Lesbian Bob

• F Cup

Re: What brand of hard disk is the favorite among breast enthusiasts?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
Could it be Western Digital because of this new technology? 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11925/western-digital-stuns-storage-industry-with-mamr-breakthrough-for-nextgen-hdds 

Seagate Ironwolf 10 TB or WD Red 10 TB. Each 4 of them.
Anti-social behaviours lack consideration for the well-being of others. Any types of conduct that violates basic rights (human rights is one of them) of another person. It can show as covert or overt hostility.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 10:06:58 PM »
My next project is to get a Synology unit and max it out with eighteen 10TB Western Digital Red hard disks.
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 12:59:19 AM »
My next project is to get a Synology unit and max it out with eighteen 10TB Western Digital Red hard disks.

Or the new 12TB Ironwolf ... They have sensors, the WDs don't. Except you use WD Red Pro.
Anti-social behaviours lack consideration for the well-being of others. Any types of conduct that violates basic rights (human rights is one of them) of another person. It can show as covert or overt hostility.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 02:20:28 AM »
Interesting. I've been a WD man for a loooong time though.

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 08:06:24 AM »
Interesting. I've been a WD man for a loooong time though.

As far I remember the Seagate Ironwolf do have sensors since the 8TB model.

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 06:32:24 PM »
Yes, but did anybody get the pun?

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 05:53:40 AM »
Thanks for hinting. Didn't watch the picture too well yet. But now got it. And I thought the hefty gargantuan capacities are the key ...

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 11:38:40 PM »
Yes, but did anybody get the pun?

Yeah, but I have as much fun talking tech as I do talking MAMmaRies...

Lesbian Bob

• F Cup
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 05:31:31 AM »

Or the new 12TB Ironwolf ... They have sensors, the WDs don't. Except you use WD Red Pro.
Don't all HDs contain at least one sensor?  But in case of mechanical shock it won't protect the drive any sooner.  Or are sensors also being used to compensate for normal vibration from the drive or from other drives?

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 06:43:48 AM »

Don't all HDs contain at least one sensor?  But in case of mechanical shock it won't protect the drive any sooner.  Or are sensors also being used to compensate for normal vibration from the drive or from other drives?

I'm talking about sensors that register vibrations from other drives. The normal WD RED are for SAN with up to 8 bay NAS the WD Red Pro with the additional sensors are recommended for 8-16 bay NAS.

Basically the same with the NAS bays applies for the Seagate IronWolf vs. the IronWolf Pro. But here the 4TB and greater of the IronWolf already have these sensors.

At the end it is maybe only on the paper and both manufacturers have their pro and cons - they certainly do have.

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 03:06:14 AM »
Well for me, its Samsung SSD, my desktop is fast as hell! And the second disk is 2TB disk from Western Digital.

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 07:55:54 AM »
Well for me, its Samsung SSD, my desktop is fast as hell! And the second disk is 2TB disk from Western Digital.

Well I wanted to add the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 PCIE 3.0 x4 to my PC.
I failed because I didn't realize that I own an older model (CPU and chipset) compared to those reports people say the SSD works.

Now I'm back to a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB M.2 SATA III primary disk and a Samsung 850 Pro 2 TB as secondary disk. The secondary disk was no problem to clone because I did it externally in a clone station. The primary disk is a problem right now. The Samsung Migration tool doesn't work for me. I think I have to boot into a Linux now and doing the dd command or similar things to get it working.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:01:01 AM by andrat2000 »

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »
god damn nearly runined my primary disk with the Windows installation. I already knew that creating an image with Windows didn't work. And due to the cloning failures I had before I was stopping the windows snapshot feature and a few other things.

I used unetbootin to create a EFI bootable Clonezilla on my USB stick. I booted into Clonezilla and started the cloning. When I was finished I shut down the PC and swapped old SDD with new SSD. After the startup Windows tried to repair and failed and failed and failed and failed. So I went back to my old SSD. Strangly (not really at the end) Windows also tried to repair that SSD. At the end I got Device not found bla bla bla with error code 0xc000000e.

Nice ...

After a lot of testing I realized that booting into the stick again I could do the fixmbr and a lot of other commands for the rebuildbcd and so on. Finally I got my old SSD working again.

I know what caused the problem. I let Clonezilla do a fsck with the option to repair manually. This was a mistake. On my 2nd turn I just skipped fsck. That helped.

Same for the new SSD. Somehow the copy didn't work in the 1st round, maybe the fsck of the source caused this too. At the end I saw that the volume with the Windows installation was unusable because it was displayed as RAW, which means with errors.

On the 2nd cloning round everything was perfect. The PC immediately came up with the new SSD. The old SSD wasn't damaged either.

What now remains is that my recovery partitition needs to be moved to the end of the SSD because it blocks extending my Primary Volume for the OS.

Maybe I have todo it with Gparted. ... let's see.

And I thought I could use the dd command muahahah. This would have probably never worked with my little Linux knowledge ...

Well the PC is faster with the 850 Evo M.2 than with the old SSD, but not what I originally wanted when buying the 950 Pro M.2. Damn.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 11:16:48 PM »
Phew! I got exhausted just reading all of that. I'm glad you are able to get your SSD back up and running.