was supposed to be. It might be a good idea to change one's abbreviation more clearly. Maybe "Dress"? or "Fashion"?

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 10:34:59 PM »
I have noted that "Cloth2" is now a thing... I had actually thought that was what the original tag was supposed to be. It might be a good idea to change one's abbreviation more clearly. Maybe "Dress"? or "Fashion"?

Hm, I think I prefer "outfit".  For the "change of clothing" tag that is.  Either way, based on what you said I'm going to need to go through all the current "cloth" episodes and correct the tag where the person misunderstood the meaning...

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 11:04:47 PM »

Hm, I think I prefer "outfit".  For the "change of clothing" tag that is.  Either way, based on what you said I'm going to need to go through all the current "cloth" episodes and correct the tag where the person misunderstood the meaning...

... but then I came to my senses and realized I don't want to modify the 140+ episodes that currently have the "cloth" tag.  (Guess I need to write a utility program to do a mass rename of a tag)

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 01:16:08 PM »
I think there might be a bug in the display of the list of episodes that have a particular tag. If I search on "pr", for instance, it shows me the first page of results, and also reveals that the whole list runs to five pages. But if I then click on the "2" to show me the second page, it always says:

"Addventure Server Is Busy
The BEA Addventure's server is experiencing a heavy load at the moment, so CGI programs have been temporarily disabled.
When the load average drops the CGI programs will become available again automatically."

Now if it had done this once, I could believe that - in the minute or so between showing me the first page and my asking for the second page -  the server had become more busy, but it's done it every time in my three or four attempts. Also, if it knows that there are five pages worth of episodes, surely it already must have done the processor-intensive task of compiling the list, and just displaying the second page of that list should be trivial in comparison.
JH

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 11:47:52 PM »
Nothing is retained within memory between calls to the search.  Each you click on the next page, it performs the search all over again but filtered by a different page number.

(Unnecessary explanation follows)

There's two steps to doing a search --
1) Identify the episode numbers which contain the tags
2) Look up the episode details (title, author, date) for each of those episodes so their info can be displayed

Step 1 is done every time you do a search or go to a different page.  Step 2 is only done for the 50 episodes that will be displayed on the selected page, to save time.

... I guess one way to solve the problem is to drop the paging idea, and just return the full list of results on a singe page...

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 11:56:18 PM »
... I guess one way to solve the problem is to drop the paging idea, and just return the full list of results on a singe page...

Made a new poll for it.  I like having a polling system.  :)

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 03:06:20 AM »
Thanks.

Voters who haven't experienced the problem that I've had (and I still find it hard to believe that it's just a coincidence that it seems to happen every time) may not realise the rationale for the proposed change. (I haven't actually looked at the poll yet, though, so I don't know what wording you've used for the question.)
JH

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »
Fair point, I've reworded the options and thrown out the first set of votes.

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 03:50:21 PM »
It's occurred to me that if the server busyness is measured as an average over the last two minutes say, then the processor effort involved in producing the first page of a multi-page list might cause it to be seen as too busy to allow the second page to be produced. In which case I suppose the solution would be to wait for a few minutes before pressing the "2" link to bring up the second page.
JH

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 08:16:22 PM »
It's occurred to me that if the server busyness is measured as an average over the last two minutes say, then the processor effort involved in producing the first page of a multi-page list might cause it to be seen as too busy to allow the second page to be produced. In which case I suppose the solution would be to wait for a few minutes before pressing the "2" link to bring up the second page.

Mm, possibly... the way it works is that several Addventure scripts call a common script which checks the Linux machine's Load Average, and if the Load Average is greater than 1 you get the "Busy" page.  I don't know how frequently that figure is updated.  This check is something that the machine's sysadmin requested of me years ago to cut down on server CPU usage.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:18:25 PM by Adama »

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 10:37:10 AM »
On my most recent attempt, I managed to successivelyview all five pages. I did try to wait a minute or two before moving on from one page to the next, so I don't know if that helped.
JH

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2017, 12:52:59 AM »
I think I'm going to make paging optional, so you can choose to get all your results at once if you desire to.

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2017, 04:42:39 AM »
Good idea. Though it might be wise to impose a maximum size on the number of entries that can be viewed unpaged, or people might commit themselves to viewing a couple of thousand entries in one go. (I can imagine the number of episodes tagged with "be" easily reaching a couple of thousand.)
JH