saibott

• I am sB
Re: New BEArchive.com
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2017, 01:39:12 AM »
1. How about removing the login requirement until a search is implemented?

And to repeat the questions from my earlier posts:

2. What are the gallery restrictions for non-subscribers?

3. Why both the main site and the forum use HTTP rather than HTTPS?  Sending passwords in clear text across the net is not OK.
2. Until they fix the new system, treat free users as forum only, that's what I'm doing.
3. That is what "random.org/bytes/" is for, making unique passwords saved to .txt files. Just remember to remove all spaces and replace a few lowercase and numbers with uppercase letters and symbols. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 01:42:20 AM by saibott »

Joe

• Email
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 04:35:58 AM »
In the profile under contents section it doesn't have the adventure in the list of available services listed for free members, seriously the admin/moderator/webmaster should just shut down the site send an email listing when the site will be back up and when all the services will be ready.

Flauros

• A Cup
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2017, 05:36:32 AM »
I'm just hoping its not locked behind a paywall that you need to be a paying member to see and use

They're saying that it's not going to require you to be a paying member, but that it will require you to be a free member.

I'm glad that it's still free, but even this change worries me. One of the main advantages of the Addventure was its accessibility; anyone could read a chapter, post a comment, or write a continuation. But now, without an account, it's impossible to even skim the recent episodes list.
I can't imagine that this will be good for the Addventure's future health. It's effectively invisible to anyone who is not already a member. It's not a promising sign if even web crawlers can't see it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:42:15 AM by Flauros »

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 10:24:37 AM »
I have to agree with the above comment. Needing an account to post episodes is disappointing, but somewhat understandable, even if it was one of the more unique features I appreciated. Having to register to view anything though could cripple the userbase, and make it completely unknown to future potential authors. The beauty of what there was before, was that any random person could stumble across a thread, read it, and then, with very little hassle, provide their own contributions.

The BEA has been around for nearly two decades, and I think it's wonderful how healthy it still currently is- it's by far my preferred collaborative fiction site, but I'm a tad worried. Other websites in a similar vein still allow browsing of their interactives, even if it's in a limited state.

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 12:08:12 PM »
I have to agree with the above comment. Needing an account to post episodes is disappointing, but somewhat understandable, even if it was one of the more unique features I appreciated. Having to register to view anything though could cripple the userbase, and make it completely unknown to future potential authors. The beauty of what there was before, was that any random person could stumble across a thread, read it, and then, with very little hassle, provide their own contributions.

The BEA has been around for nearly two decades, and I think it's wonderful how healthy it still currently is- it's by far my preferred collaborative fiction site, but I'm a tad worried. Other websites in a similar vein still allow browsing of their interactives, even if it's in a limited state.

I think we're already seeing the effects, too, since there's been a pretty significant drop-off of new chapters since the change.

Aphrodite

• Half-Full Cup
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 01:54:02 PM »
As one of those long-time anons I have to plead that you don't require login just to view. I think it will devastate the community, for the reasons above and more - it's just really confusing.

The Addventure is a great onramp to the main site, but not if it can't be discovered and build engagement in the first place. Rather than locking it down at all I think you should be working with Adama to try to get more Addventure users to click through to the main site.

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 03:37:45 PM »
1. How about removing the login requirement until a search is implemented?

And to repeat the questions from my earlier posts:

2. What are the gallery restrictions for non-subscribers?

3. Why both the main site and the forum use HTTP rather than HTTPS?  Sending passwords in clear text across the net is not OK.

1. Login requiement won't be removed. You just need to create a username and subscribe to a free account.
2. It's replied on the FAQ's: https://botcomics.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/200358525-BE-Archive-FAQ-s
3. We could implement HTTPS in the future. For now, if you want to join as a subscriber the payment gateway has a https page.

A__P

• A Cup
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2017, 06:16:28 PM »
1. Login requiement won't be removed. You just need to create a username and subscribe to a free account.

That's killed the Addventure, then, almost certainly. Without being able to search it properly, which google was good at, and requiring the hassle of logging in, the vast majority of people simply won't bother. I'd guess that at least 80 to 90 percent of people who don't regularly post episodes won't want the annoyance of having to create yet another login for just a little amusement here and there.

It was fun while it lasted. I've put a few episodes up here and there going all the way back to the start, but I expect it won't last much longer. Hopefully someone will mirror it somewhere and save the good stuff, but I doubt it will still be around in any meaningful form in a year or two. Pity.

Seems to be happening to all sorts of sites these days. Fiction Branches is gone, probably permanently, now here, and I wonder which the next one to die will be?

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2017, 07:42:38 PM »
I fully understand wanting to attract more people to the main site, and getting them to interact with its features, as well as potentially subscribe, but I just don't think taking away an ability that previously existed for nearly 20 years is the smartest of choices.

Giving guests the option to view the addventure, and then hook them in by asking them to create an account, seems like the most reasonable compromise. It might lead to a small reduction in daily episodes, but if a few more QoL changes were offered on top, who knows how well things could go?

As it is, I honestly think most people are going to assume the addventure is dead. I had to be informed it was back by someone else, since I kept getting redirected every time I used the regular URL.

lurker

• Aficionado
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 08:56:31 PM »
It's not that there are not alternatives.
There's always CYOC.

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2017, 09:06:32 PM »
There certainly are alternatives, but I appreciate the content the addventure has been able to consistently produce, and I would hate for its userbase, and overall culture, to be shaken up for the worse.

To me, I've always considered the Unending BE to have, overall, some of the best quality you can find on an interactive fiction site.

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2017, 09:45:41 PM »
I would like to join in the complaining. Some of the other adult interactive fiction sites need an account to post but I can't think of another where you need one to even view. I can only imagine the number of episodes posted will fall off a cliff (admittedly some of which won't be missed).

I don't do it for the 'views' or recognition (I don't even sign my episodes), but I certainly feel less inclined to spend the considerable amount of time and effort it takes to write an episode knowing it could only even potentially reach a handful of people.

Yes, CYOC is there if you still want somewhere you don't need to login to submit, though I generally find the quality is worse than here and some of the content extremely questionable. chyoa is much better in quality, probably because you need an account to write, but it does get new content as people can see it's not dead. It doesn't have the nice fact of technically all branching from one tree, rather being split into stories. (I know technically pretty much no-one actually starts at the beginning, but it's a nice concept.) I also echo Post-Bop about liking the community here.

If you don't want to have things free to read but login to write, I have some other ideas for compromise:

1 - Limit accessibility tools. This is what chyoa does. You can browse and read without login, but the extremely useful 'storyline tree' view, the ability to favorite/bookmark authors and episodes, the ability to change colours (for example to a white text on black night mode) and probably some other stuff is locked behind logging in.

For the UBEA, you could make it so the only places you can access are the recent episodes page (with recent comments, perhaps minus tags) and the very beginning (link to ep 02 - Jim wakes up). Keep it so Google only works if you're logged in (or just add the search). The index, author/tag pages etc are locked off. Maybe commenting is too, though I'd prefer not.

This way rando anons can get a taste of what's available and perhaps be persuaded to start an account, while regular users can nip in and check what's new, whether anyone's followed up or commented on their episodes without the faff of having to log in every time, while still needing an account if they want to write or dig up old favourites (much less frequent occurrences).

2 - Extremely overzelous autocensoring. If the problem is adult content not behind a login wall, then maybe an autocensor? Hear me out. When not logged in, censor everything sexy, not just swearing (so butt, breasts, ass etc). Use ***s or the same word every time (e.g. 'CLOWNS') so people can't just copy/paste episodes into word and find/replace.

New users can pick up the general quality of episodes, see the amount and variety of them, and from context get an idea of the fetish content, the shape of a sex scene etc, ("She groaned throatily in CLOWNS as her hands caressed her swelling CLOWNS, her CLOWNS dripping with desire.") and hopefully think "Man, that looked like it would be hot if it wasn't for all those clowns. I should make an account, it's free."

Regular users will still be able to call in at the recents quickly and easily to see if there's anything that interests them that they'll bother to log in and look at in full, either then and there or later. As above, they could check quickly whether anyone's followed up an episode and if they had read the censored version could start thinking about where they want to take the story. They could also read/check comments.

3 - Character limits. If you aren't logged in, you can only see the first 750, 1000 etc characters of an episode. Like all the above, randos get a taste and are enticed to more, veterans can do the daily ritual of checking the recents/comments and then log in if they see a storyline they're following/author they like has updated.

4 - A mix of two or more of the above

i hope you're open to at least a little compromise, as like many here I cannot see the addventure surviving in a viable form if regulars can go elsewhere to peruse without logging in and randos cannot see the thing at all.

lurker

• Aficionado
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2017, 10:47:59 PM »
Let me share my personal experience with the BeAddventure:

Ages ago, I ran an Internet search for some fetish of mine and one of the results was a BEAddventure page.  I spent some time looking around, checked out some threads and eventually got the courage to contribute.  I ended up writing some 60 episodes, including setting the foundation for the "Magical Remote 3" storyline, before life decided that it had other plans for me.

Now granted, this is a small contribution compared to some authors that have thousands of episodes under their belt, but even that would not have happened if:
- the bearchive had not been indexed by search engines at that time, or
- there had been an account creation requirement

I have had a free account for quite a while now, and have no intention of getting a paid one since the added value for me is negligible (I can find content that has more appeal for me elsewhere, for free) so I am not personally affected by that decision.  Nevertheless, I feel it important to say that making the bearchive less accessible to new talent is an incredibly shortsighted decision.

PyroWild

• A Cup
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2017, 01:06:38 AM »

Are you serious? I was just convincing a bunch of people on other forums that you hadn't done that because it's clear that you'd have to be out of your mind to think that's not a monumentally stupid idea!

Great, all the work on the Addventure down the tubes because BotComics decided to kill a good thing for no reason.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:33:30 AM by PyroWild »

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2017, 02:29:43 AM »
You've essentially just killed the Addventure, good job. This is such an absolutely awful idea in every regard that is going to drive off the majority of writers and viewers and stop pretty much everybody from discovering it in the first place. Most people, including myself until I was told otherwise, just assumed that the log-in requirement was because the Addventure was offline, so I imagine that most people aren't even going to try to make an account.

This isn't going to get anybody to pay more attention to the main site, and if people can't even see the content then why would they ever be inclined to take the effort to sign up? Sticking your head into the sand and pretending that everything's fine isn't going to change the fact that you killed a good thing for zero gain. There are surely better ways to attract people's attention to the main site than this.

If you refuse to back down on the asinine policy of requiring people to log in just to view it, please at least consider making it so that you only need to log in to post. Absolutely nobody is going to make an account just to see it in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:39:32 AM by Surplus »