I think I've stated this before (if not in this thread, then elsewhere), but....
On the one hand, there are women who require more than one surgery to get to their target size. I'll be daring and say that not all women who require more than one surgery are shooting for 3000cc (eg, it could be a more modest 1500-2000cc).
On the other than we have the controversial string implants, which have a reputation for unchecked growth.
Somewhere in the middle there exists the transition technology of post-op expandable implants. Which, if you think about it, has the fundamental ability to grow, like the string implants. The significant difference is that the post-op expandables have known minimum and maximum (recommended) cc volumes prior to surgery. However, a) the delta between minimum and maximum in the post-op expandable pales in comparison to the string implant, and b) the rate of growth is determined by how often the patient returns to the doctor post-op, and how much is added each time, whereas the string implants seem to grow at a rate the body determines.
It seems obvious to me that one could use string implants to allow the breasts to grow to the target size (or perhaps just shy of the target size), then have another surgery to switch to traditional implants.
Benefits include:
- the breasts grow at a rate the tissue more gently accomodates, as opposed to suddenly being made to deal with a dramatic change
- the woman gets to gradually get used to the changes, psychologically and socially
- rather than guesstimating "yeah, I want 2000cc", the woman can decide to switch to traditional implants when she feels she's reached a size she's happy with, which could mean changing to traditional implants sooner than she originally planned on, or holding off until they're big enough for the switch, which means phrases like "I wish I'd gone bigger" or "I wish I hadn't gone so big" should become quite a bit less common than they currently are
Food for thought.
Jim{ruby}