English has many influences... including German, Anglo-Saxon and even Latin, from the times of the War of the Roses and the Roman Empire... If I'm not mistakened, England was first formed by the Angles (so, England would be a form of the Land of the Angles), when they had their first settlement in the Brittish isles, and was later invaded by Germanic tribes (somewhere in their history, IF the Angles were not a Germanic tribe, then they English would have been based on this specific Germanic tribe of the Angles)... Then, they had the Roman troops conquer The British isles and English had influences from Latin, specially from the Catholic Church... then they were invaded by the Saxon, and they influenced English too (more then Latin, I would guess, 'cause I've always heard that English was an Anglo-Saxon language)... then, on the War of the Roses (I think that's what it was called), one of the wars where England fought France, England received influences from the French, and the French language was also influened by the English language... So, actually, English is a mix-up of many different origins...