Re: wanted: A new laptop (Windows) ...
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 09:35:07 AM »
Now with the "ZOTAC Nvidia GeForceŽ RTX 2080 Ti AMP! Edition 11GB" plugged in I was running the Passmark test. They have currently 1.14 million uploaded data sets.

And my monster is on the top 1% (or 99th percentile) of all PC's world wide with submitted test results.

A similar HP G4 Z8 workstation from other users got 12 submissions. And mine is on place 2
 8)

And here the HP G4 Z8 comparisons.

And the graphics card is running just with the default values from Nvidia. No overclocking done - even the card and fans are designed for overclocking.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:44:12 AM by andrat2000 »
Anti-social behaviours lack consideration for the well-being of others. Any types of conduct that violates basic rights (human rights is one of them) of another person. It can show as covert or overt hostility.

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2019, 09:14:03 AM »
So I am playing a bit around.

4K 8-Bit H.264 MP4 videos with 59,94 frame rate as source and aligned to 24 minutes movie exported to H.264 mp4 same frame rate is about 100 frames per second on encoding to a total of 15 minutes. My old laptop as far as I remember was at 4 or 6 fps on encoding.

The same project exported to H.265 mp4 and same frame rate is about 75-80 fps and about 21 minutes for export encoding. My old PC couldn't encode H.265.

I expected it to be a bit faster like 160 fps on H.264 and 120fps on H.265, but the big graphics card is at 100% now when doing the encoding. But I have not yet optimized the editing software.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 09:20:05 AM by andrat2000 »
Anti-social behaviours lack consideration for the well-being of others. Any types of conduct that violates basic rights (human rights is one of them) of another person. It can show as covert or overt hostility.

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2019, 08:32:26 AM »
I think I did one mistake on order of this configuration. I should have asked the sales rep (or better he should have told me) that with dual CPU in every memory bank should have been 1 memory module to gain the full performance. I was wondering why 1 CPU went up in usage to 30-40% while the other one stayed at 5-10 % not doing so much work ...
This means I would need 20 additional memory modules now ... another 7k or 8k Euros ... mh let's see if I want this. At the moment the performance for what I do is enough. It's just that I like things done well and complete.

BacE

• F Cup
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2019, 09:16:05 AM »
you only need 8 more identical (to the 4 you already have) memory modules, 2 x 6 channels.
This should've been 2 hexa-channel kits, the modules in these kits are tested together so there are no speed differences.
In my old system I got 2 quad-channel kits, they were a bit more expensive, but well worth it.

So you probably going to have replace the memory you already have installed with 2 hexa channel ecc kits
Size doesn't matter, as long as it's HUGE!!

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2019, 11:55:31 AM »
you only need 8 more identical (to the 4 you already have) memory modules, 2 x 6 channels.
This should've been 2 hexa-channel kits, the modules in these kits are tested together so there are no speed differences.
In my old system I got 2 quad-channel kits, they were a bit more expensive, but well worth it.

So you probably going to have replace the memory you already have installed with 2 hexa channel ecc kits

Thanks, so I should think about 8 more modules. I didn't consider these kits before. And the dealer I bought from sells demo and re-furbished HW of HP. He is an official HP partner. I have the full guarantee. So this "monster" is anyway a former demo hardware and the memory is from his bulk stock. If I look at above performance test I might have been lucky with 4 good modules anyway.

BacE

• F Cup
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 12:58:51 PM »
the question remaines, will these 4 behave with 2 new ones. If the timing is of between modules they will either behave like single (dual or triple) channel or cause in worst case instability (system crash). So my suggestion would be, buy at least 1 hexa channel kit for 1 processor and try 2 modules with the four you already have. At least one processor will have optimal memory bandwith this way.
But if you want optimum performance, try and return the 4 modules you have and buy 2 hexa channel kits. 2x 48 GB for starters, you can always upgrade in the future with 2 more kits

I myself got 2x 32GB of quad channel and it has always been enough, but I only have a single hex-core cpu.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:03:13 PM by BacE »
Size doesn't matter, as long as it's HUGE!!

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2019, 02:23:36 PM »
Well ... for my original fun project that didn't happen, I reserved a budget of total 25.000 Euro.

Part of it I spent on travels instead. I helped a model from the US with 1.9k $US to buy a MacBook Pro, so she could continue her online precense and earnings. Bought some camera stuff, like a tele zoom lens for my camera. And for the rest I decided to go into this monster. The budget is close to the end.

But with buying new memory hex channel memory kits, I am not really prepared right now.

There was a reason I went for the 32 GB memory modules. This monster will work for me many years, maybe more than a decade, like my last workstation from 1998. And I am going to upgrade the memory over the years for my other stuff I do on it.

I have to s*l*e*e*p (since the censor script will remove it) a few times over it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 02:27:01 PM by andrat2000 »