rtpoe

• Old Fart
Artificial Intelligence - general thoughts and comments
« on: November 03, 2023, 09:38:50 PM »
We've got threads for AI images, and I'd rather not clog those up with general commentary on AI.

So, that's what this is for.

I note that currently, AI is most commonly used for text generation and image creation. Those are "expert systems", not true AI. Chat GPT can't produce a picture of George Washington riding a motorcycle in a thunderstorm, and DALL-E isn't going to be spewing out an essay on euphemisms in Shakespeare's sonnets anytime soon. They can do one thing - not multiple things like a real person.

Anyway.....

rtpoe

Among the blossoms, under dewy skies,
With golden bells, and wreaths, and posies,
With bees’ love-tokens, butterflies’ good-byes,
We welcome May and say good-bye to roses.

-  Christina Rosetti, "May Morning"

Bramlet

Re: Artificial Intelligence - general thoughts and comments
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 03:11:21 PM »
Great caricature – all what's needed to say! Hypocrits – as usual.

I reject AI 110%.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 07:56:55 PM »
AI has created a new form of sexual abuse
How do you stop deepfake nudes?
https://www.vox.com/24145522/ai-deepfake-apps-teens-ban-laws

However, users don’t need a specific app to make nonconsensual nude images; many AI image generators could potentially be used in this way. Legislators could require developers to put guardrails in place to make it harder for users to generate nonconsensual nude images, [Britt Paris, an assistant professor of library and information science at Rutgers who has studied deepfakes] said. But that would require challenging the “unchecked ethos” of AI today, in which developers are allowed to release products to the public first and figure out the consequences later, she said.

“Until companies can be held accountable for the types of harms they produce,” Paris said, “I don’t see a whole lot changing.”
rtpoe

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2024, 09:41:28 PM »
AI images and the decline of Deviant Art

The Tragic Downfall of the Internet’s Art Gallery
Once a vibrant platform for artists, DeviantArt is now buckling under the weight of bots and greed—and spurning the creative community that made it great.
By Nitish Pahwa

https://slate.com/technology/2024/05/deviantart-what-happened-ai-decline-lawsuit-stability.html

As VFX animator Romain Revert (Minions, The Lorax) pointed out on X, the bots had come for his old home base of DeviantArt. Its social accounts were promoting “top sellers” on the platform, with usernames like “Isaris-AI” and “Mikonotai,” who reportedly made tens of thousands of dollars through bulk sales of autogenerated, dead-eyed 3D avatars. The sales weren’t exactly legit—an online artist known as WyerframeZ looked at those users’ followers and found pages of profiles with repeated names, overlapping biographies and account-creation dates, and zero creations of their own, making it apparent that various bots were involved in these “purchases.”

It’s not unlikely, as WyerframeZ surmised, that someone constructed a low-effort bot network that could hold up a self-perpetuating money-embezzlement scheme: Generate a bunch of free images and accounts, have them buy and boost one another in perpetuity, inflate metrics so that the “art” gets boosted by DeviantArt and reaches real humans, then watch the money pile up from DeviantArt revenue-sharing programs. Rinse, repeat.

After Revert declared this bot-on-bot fest to be “the downfall of DeviantArt,” myriad other artists and longtime users of the platform chimed in to share in the outrage that these artificial accounts were monopolizing DeviantArt’s promotional and revenue apparatuses. Several mentioned that they’d abandoned their DeviantArt accounts—all appearing to prove his dramatic point.

Worse still, DeviantArt showed little desire to engage with these concerns: Film concept artist Reid Southen (The Woman King, Jupiter Ascending) pointed out that the site’s social media managers had hidden dozens and dozens of critical replies to the tweet that boosted Mikonotai.

---

To take it from the publishing industry, A.I. is already decimating once-common job prospects. An April report from the Society of Authors found that 26 percent of the illustrators surveyed “have already lost work due to generative A.I.” and about 37 percent of illustrators “say the income from their work has decreased in value because of generative A.I.”

There’s little relief to be found in other sectors like gaming, where companies like Activision are already hiring young artists to “polish” generative-A.I. output. Or even in cinema, per the Canadian artist: “I’ve heard stories about companies going all in on A.I. imagery for matte paintings for movies—those sorts of things that used to be done by a digital artist—and then discovering that A.I. can’t take feedback.”

>:( >:( >:( >:( :'(
rtpoe