wanted: A new laptop (Windows) ...
« on: October 02, 2018, 04:45:59 PM »
What is the current highest end (and I really mean highest end - 4K HDR, 64 GB memory, Core i9 - 8th Gen., space for 2 SSD's, Nvidia GTX 10X0 TI or Quadro) and good looking (aluminium or carbon), thin, Windows laptop that isn't a Macbook Pro 2018?

from DELL? Lenovo? HP? Other?

Fuck the price ... I don't care.

Edit: woahhh.
If it wouldn't be all Chinese ownership the Lenovo ThinkPad P72 in UHD with 128GB memory and XEON CPU would be my choice ...
Why can't non-Chinese owner companies build such a laptop?

Hm or the Dell Precision 7730 or 7530 (with the smaller monitor), the 7730 also goes up to 128GB.

On the HP side it ends at 32GB. It is a bit lame. On the other hand they have a display with over 600 nits, which is the brighter than bright ...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:30:43 AM by andrat2000 »
Anti-social behaviours lack consideration for the well-being of others. Any types of conduct that violates basic rights (human rights is one of them) of another person. It can show as covert or overt hostility.

Re: wanted: A new laptop (Windows) ...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 08:42:56 AM »
Just realized HP also has 64 GB memory laptop in the 17" range.
But their workstation laptops look like fat tanks ... what a design desaster.
Anti-social behaviours lack consideration for the well-being of others. Any types of conduct that violates basic rights (human rights is one of them) of another person. It can show as covert or overt hostility.

bignatslover

• P Cup
    • I love the BEA
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 08:49:47 AM »
Alienware always seems to make the best laptops.  They seem to just run more smoothly, and they outperform other brands that list more power in their technical specifications.

Since you're needing the best performance, may I ask why you want a laptop?  Because in my experience, desktop towers still outperform laptops.  Laptops just get hot and buggy after a while.  I love my custom-made tower with all of its expandable-ness.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 07:24:02 AM »
Alienware always seems to make the best laptops.  They seem to just run more smoothly, and they outperform other brands that list more power in their technical specifications.

Since you're needing the best performance, may I ask why you want a laptop?  Because in my experience, desktop towers still outperform laptops.  Laptops just get hot and buggy after a while.  I love my custom-made tower with all of its expandable-ness.

Sorry for not coming back earlier. I don't have desktop/tower PC's anymore since 10 years. I travel with them.
From the optical design perspective, which is important for me, the Alienware don't meet my taste.
Well a Lenovo ThinkPad P1 or X1 starts to problematic in that area, too. And a ThinkPad P72 even, too.
From this point of view the Dell Precision 7730 or 7530 looks quite better and the XPS models are my taste.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 07:34:21 AM by andrat2000 »

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 11:59:40 AM »
My idea is changing into the direction of bignatslover ...

I configure a Workstation with a lot of RAm. And if required I will access the Workstation via Remote-Desktop from a mobile PC, with lower specifications.

I want to do smoothless video editing and applying LUT. I have 4K footage with 400 MBbit/s. Also 6K footage will come in due time. Some of the footage is HEVC 265 stuff.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 12:17:00 PM by andrat2000 »

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 12:32:04 AM »
And graphics card(s) is clear now, too. It is going to be a Nvidia Quadro P4000 for output to a 4K HDR monitor and a Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti for the number crunching on video edit ... Maybe 2 of the GTX 1080 Ti video cards if enough PCIe 3.0 x16 are available. Or I have to go the PCIe expander way. Or start with 1 and go to 2 later.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 03:52:24 AM »
OK. It is going to be a MONSTER.

This will be my configuration:
HP Z8 G4 with Dual Xeon Gold 6146 (each 12 Cores)
128 GB memory DDR4 (4x 32 GB ECC registred)
Nvidia Quadro P4000 for 10-Bit 5K output
Nvidia GForce 1080 TI for Video calculation
Additionally I will buy the LG 5120 x 2160 pixel display ....

Why the HP Z Workstation? HP provides a remote display solution for their workstations. I can use it from my existing 4K Display Laptop. So I am really not bound to a workstation laptop. My desired laptop would have come out at the same price, but with less power.

The money was originally planned for an other fun-project. But the fun project didn't happen. So now I am using it for this.

bignatslover

• P Cup
    • I love the BEA
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 05:38:52 AM »
OK. It is going to be a MONSTER.

This will be my configuration:
HP Z8 G4 with Dual Xeon Gold 6146 (each 12 Cores)
128 GB memory DDR4 (4x 32 GB ECC registred)
Nvidia Quadro P4000 for 10-Bit 5K output
Nvidia GForce 1080 TI for Video calculation
Additionally I will buy the LG 5120 x 2160 pixel display ....

Why the HP Z Workstation? HP provides a remote display solution for their workstations. I can use it from my existing 4K Display Laptop. So I am really not bound to a workstation laptop. My desired laptop would have come out at the same price, but with less power.
Congratulations!  This all looks really good.  I am glad you didn't get a Lenovo because I have heard they are very undependable (motherboards have cracks in them, wiring is frayed, etc).  I know you were saving up the money for other things, but your computer is going to be far more useful!

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 06:28:50 AM »
The seller was 3 times asking me if I am sure about this choice   ;D  8)

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 08:11:52 AM »
I am glad you didn't get a Lenovo because I have heard they are very undependable
I had a Thinkpad that failed after about a year and wouldn't turn on at all - very disappointed in Lenovo.
Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, good buzzing, cool talking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing... #BOOBs

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 08:42:54 AM »
HP notebooks had some battery and HDD failures in the past. Or on another notebook the GPU/CPU fan started to make really loud noice. I replaced it myself for a new spare part one and after 3 months the noise returned making the notebook really unusable. Not much better ...

On an Asus the battery pack was blowing up after 2 year deforming the case and needed replacement.
On a Medion (a former German manufacturer) notebook sold by a discounter the keys on the touchpad broke away.
On another Notebook from Targa of yet another discounter the hinges to the display broke making it unusable.

So many stories about failed products.

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 08:47:27 AM »
I would not buy ANY CHINESE brand or manufacture since China started its " Social credit " program which is an Orwellian program to spy on their citizens so that the Chinese Communist Party can maintain control of their citizens and as a bonus spy on unwitting foreigners. I now look for where its made so Chinese software and hardware hacks are not built into the machine. Besides, unlike Japan, China has not improved the quality of its branded products. For example, I bought in 1980 a Magnavox 26" CRT TV which worked until 2011 made in the USA. I then bought a new fangled 55" flat screen LG Korean made TV which works just fine and has great picture quality. But then I bought in 2015 a Chinese made COBY Flat screen 32" monitor for my computer and after only 1 1/2 years it failed. I now have a Vizio 32 " screen made in China and it sometimes flickers on and off which pisses me off. >:(  Yes, the monitor were/are cheap but Chinese made goods are definitely caveat emptor ( buyer beware ) type. Since Lenovo bought out IBM's PC subsidiary their quality has gone down. Look at the label and avoid Chinese products. The Chinese have had prescription drug problems and scandals, ch1ld milk scandals, contaminated fish scandals due to corruption and hardly anybody gets in trouble since they are cronies of China's absolute ruler, XI Jinping. If the Chinese care so little about their own people, why should they care about foreigners ? :(

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 09:34:38 AM »
Like always it is not so simple.

What do you think where a lot of the parts of HP, Dell personal computers come from, or servers from HPE, Dell, IBM and many others?

You guessed it from China.

Apple iPhone ... assembled in China, same for many Android phones ....

As I said it's not so simple.

It is often true, but not always: If you buy cheap you buy 2 times (or more often).
Best example I had was a paper shredder. I bought 3 cheap ones. Each around 30 or 40 Euros. All three died in short time. Now I have a paper shredder for over 300 Euro ... and it runs and runs and runs ..

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 09:57:45 AM »
^ Mostly true as of now BUT China itself is starting to lose much manufacturing to places like Vietnam, Bangladesh, Indonesia and others because the Chinese are demanding excessive technology transfers and because they are even cheaper. Also, these countries are not involved in a economic war against the US and the West overall like China. China has been stealing from others for the last 30 years and it is now aggravating their relationship with others. The Chinese miracle is ending and the Chinese may yet suffer from that old curse throughout their very long history, living in interesting times.

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 12:05:06 PM »
I think your sources you get your informations from are either biased or incomplete.
There would be more to say, but then it would change into a political thread.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 04:02:13 PM by andrat2000 »