Re: Search
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 11:09:48 AM »
Anyway, I've managed to cobble up a solution. I can help with searches if anyone is having trouble finding a particular episode through words or names they might remember.

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 12:12:08 PM »
Anyway, I've managed to cobble up a solution. I can help with searches if anyone is having trouble finding a particular episode through words or names they might remember.

When you say a solution, do you mean to the mysterious "bimbo" issue? Apart from that, I wasn't aware of there being a problem with searching any more, and Adama has recently added a search facility to the Recent Episodes page to make it even easier.
JH

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 04:44:02 PM »

When you say a solution, do you mean to the mysterious "bimbo" issue? Apart from that, I wasn't aware of there being a problem with searching any more, and Adama has recently added a search facility to the Recent Episodes page to make it even easier.

I made a local mirror of the addventure tree and indexed the HTML files. I can do text based searches now. (Kinda like google, but with all episodes considered)

Benji Dude

• G Cup
    • Yahoo groups - archive of my work
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 03:59:52 PM »
Yeah I still get nothing when searching the term "bimbo".  I'm not nearly technical enough to start deciphering why Google does it but it is annoying.

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 10:39:54 PM »
Yeah I still get nothing when searching the term "bimbo".  I'm not nearly technical enough to start deciphering why Google does it but it is annoying.

7000+ episodes with bimbo on it.
i would have guessed more really.

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 10:13:09 AM »
Nice.  :) So you've mirrored the whole addventure? on your own machine? That's might impressive. How long did downloading that lot take?
JH

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 08:04:59 PM »
Nice job.  I'd like to know more about it too.

I've thought about doing my own search-engine implementation for the Addventure, but a) the Addventure server doesn't have the capacity to support it and I don't have a server of my own, and b) Google isn't so bad, assuming that it ever finishes indexing the episodes on the new site.
Adama, Addventure mega-geek

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 01:41:15 PM »
it took about a week, but I intentionally didn't go for an intensive method in order to avoid any possible issues with the server.
it wasn't anything sophisticated, just generating the million plus possible episode addresses into a text file and feeding them to a downloader.
now i'm getting rid of the "create new episode" files to improve performance in the search program.

I tried using a crawler first, but I couldn't get it to work right on the site, probably the same reason google hasn't re-indexed the new site fully either.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:09:55 PM by Freeforall »

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2020, 11:36:22 AM »
Well, I just updated my backup, and I noticed it all fits on a less than 500 mb rar. Adama, should I upload it somewhere so people who want it can have their own? I understand if it's not advisable. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 05:00:20 PM by Freeforall »

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2020, 03:47:37 PM »
Assuming Adama has no objections to your doing that, I'd certainly be interested in downloading it.
JH

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2020, 10:12:27 PM »
You're free to do so...

FYI: about a month ago I finally set up a backup server on Amazon, and there's now an incremental backup of the whole Addventure done each night.  I also wrote a script to run on that machine to extract just the episode files by themselves and put them in a ZIP file.  (In other words, the ZIP file does NOT contain any of the comments or unused episodes).  The ZIP file isn't publicly available, but I could send an updated one to someone if requested.
Adama, Addventure mega-geek