Neato, thanks!

I got off on the wrong foot altogether by emulating Betty Boop, which has a lot to do with the wide set eyes and low mouth. Starting with a new batch of comics today, this probably counts as another evolutionary step, where I'm trying to dispel all that strangeness from her face altogether, not necessarily to make her more realistic, but to make her cuter, more lovely.
Unfortunately, now that you mention it, I'm probably still doing the neck thing.
But where I am trying to find inspiration now is Al Capp's Li'l Abner, which is probably closer to the type of "realism" I should be shooting for. That's also the linework I'm working towards, using a pen nib which is easier on my hand and wrist (I had a pretty painful bout of carpal tunnel's syndrome a little while back).
Sorry I was gone all of last month. After that bout of carpal tunnel's syndrome, I thought I had a chance at a local job, but nothing came of it. I was also trying to do some digital paintings, which I thought might lead to some revenue -- the first one turned out pretty good, and I thought I would follow that up with one of Beryl -- but it came out awful. I've got a lot more work to do. :/
Then the heat at the end of the month -- I've been trying to figure out what I was doing with the current comics, a sequence that should have been over real fast, and realized I skipped some important stuff. Where it leads would make no sense now.
Although I needed the reader input, I started the series too fast. It seems like the farther along I go, the more clear it becomes what it SHOULD have been, if that makes any sense. Also, being hot and tired and broke has made my recent writing less funny. I need to write more jokes.
I need to take a little more time now, I think, to plan and SCRIPT AHEAD. So for now, I'm going to let the characters act out a classic play, my version of Twelfth Night, which you can see in progress here (the intro has already been posted as a comic):
http://www.antelucan.com/text/twelfthnight.htmlIt's early yet in the script's progress, and I'm going to update it virtually live from my text editor as I go along (the text editor formats the HTML and I send it to my site by typing "ftp"). The main series is also going to be scripted that way.
The additional value of doing the play within the comic is that I can bring more animal and human characters on stage and try them out, and prepare them for the feature comic, and doing the classic story helps me focus at a time when it's really hard to do so.