TheZookie007

• L Cup
Re: Las Vegas
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 09:03:48 PM »

Our policy has been to advise guests that if they have firearms, to check them into Security where we stow them in a safe. This is based on the honor system. Quite a lot comply. But of course, a lot don't . We are after all, in the hospitality business and not in the Security business. To harden the place to make it " secure " would involve making it as pleasant as the airport which would be intolerable to most of our guests.

When I would travel through India and Pakistan, I would stay in hotels nearly everywhere. Especially in the big cities, when you drive up, your car/taxi would have to go through a magnetometer and/or over a mirrored surface, to check for car bombs under the carriage. Then you would walk up to the front of the hotel, and you'd put your bags on a conveyor belt which would then go through an X-ray machine, while you would walk through a metal detector, at the end of which a dude would wand you down. Total time: 30 seconds. It was nearly seamless and painless; in fact, in my opinion, a better experience than going through any American airport since you didn't have to remove your shoes.

We could learn a lot from other countries...if only...
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 10:44:19 PM »
Speaking of shoe removal, it was because ONE GUY tried to blow up his feet with plastic explosives on an airplane that we have to take off our shoes. That was in December of 2001, and we're still doing it.
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 12:10:44 AM »
And you would think that sometime in the intervening SIXTEEN YEARS they would have come up with a way to detect explosives on shoes without having us take them off.

But I'm sure that it's impossible, and there is no way it could be done. Absolutely no way!!!!

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 12:28:31 AM »
Silencers are a Hollywood invention that does not exist. The correct term is suppressors and they lower the noise level from 145 + decibels to 130 -140 decibels.
You can get subsonic ammunition; which would reduce the crack the bullet makes as it hits the air at twice the speed of sound.  But subsonic ammo has less range.
Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, good buzzing, cool talking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing... #BOOBs

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 08:56:14 PM »
You know what we can do that only the most rabid gun nuts would object to?

1. Let the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms computerize its records. The NRA lobby has hamstrung the ATF with so many "riders" on its budget that the agency is essentially ineffective:

"The success of ATF’s critics in reining in its authority is nowhere more evident than in the bureau’s appropriation statute, which is two pages long, devotes 11 lines to describing the agency’s budget and the remaining 76 lines to proscriptions on its powers. Many of these “riders,” as they’re known, go to the agency’s most basic investigative functions. Two of the riders effectively ban consolidation and computerization of records. One limits access and use of crime gun trace data, while another undermines the credibility of whatever trace data are released. One rider overturns ATF efforts to ban the import of large-capacity shotguns, which the agency found had no “sporting purposes.” Another overturned an ATF regulation to limit the import of dangerous weapons under a law originally designed to protect collectors of “curios and relics."

"Today, gun sale records are kept at 60,000 separate locations by the nation’s 60,000 federal firearms licensees (FFLs). With a centralized database, an ATF agent in possession of a gun found at a crime scene could simply plug the gun’s serial number into a computer and identify the name of the dealer who sold the weapon, along with the name of the first purchaser. Without a database, agents must often embark on a Rube Goldberg-style odyssey, contacting the gun’s manufacturer or a gun’s importer who will direct the agent either to a middleman who sold the weapon to a dealer or to the dealer himself, who can identify the first buyer. Dealers are required to keep records of each firearm transaction. Frequently, however, the records are on paper, and dealers can’t locate particular ones quickly. At the same time, there is no law requiring consolidation of wholesale weapon transfers—those sales by the manufacturer or middleman—which means ATF inspectors have no way of knowing whether a dealer’s ledgers accurately represent all of the guns he has bought or if he is illegally selling guns off the books."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/02/atf-gun-laws-nra/

2. Let the CDC conduct a comprehensive, nationwide study on the causes and effect of gun violence. And give it adequate funding. How can we know the extent of the problem we're trying to deal with if we don't know the extent of the problem?

This gap dates back to a 1996 appropriations bill, known as the Dickey Amendment. The amendment declared that "none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) may be used to advocate or promote gun control.”

While the rule itself does not directly block research on gun violence, it was signed into law along with an earmark that drained money from CDC programs to study gun violence. The $2.6 million in funding originally intended for the program was redirected elsewhere. Since then, the amendment has created a strong chilling effect in the way funding is distributed as well as a lost generation of researchers who study gun violence, Boston University’s Sandro Galea told Newsweek.

In academia, where funding shapes careers, relatively few researchers are willing to stake theirs on studying the issue. As Garen Wintemute, a researcher at the University of California, Davis, told The Atlantic, “I’ve received death threats. It kind of comes with the territory.”

http://www.newsweek.com/government-wont-fund-gun-research-stop-violence-because-nra-lobbying-675794
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 02:53:52 PM »
The ATF isn't allowed to computerize its records??? This is insanity.

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 07:21:29 PM »
Let's just rename it the NRATF and drop all the charades.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 09:42:32 PM »
Additionally we should just declare the NRA a domestic terror organization and be done with it. They're keeping the entire country hostage with their political agenda...

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 10:10:29 PM »
Additionally we should just declare the NRA a domestic terror organization and be done with it. They're keeping the entire country hostage with their political agenda...

As a NRA member I can tell you that dumbass comments like these which demonize us will only make us much more recalcitrant.  >:(

gonZo

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 12:15:08 AM »

As a NRA member I can tell you that dumbass comments like these which demonize us will only make us much more recalcitrant.  >:(

Virtually everyone uses the term "NRA" interchangeably with "the Gun Lobby", and yeah, it's unfair and counterproductive that we don't draw a semantic distinction between the Gun Lobby and rank-and-file NRA members, because those two groups are not even remotely the same.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 02:37:07 AM »
I see what you're saying, but: Rank-and-file NRA members are obliged to keep the leadership of the NRA, aka "the gun lobby", in check. Sadly, that isn't happening, so to some extent, they are responsible as well. Rank-and-file members, who know how important responsible gun ownership and usage is, have been hijacked by rabid gun lobbyists like that LaPierre fellow. It's similar to how the rank-and-file of the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals got hijacked and now the crazies run the asylum.

You might be angry about my characterization of the NRA as a domestic terror group, but look at how the leadership behaves. They are keeping the entire country in their thrall, actively working to prevent the scientific study of the misuse of guns, lobbying against the Surgeon-General, and generally behaving like lunatics.

But don't get angry. As the kids say, "if it don't apply, let it fly."

gonZo

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 10:54:12 AM »
Zook, I'm not angry about anything you wrote; I was trying to clarify for Solvegas that our comments about the NRA aren't intended as personal criticism of regular members. I think there's a wide gulf between the intentions of rank-and-file NRA members and their leadership, but I'm not sure there's a way for the rank-and-file to change things within the organization because the money used to buy off congress doesn't come from membership fees. The leadership is also constantly lying to them that any sort of gun reform is the first step before the liberals take away their guns, which anyone with a grain of common sense knows is never going to happen.

KBTs

• B Cup
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 01:44:06 PM »
^  "... The leadership is also constantly lying to them that any sort of gun reform is the first step before the liberals take away their guns, which anyone with a grain of common sense knows is never going to happen."

With respect and evidence, I disagree.

It will take time to sift through the information available on the Internet, but search for "California SKS Confiscation" and you will eventually piece it together.  It was a voluntary surrender under pain of future felony, so it was not a specifically legally-defined confiscation, though it bore a distinct resemblance to a generally-defined confiscation:

Confiscation \Con`fis*ca"tion\, n. [L. confiscatio.]
     The act or process of taking property or condemning it to be
     taken, as forfeited to the public use.
     [1913 Webster]

My Dad had a type of offending one, and he received one of the many letters from the State DOJ to "register" it which, since he had of course purchased it legally, was described by some (accurately, as it turned out) as an attempt to generate a list of owners for future confiscation.  Later, after "registering" it, he received another of the many letters giving him the 3 options of: surrender to Law Enforcement, verifiable destruction (present destroyed receiver to Law Enforcement), or re-location of the firearm out-of-state.  He chose the latter.  I saw and we discussed the letters, but I do not physically possess them so my information is technically anecdotal.  He died in 2003 and the firearm remains out-of-state.

Check here for verification and perspective:

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jul/23/local/me-25465

Check here for another recent CA confiscation that has support:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/19/california-gun-confiscation-bill_n_3117238.html

And check here for a nationwide perspective that I found...chilling:

http://www.level-headed.net/2013/05/gun-confiscation-in-america/

Yes, various nationwide elected officials do keep proposing confiscation, and the proposed Bills keep getting voted down.  So far.

StrikezOne

• In Need Now More Than Ever
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 03:21:20 PM »
You know what we can do that only the most rabid gun nuts would object to?

What can we do that only the most rabid gun confiscation idiots wouldnt be satisfied with?

You might be angry about my characterization of the NRA as a domestic terror group, but look at how the leadership behaves. They are keeping the entire country in their thrall...

Sure enough, I never saw you condemn any leftist organizations that fit this standard. Can you say BlackLivesMatter is a domestic terror group?
Dark Brandon quietly doing his job:

Highest Inflation in 40yrs
Highest Gas Prices Ever
Forced Vax on Millions of healthy Americans
Highest Mortgage rates in 15yrs
Most Illegal Border Crossings in US History
Loss of Energy Independence
High Taxes
High Crime
Afghanistan Disaster
Nordstream 2 Pipeline
Hunter Corruption/Treason
Vacations > Ohio Train Derailment, Maui Fires
WW3
America LAST

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 05:28:37 PM »

Zook, I'm not angry about anything you wrote; I was trying to clarify for Solvegas that our comments about the NRA aren't intended as personal criticism of regular members. I think there's a wide gulf between the intentions of rank-and-file NRA members and their leadership, but I'm not sure there's a way for the rank-and-file to change things within the organization because the money used to buy off congress doesn't come from membership fees. The leadership is also constantly lying to them that any sort of gun reform is the first step before the liberals take away their guns, which anyone with a grain of common sense knows is never going to happen.

I concur with everything you have said. I would only add that the NRA leadership's characterization of this as "we versus the libruls" is idiotic in the extreme, because gun ownership, and the desire for sensible measures of gun control, and the desire to own guns, goes across the political spectrum. Every time a massacre like this happens, the NRA lies and says "they're coming for our guns" and there's a spike in gun purchases, which puts yet more money in the coffers of gun manufacturers and their gun lobby gets their own kickback -- and yet "they" never come for the guns...because that is not what they wanted to do in the first place. This is insanity.