JH_

• F Cup
The Tags Tell a Story
« on: May 07, 2017, 03:49:03 AM »
For yesterday's episodes:

Top 10 tags during this period: fan(20)  mc(18)  bimbo(9)  **27**(9)  list(9)  pers(7)  tged(6)  ff(6)  ident(5)  exh(4) 

(**27** is c*e*l*e*b, which it seems is a permissible word on the addventure but not in the forum.)

Whatever happened to BE? :) Not a single use of the tag. Is it time for the BEAddventure to be renamed?

Fanfic now seems to be dominant. Of course that isn't new, but it seems to have become even more marked recently. I imagine that at least 80% of the fanfic episodes will be about anime characters, most of whom I've never even heard of. (When I was growing up, anime was pretty much unknown outside Japan.) I don't begrudge the anime fans the opportunity to write about their favourites, but new episodes about OCs - and more specifically the original crew of Jim, Sharon and co - seem to be becoming ever thinner on the ground, which is sad.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:51:29 AM by JH_ »
JH

Anonymous51

• A Cup
Re: The Tags Tell a Story
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 01:59:42 PM »
That was just one day, though.  It seems every day, there's a different set of tags.  For example, today, "be" is the third highest on the list, so far.  And if you look at the episodes over the last 40 days, "be" is fifth on the list.  Not first, but pretty high up.

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »
True, but "fan" still dominates.
JH

Chuck

• Yes, that Chuck.
  • Bow down.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 02:52:27 AM »
Fanfic here can be good. I have participated in it with X-Files, Twin Peaks, Transformers, even Jem & The Holograms.

I do find anime very irritating though. But to each his own. Without the anime fans filling the Addventure with stories about Ranma, Bleach, Sailor Moon, etc. It would be a ghost town around here.

Also the video game fans with their Samus, Sonic, etc.

Those storylines fill out the Recent Eps page and make the BEA seem still popular 20 years in.

Maybe there should be a tag like "Orig" for Original Addventure characters like Jim, Sharon, etc.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 02:53:58 AM by Chuck »

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 10:35:04 AM »
An "Orig" tag might be a good idea. Since my original post a few new threads have started featuring Jim and Sharon, which is good to see. If I wasn't about to disappear on vacation, I might have contributed to the "Jim and Sharon in the Caribbean" one.
JH

Chuck

• Yes, that Chuck.
  • Bow down.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »
An "Orig" tag might be a good idea. Since my original post a few new threads have started featuring Jim and Sharon, which is good to see. If I wasn't about to disappear on vacation, I might have contributed to the "Jim and Sharon in the Caribbean" one.

That one is on my "to read" list.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 08:16:29 PM »
While it is all a bit ambiguous, I do kind of like the idea of a "Jim" tag to consolidate all of those stories and cast-usage, and give a little bit of a shout-out to our long-running mascot/punching bag.

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 11:37:34 PM »
While it is all a bit ambiguous, I do kind of like the idea of a "Jim" tag to consolidate all of those stories and cast-usage, and give a little bit of a shout-out to our long-running mascot/punching bag.

Hm, alternatively I was contemplating having some tag to indicate that the story involved any of what's considered the "main universe" characters (Jim, Sharon, Rick, Robin, etc.) as opposed to other main characters (Marjorie Mandelberg or Mitch, for example).

Not sure what right name for the tag would be.  "Jim" wouldn't work for tagging a thread that only featured Sharon.

Despite those characters' strong presence early on, this isn't like Fiction Branches where there is a consistent set of characters across nearly the whole site.  Even setting fanfic aside there's still a lot of characters to focus on outside of the original Addventurers.
Adama, Addventure mega-geek

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 08:56:05 AM »

Hm, alternatively I was contemplating having some tag to indicate that the story involved any of what's considered the "main universe" characters (Jim, Sharon, Rick, Robin, etc.) as opposed to other main characters (Marjorie Mandelberg or Mitch, for example).

Not sure what right name for the tag would be.  "Jim" wouldn't work for tagging a thread that only featured Sharon.

Despite those characters' strong presence early on, this isn't like Fiction Branches where there is a consistent set of characters across nearly the whole site.  Even setting fanfic aside there's still a lot of characters to focus on outside of the original Addventurers.

Maybe "UBEA" or something to that effect. It's not like the tag itself has to be 100% accurate and indicative, it really just has to be unique and more or less easily associated with its definition.

And the impression that I always had from my (extensive but definitely incomplete) reading of the Addventure is that while there are different original characters and even entire casts thereof, most of them tend to be fairly self-contained into their respective stories. It's just Jim and his central supporting cast that tends to pop up time and again, which could be interpreted as a significant distinction.

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 10:59:09 AM »
And the impression that I always had from my (extensive but definitely incomplete) reading of the Addventure is that while there are different original characters and even entire casts thereof, most of them tend to be fairly self-contained into their respective stories. It's just Jim and his central supporting cast that tends to pop up time and again, which could be interpreted as a significant distinction.

True, true.

I've now added a "ubea" tag.

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 03:57:16 PM »
Thanks, Adama. I may be being dense, but what does the "u" in "ubea" stand for?
JH

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 11:03:10 PM »

The official name of the Addventure is "Unending BE Addventure" (to distinguish it from the ones on addventure.com I imagine).  So "ubea".

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 12:51:22 PM »

The official name of the Addventure is "Unending BE Addventure" (to distinguish it from the ones on addventure.com I imagine).  So "ubea".

I was being dense. :)

While I've been away on vacation, even more ubea stories have been either started or revived, so I'm wondering if more people read the Plume (and this thread in particular) than I'd thought.
JH

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »
Now I have some experience of adding tags to episodes, I'm surprised by how difficult I often find it. For example, I'm very unclear as to the distinction between Global and Real. It seems to me that we don't really need both tags, but I suppose that now that both have been added to many episodes it's not really possible to remove one of them.

I feel similarly about Ident and Status.

Another question is whether tags like Be should apply only to the episodes where the actual growth occurs or also in episodes where someone features who has previously grown. That's handled explicitly for transgendering, but not for anything else. Fortunately it's not an issue for Pr, as that's something that's continuous rather than a step change.
JH

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 12:46:18 AM »
Now I have some experience of adding tags to episodes, I'm surprised by how difficult I often find it. For example, I'm very unclear as to the distinction between Global and Real. It seems to me that we don't really need both tags, but I suppose that now that both have been added to many episodes it's not really possible to remove one of them.

I feel similarly about Ident and Status.

Another question is whether tags like Be should apply only to the episodes where the actual growth occurs or also in episodes where someone features who has previously grown. That's handled explicitly for transgendering, but not for anything else. Fortunately it's not an issue for Pr, as that's something that's continuous rather than a step change.

Well, Global and Real are different things.  Global refers to changes that effect the whole world (or possibly everyone in a town or other area).  Such as "All women have large breasts".  Real refers to reality changes, usually in the sense of "reality adjusts to reflect the change".  Such as everyone thinking a certain character has always been a girl.

Ident means that a person has a new identity -- which now that I think about it, is also a "Real" change.  Such as Jim becoming Sharon's son instead of her boyfriend.  Status... well I never really "got" that but it's about "social status" changes, such as Sharon becoming a cheerleader or a maid.  I asked if that was more of a "cliche" change, but the person requesting it disagreed.  :)

I agree that the issue with the "be" tag is debatable.  Many tags that relate to a Transformation could be split in two like the tg tag was, but then the tag list would become a LOT longer and harder to use.  I've debated about adding a "big breasts" tag to compensate, but that seems unfair to the other tags.  ;)  It actually is an issue for the "pr" tag too, because some people fetishize only the growth aspect, and don't care as much about episodes where the character is already pregnant.   So I don't know what the right answer is there.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:48:07 AM by Adama »