JH_

• F Cup
Big Anniversary Coming Up
« on: June 10, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »
On 19th June it will be the 20th anniversary of the launch of the BE Addventure. Hopefully there will be dancing in the streets and free champagne all round.  :)
JH

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
Re: Big Anniversary Coming Up
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 04:57:13 AM »
Thanks for reminding me...  :(
Adama, Addventure mega-geek

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 03:33:47 PM »
Why the sad face?
JH

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 09:33:09 PM »
Because I'd forgotten.  As admin I should not have...

Mark

• A Cup
  • Mark T: Addventure Launcher
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 07:52:15 AM »
According to the timestamp on episode 2, which is where the story really started, it was Jun 20.  That would make this Wednesday the official 20th anniversary - at least, the 20th anniversary of the first actual chapter.  I had to start the "game" software and get it all configured before adding that first chapter, so it crossed midnight and became the next day.  Man, I even vaguely remember that.  I was living in a tiny, tiny apartment at the time, hacking away at the software on my little computer desk.  LOL!

I see we're running on GMT these days, so I guess for those of us here in California, that means the anniversary starts early Tuesday evening.  Hmmmm!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:55:02 AM by Mark »

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 03:41:55 PM »
Nice to "see" you after all this time, Mark.

Unfortunately I'm going to be away and offline on the 20th, so will miss all the celebrations.
JH

Mark

• A Cup
  • Mark T: Addventure Launcher
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 07:02:29 AM »
Well, I reached my goal, but it was a lot harder than I thought!  Writing 20 episodes all on the 20th of June for the 20th anniversary took me perhaps 7-8 hours over the course of the day.  I had to write ones at work(!), in the morning after I got up, in the evening before dinner and after dinner - basically nearly all day. 

I wanted them to be real episodes, you see, and in places I had at least a passing interest, so I spent time searching through the addventure looking for appropriate places and then spent time actually writing an episode and not just tossing off a one-liner.  I wanted to be sure to have at least one ferret episode, at least one Backstage, at least one Hill House, and at least one Blueberry episode, since those are three of my favorite threads over the years, and the ferrets I remember fondly as the first real "through story" that took off in the BEA that I noticed.  I tried to stick in an "alarm clock easter egg" in most of the episodes, referencing my first episode - and I had a few of them explicitly link back to the root just for nostalgia's sake.

And of course, I wanted to wrap it up with a bit of a signature, so I hunted down the smallest number episode that had yet to be written but was also still in the reachable chain.  I used that episode to sign off the tour and thank everyone.

We'll see how often I add in the future.  I'm sure it won't be daily, but it will be more often than every decade - my work life has settled down to the point where I'm no longer working two jobs and can afford some free time, so I'll hang around the BEA more often I think.

Thanks to everyone for all the support of the BE Addventure over the years, and a big thanks to Adama not only for being admin all these years but also for spurring me to action this year in time to do the real anniversary!  Twenty amazing years... and here's to twenty more!

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 06:41:58 PM »
<big snip>
We'll see how often I add in the future.  I'm sure it won't be daily, but it will be more often than every decade - my work life has settled down to the point where I'm no longer working two jobs and can afford some free time, so I'll hang around the BEA more often I think.

Thanks to everyone for all the support of the BE Addventure over the years, and a big thanks to Adama not only for being admin all these years but also for spurring me to action this year in time to do the real anniversary!  Twenty amazing years... and here's to twenty more!

It's good news that you hope to be around more.

I echo your thanks to Adama, without whose tireless work the addventure wouldn't be nearly such an enjoyable place.
JH

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 03:52:07 AM »
I echo your thanks to Adama, without whose tireless work the addventure wouldn't be nearly such an enjoyable place.

Thanks for yer thanks ;)

Chuck

• Yes, that Chuck.
  • Bow down.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 04:49:58 AM »
Thanks to both of you, and happy 20th to the Addventure!

dkc718

• A Cup
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 10:46:40 AM »
As someone nowhere near their 20th anniversary, let me say that this place really is amazing.   Some months I spend so much time here I burn out and need to take a break--which was what was happening this June.

You rock, Adama.  So do the contributors.

Excelsior!!

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 06:16:53 AM »
Thanks!