Surliness. Burrrn!
At any rate, as far as the 'next big thing' goes, this is nothing new. As a good example, I once read a book by Dr. Alexander Cannon... can't even remember why that name would stick with me, but there it is. It was called "Powers that Be" and it held a number of then revolutionary ideas that are only JUST gaining publicity today. Problem was, the last chapter talks about a mathematical formula for predicting the end of the world.
Well, before that date, the book sold hundreds of thousands of copies. When that date came and went, of course then good Doc Cannon was just nuts.
Wasted space? Probably not. It wasn't a well known fact, but the date the good ol' Doc had gotten from his formula was the day Hitler came to power... Obviously the world didn't end, but the permutations of his equation didn't SAY anything about the end of the world. They, when different base variables were supplied, came up with such dates as those that coincided with earth quakes, fires, wars, and many other famous disasters. I recall reading about a guy that had continued using the equation on Unsolved Mysteries...
Back to DNA. We have figured out the general uses of some junk DNA we contain, by cross checking with many other, far more simple, types of life. If nothing else, junk DNA can act as a history for evolution, by seeing which animals share similar lines, even if millions of years separate them. Also, a genetic defect in these codes still causes problems from the beginning, not the least of which is cancer. A common theory I've heard likens them to computer programming. If anyone out there knows C++ (and I'm sure we have at LEAST a dozen), they could be thought of as includes. If you ever go back and look through the code of a lot of those NECESSARY includes, it looks positively antiquated. Rewriting them would be a snap! ... But then of course, I found out that in MY rewriting techniques, I was including a few of the antiquated codes I was trying to replace...
In genetics it could be much the same way. Our own Junk DNA is antiquated and not directly used, but it still has to be there to tell the CURRENT, more high level codes what they should be doing...
Or, it's possible that all of that is bullshit. After all, I can't cite source... I don't remember who told me that analogy. Thoughts?
~Flash_obj{ cout: "Includes are the devil"
Bigger_RGB(0,0,0};