rtpoe

• Old Fart
Re: The New Doctor Who
« Reply #615 on: July 17, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »
Jodie Whitaker played the female lead in Attack the Block, which I strongly recommend. Check it out if you want to get an idea of her acting chops.
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

Robin_K2

• A Cup
« Reply #616 on: July 17, 2017, 08:19:01 PM »
A truly wacky mind-experiment that just occurred to me:

The Doctor travels back from our current time to become Romana.

salem

« Reply #617 on: July 18, 2017, 04:32:09 AM »
Jodie Whitaker played the female lead in Attack the Block, which I strongly recommend. Check it out if you want to get an idea of her acting chops.

I loved her in that. She was brilliant.

To be fair, she might be a good Doctor Who, but as a traditionalist I would have preferred a male actor in the role. Nothing sexist about it, I watch Supergirl and really enjoy it, even if it is pretty much a gender reversed version of Smallville where Cat Grant = Perry White, Winn = Chloe, Lena Luthor = Lex Luthor, Lilian Luthor = Lionel Luthor and Kara = Clark etc.

One thing did annoy me with regards to the casting. Had the new showrunner said that he chose her because she was the best person for the role, then fine, but he said he always wanted a woman to play it. Surely that is discrimination? It is just as bad as saying you only considered men for the role. Then of course you have all the feminists tweeting 'YES' in block capitals and running round punching their fists in the air like it was them that cast her and not Chris Chibnall! Worst of all is all the people who scream that 'it is about time Doctor Who was a woman' and that 'It needed something because it had got stale'. I would point out that...

The lead actor
The companion
The Sonic Screwdriver
The Opening titles
The TARDIS interior
The Theme Music    and...
The Production team

changes every few years, not to mention that every story basically takes place in a different time and place. Add all that up and you have the least stale TV show in history!

Compare that to something like Friends or Smallville, the basic core cast stays the same, theme music stays the same, they use the same sets and it is set in the same place and time. By comparisson these programs would be the stalest ever compared to Doctor Who.

And don't even get me started on the 'it's about time' comment. Why exactly? Because he has been a man for over 50 years? Does that mean when I am 54 I am going to have to have gender reassignment surgery because 54 years is enough time as a man and it is about time I tried life as a woman? Let's not forget that it has only been in the last few years that they made comments (and eventually showed on screen) that Time Lords could change gender.

It really does smack a little bit like something to boost interest in the show and get people curious about it again. The show has received a lot of criticism in recent years, maybe this is their way of trying to grab as many headlines as possible. It is also a good way of avoiding criticism of another kind, because if they had cast another white male, like my personal choice, Kris Marshall, then the media (female media in particular) would have groaned and moaned that again minorities and females had been overlooked and that yet again the Doctor was another white male. Well why shouldn't he be? Is it so wrong to be a leading white male in a TV series these days?

From a more personal perspective it is nice that my daughter and I can 'share' a hero. She isn't even two yet but I am hoping she grows to love the show as much as me. I really do wish Jodie Whittaker all the best and hope she does a good job, I also hope she is written well. Don't write her as a woman, write her as THE DOCTOR and all will be fine.

In fact if you take her from the promo and plonk her into any Sylvester McCoy episode and have Ace and Mel played by men, then would it be much different?

I only hope they don't stick in phrases like 'women do it better' etc all the time with a knowing wink and a nod and dumb down all the male villians just to try and make her look smarter. She will need good strong villians to come up against.

I will look forward to the new series to see what happens and how the writers handle it, I do feel that if the storylines play up the female aspect instead of the alien aspect, it could get a bit grating.

Finally, it will be very interesting in future years when they get ready to announce a new Doctor. You will have a re-igniting of the 'battle of the sexes' with boys, girls, women and men sitting on the edge of their seats, hoping that the Doctor will be on 'their' side so they can ensure they have the bragging rights as to the gender of the new Doctor for as long as they are in the role.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #618 on: July 24, 2017, 07:42:22 PM »
So I just got around to watching "World Enough and Time" / "The Doctor Falls".....

And the science nerd in me has some real problems.

Yes, gravitational time dilation is a real thing. It's been measured, and GPS satellites need to take it into account. I don't have a problem with that.

What I *do* have a problem with is that if the gravity from the black hole was strong enough to produce the observed time dilation effect (seconds at the front of the ship equal hours - at least - at the back of the ship), the gravity would also be strong enough to spaghettify it!

If you say that the ship's internal gravity generators were strong enough to counter that, then you have to assume that the designers knew they'd need it - and if they plotted the ship's course to go anywhere near a black hole, they were insane. And they'd have also given it engines powerful enough to escape....

And if you assume that much of a difference, how the hell do you communicate between levels? How do the lifts work? How the heck hasn't the rear of the ship decayed away?

Other than that, good episodes. Though I thought Bill should have gotten a less contrived exit. And I want to know if Missy, knowing what was going to happen to her, would have prepared for it....
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.

CarlTL

• ZZZ Cup
  • King of the Avatars
« Reply #619 on: July 24, 2017, 08:00:53 PM »
Knowing the Master, the Master will be back.

Quadhouse

• F Cup
    • quadhouse.deviantart.com
« Reply #620 on: July 25, 2017, 04:28:17 AM »
Knowing the Master, the Master will be back.

He always comes back.
“HEY, HOLD UP!” Chaka said.  She turned to Jade, “Did you just say that there are monsters in the sewers?”

Jade looked up at her sempai and smiled, “I’m sorry, but as a Junior Waste Management Technician, I am not authorized to discuss this issue.”

For a long time, the whole group stared at the little girl in horror as she licked the spoon.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #621 on: July 25, 2017, 10:03:03 PM »
Here's a FREAKING AWESOME essay on the new Doctor...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/woman-explaining-things/

A Woman, Explaining Things by Sarah Gailey

The women who have walked alongside the man who understands the shape of time have always shared one unifying trait: courage.

They face the unknown, things that they thought impossible, things that they don’t understand. And they are brave enough to listen as those things are explained to them.

Even when they don’t grasp the new things the same way that the man explaining the new things to them does—even then, they are brave enough not to hate the things they don’t comprehend.

I think about those generations of women, and I cannot help but wonder about the furious people.

If they had the opportunity—if this new woman arrived at their front door with an extended hand, inviting them to come into the blue box with her and see a universe full of new and frightening things—I wonder what these furious people would do.

I wonder if any of them would be brave enough to accompany her.

rtpoe

Mr_Pickles

• Bigger than your head
  • Lover of all maner of boobs
« Reply #622 on: July 26, 2017, 08:16:09 AM »
Here I thought Bits were respectful people yet ever since the announcement they have been saying the most sexist shit they can think of. Boy, they sure had me fooled.
“I don’t like tit for tat. I like tit for tit. Bring on the boobies!”
Jarod Kintz

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #623 on: July 26, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
Here I thought Bits were respectful people yet ever since the announcement they have been saying the most sexist shit they can think of. Boy, they sure had me fooled.
You can't generalise about countries.  Brits (I am one) are like everyone else - some are wankers.
Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, good buzzing, cool talking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing... #BOOBs

Mr_Pickles

• Bigger than your head
  • Lover of all maner of boobs
« Reply #624 on: July 27, 2017, 08:12:36 AM »
You can't generalise about countries.  Brits (I am one) are like everyone else - some are wankers.

I apologize, but what they are saying about this poor woman is almost as disgusting as the alt-right over here.
“I don’t like tit for tat. I like tit for tit. Bring on the boobies!”
Jarod Kintz

salem

« Reply #625 on: July 30, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »
In cheerier news, Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat's collaborator on the revived 'Sherlock' will be acting his socks off in the Christmas special as a character called 'The Captain'. Early teaser trailer for the Christmas special looks really good.

salem

« Reply #626 on: August 05, 2017, 04:13:42 AM »
It isn't the first time a character in a Sci-Fi series has changed gender. In the TV series Star Trek: The Next Generation episode 'The Host', Dr Crusher becomes romatically inclined towards a Trill mediator. Of course as any Star Trek fan can tell you, the Trill is a symbiotic creature which lives inside a host (usually humanoid) and although in the Next gen episode the host has the dominant personality, in the spin-off show Deep Space Nine, the Trill and host had a blending of personalities. Anyway, in that episode the Trill host dies and Riker takes on the Trill for a limited time before a new host can be found, the new host is... a woman! So Dr Crusher feels she cannot carry on a relationship as it would be too weird (annoying the LGTB community no end no doubt). In the spin-off show a major character, Jadzia Dax (played by the lovely Terry Farrell) is a Trill whose previous incarnation was male, Curzon. Which is why Commander Sisco calls her 'old man' as he knew Dax in its previous body.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #627 on: January 18, 2018, 10:43:32 PM »
In cheerier news, Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat's collaborator on the revived 'Sherlock' will be acting his socks off in the Christmas special as a character called 'The Captain'. Early teaser trailer for the Christmas special looks really good.

So, what did people think of "Twice Upon a Time"?

I think David Bradley aced the First Doctor, and it was a refreshing change from a lot of the usual season-enders where the Doctor had to save the entire universe.
rtpoe

salem

« Reply #628 on: January 20, 2018, 05:27:28 PM »
I enjoyed it. David Bradley was superb, I would like to see them re-film some of the lost episodes with him as the Doctor. Imagine 'Marco Polo' re-done with Bradley as the Doctor.

Unusual to have a Regeneration episode with two Doctors in it, a nice send off for Capaldi though. 

salem

« Reply #629 on: September 24, 2018, 06:43:36 AM »
It's almost time...