Re: wanted: A new laptop (Windows) ...
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »
The order for the Workstation is done the monitor, too.

The Nvidia GTX 1080 TI is a problem right now. There are so many versions out for different gamer editions etc. but if I look at a price portal they went up by 40-50% the last 2 -3 months. This is something against my spirits. While I have no problem for the money for the above Workstation, but this 50% rise in a few months I don't want to support. I wait a few months.
I have no pressure. With the Nvidia Quadro P4000 I have a high-end professional graphics card and I can already do everything with it. The GTX 1080 TI comes a bit later.
Anti-social behaviours lack consideration for the well-being of others. Any types of conduct that violates basic rights (human rights is one of them) of another person. It can show as covert or overt hostility.

bignatslover

• P Cup
    • I love the BEA
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2018, 03:55:04 PM »
this 50% rise in a few months
Yep, I guess you heard by now that it was one of the video cards preferred by "Bitcoin Miners".  So insane demand drove the prices up.

Bitcoin has had a tough year to say the least, and I am hoping it will decline so that these video card prices will follow suit.  Then one day you can buy your GTX 1080 TI and we will throw a little party online here with you.  I will definitely pour some of my finest whiskey.   8)

For now, I hope your machine is doing everything you want it to.  For me, getting a new computer customized and worn in just the way I want it is one of life's pleasures. 

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2018, 04:18:55 PM »
this 50% rise in a few months
Yep, I guess you heard by now that it was one of the video cards preferred by "Bitcoin Miners".  So insane demand drove the prices up.

Bitcoin has had a tough year to say the least, and I am hoping it will decline so that these video card prices will follow suit.  Then one day you can buy your GTX 1080 TI and we will throw a little party online here with you.  I will definitely pour some of my finest whiskey.   8)

For now, I hope your machine is doing everything you want it to.  For me, getting a new computer customized and worn in just the way I want it is one of life's pleasures.

The prices were falling since August into September / October for that card, but nowthe GTX 1080TI is not produced anymore since the RTX 2080 TI is available. This is the reason why the prices went up, together with the demand of the miners.

So I will buy the RTX 2080 TI after Christmas.

The machine arrived today. First warming up indoorts and thus I wasn't turning it on yet. This will come Monday when the monitor also arrives ...

Luckily I have a few spare SATA 6 Tb and 4Tb disks laying around that I will include in the setup.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 04:41:39 PM by andrat2000 »
Anti-social behaviours lack consideration for the well-being of others. Any types of conduct that violates basic rights (human rights is one of them) of another person. It can show as covert or overt hostility.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 04:43:07 PM »
The interior of the Monster ...

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 08:00:56 PM »
What are you using for your backup system?
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 05:23:25 AM »
What are you using for your backup system?

I don't follow the 3-2-1 rule all the time. 3 copies of data, 2 different devices and 1 outside the house.

My Big Boob stuff goes to a Synology NAS DS 415play with 4x 8 TB WD Red without further backup ...

For my private data I use a Synology NAS DS916+ with 4x 10 TB Ironwolf Disks.
Videos and photos go there directly ... also without backup yet.

For important data I store them locally on the PC and the data are replicated with Synology Drive into my private cloud on the DS916+. It is similar like OneDrive for Business.
This means I have 2 copies this way. I also have setup Active Backup for Business todo daily incremental backup of the OS and Data drives, also going to the DS916+. Then from time to time I backup this important data to a drive connected via USB 3.0. My gap so far. I don't store it outside the house.

The other gab is that the Video and Picture data don't have a backup yet. This burns on my nails, most right now. But with this new WS I will include internal disks and copy all the videos, there and then setup the Synology drive again. That moment I have 2 copies. But still I wouldn't have a copy outside, because I don't have the free disks anymore .. ;-)

I consider a 3rd Synology NAS, sooon. A DS1019+ which should come out soon. Then I will migrate the DS918+ to the DS1019+, the 415play to the DS918+ and the DS415 play will be used as backup device for the data to be brought outside.

bignatslover

• P Cup
    • I love the BEA
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 05:30:01 AM »
It's a beaut.

Does temperature become an issue?  I remember for a while everyone had their towers full of cooling tubes.  Was that just a fad?

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 07:37:52 AM »
It's a beaut.

Does temperature become an issue?  I remember for a while everyone had their towers full of cooling tubes.  Was that just a fad?

I actually can't tell about heat problems in the latest HW. My old tower ran from 1998 - 2010, with many upgrades inbetween, but I used a notebook much more often since approx. 2005. So I can't compare 20 year old technology with the recent ones.

For the HP Z8 G4 I didn't run it yet under full load. The two CPU each have a very high cube with cooler and fan. And the left upper part you can close has some plastic directing the air flow from the cooler&fan directly towards the tower fan and then outside. Only parts of the aif flow go inside. The memory banks have a seperate fan. The lower part with the PCI cards is more or less seperated by the upper part with the plastic construction. So it gets a seperate cooling area.

When I start the monster or when it recovers from s(leep) the fans are temporarily louder. Maybe as loud as my old HP notebook from 2010 without load and about the same loudness as my ASUS notebook under full load from 2015. But both have high hissing sound, while the tower sound is deeper.
After that intial higher speed running fans the fan speed goes down after 30 seconds and then you hardly can hear it. My Synology Disksatitions are louder.

At the moment the tower is still on my desk. Later it will go below the desk on a computer holder from IKEA  ;D Don't know if they still have this in their program:
https://de.ikea-club.org/item/30090438.html
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:45:32 AM by andrat2000 »

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 03:41:54 AM »
When I finish my move I will definitely upgrade my current backup system to a Synology.

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 04:49:50 AM »
But lookup for the "+" Modells.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 09:35:43 PM »
But lookup for the "+" Modells.

I definitely will, thanks.

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 04:34:10 PM »
Ahhh, I have since 2 years a Samsung NVME SSD 950 Pro with 512 GB laying around because it wasn't compatible with my laptop. The MONSTER has an internal PCIE x8 slot that requires proprietary module cards as HP Z TurboDual Drive. Beside the 512 GB M.2 SSD for the OS it has 1 more place (dual), I finally found a place for that spare SSD.

NowI just need to find out if that Intel Chipset in combination with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology would be able to use SATA SSD's to use as cache for HDD's. This would meanI could cache my 2x6TB WD Red disks.

By the way this MONSTER is already able to process 8K. :-D
Well, I could have added 2000 Euro to the price tag of my monitor to get 8K, but somehow this would be too much for me, too.

Re: wanted: A new tower workstation (Windows) ...
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 02:55:07 AM »
And now I ordered the additional graphic card. A ZOTAC Nvidia GeForceŽ RTX 2080 Ti AMP! Edition 11GB. Cost was 1349 Euro.

To complete my setup now if remaining only a small grading panel for 1000 Euro and two 2TB EVO 970 NVMe SSD's totalling another 1000 Euro.
:D

Then everything alltogether built into and around the monster is about 15.000 Euro. It is the price for the biggest iMac Pro setup, but with at least double of that performance.

Or it is the price for a good BBL with own fat and additonal macrolane filler!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:55:41 AM by andrat2000 »

BacE

• F Cup
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 09:47:37 AM »
And here I thought my 5.000 euro (7 year old) computer was expensive. ;D
Size doesn't matter, as long as it's HUGE!!

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 09:28:38 AM »
Now with the "ZOTAC Nvidia GeForceŽ RTX 2080 Ti AMP! Edition 11GB" plugged in I was running the Passmark test. They have currently 1.14 million uploaded data sets.

And my monster is on the top 1% (or 99th percentile) of all PC's world wide with submitted test results.

Similar HP G4 Z8 workstation from other users have 12 other submissions. And mine is on rank 2
 8)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 04:08:28 PM by andrat2000 »