MaxBigfoot

• ZZZ Cup
  • Maximum Manga Maven
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #1500 on: November 01, 2016, 06:03:28 PM »
Wow, he had a good run.  I'd love to make 98 myself.

MaxBigfoot

To change Forum settings so that you see 50 topics per page:
Go to Forum Profile
Hover cursor over "Modify Profile" button in top left
Select "Look and Layout"
Scroll to "Topics to display per page", select 50 in dropdown menu
Click on "Change Profile" at bottom right of page.

You can also change "Messages to display per page" to 50 in the same way.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1501 on: November 10, 2016, 11:20:12 PM »
JANET RENO (1938-2016)

Born in Southern Florida on the edge of the Everglades in a house built by her mother, she attended Cornell and earned a degree in chemistry. Harvard Law School was next, where she was one of 16 women in the Class of 1963. She later said she wanted to become a lawyer "because I didn't want people to tell me what to do."

After law school, Reno worked for four years as an associate at Brigham & Brigham, before becoming partner at Lewis & Reno, where she stayed for four years. In 1971, Reno decided to work with the Florida House of Representatives as a staff director. After a brief return to the private sector, she was appointed as Florida's State Attorney in Miami, becoming the first woman to ever hold that position. Reno stayed in the job for about 15 years until Clinton tapped her to become the 78th US attorney general.

She wound up in the fire right from the start. The siege of the Branch Davidian compound in Waco TX was underway. The standoff ended when the complex caught fire and burned to the ground. The government claimed the Davidians committed suicide, shooting themselves and setting the fire. Survivors said the blaze was started by tear gas rounds fired into the compound by government tanks and that agents shot at some who tried to flee. Reno authorized the use of the tear gas to end the standoff and later called the day the worst of her life.

"It was a dangerous situation," Reno said of the incident during a 2005 lecture at Duke University. "The tragedy is that we will never know what was the right thing to do."

She stayed in the limelight, but not from things she could control. As part of the Clinton administration, Reno oversaw the high-profile convictions of numerous bombers including Ted Kaczynski, the domestic terrorist infamously known as the "Unabomber;" Sheik Omar Abdel-Rahman for the 1993 World Trade Center bombing; and Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols for their roles in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.

As her time in the Clinton administration wound down, she found herself under fire again. In April 2000, Reno played a pivotal role in the saga of six-year-old Cuban immigrant Elian Gonzalez. Gonzalez, found off the coast of Fort Lauderdale in November 1999, was the only survivor among a group of 13 Cuban migrants trying to make it to the US. The incident sparked an international custody dispute between Gonzalez's relatives in the US and his father in Cuba. Reno ultimately ordered a raid that sent Gonzalez back to Cuba.

I don't think there was any good way to solve that situation. But Reno never shied from responsibility or tried to pass the buck.

As attorney general, Reno often was teased by late night talk show hosts for her unassuming appearance and no-nonsense attitude. Comedian Will Ferrell memorialized her in a recurring "Saturday Night Live" skit called "Janet Reno's Dance Party," and Reno visited the skit the night she left the Justice Department in January 2001.

Her death was due to complications from Parkinson's Disease, which she came down with in 1995.

"Even if you agreed or disagreed with her, you knew she was coming from a place of integrity. Through her work, through her decisions, she exhibited a lot of strength and a lot of courage. And that is also inspiring." - Miami U.S. Attorney Wifredo Ferrer, who worked for Reno in Washington from 1995 to 2000.

"As Attorney General for all eight years of my Presidency, Janet worked tirelessly to make our communities safer, protect the vulnerable, and to strike the right balance between seeking justice and avoiding abuse of power." - Bill Clinton

"Speak out against the hatred, the bigotry and the violence in this land. Most haters are cowards. When confronted, they back down. When we remain silent, they flourish." Janet Reno, after the Oklahoma City bombing.

rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1502 on: November 11, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
ROBERT VAUGHN (1932 - 2016)

Robert Francis Vaughn was born in New York City to parents in show business, his father a radio actor and his mother an actress on the stage.

He went to high school in Minneapolis and attended the University of Minnesota, where he majored in journalism, but quit after a year. Moving to Los Angeles, he studied drama at Los Angeles City College, then transferred to Cal State L.A. and completed his Master’s degree. Subsequently — and while having already started a busy acting career in the 1960s and into the 1970s —  he completed a Ph.D. in communications at USC.

He made his small-screen debut appearing on NBC’s Richard Boone vehicle "Medic" in 1955. Other TV roles quickly followed. Meanwhile, he made his big-screen debut in an uncredited role in Cecil B. DeMille’s 1956 epic "The Ten Commandments". He earned an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his work in 1959's "The Young Philadelphians". The next year, he was one of the Magnificent Seven.

His suave, urbane demeanor didn't work well with westerns, but it worked on TV. While working on the TV show "The Lieutenant" during the 63-64 season, he was offered the starring role in a show tentatively titled "Solo". He accepted, and the show became "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."

That sealed his fame.

"The great Robert Vaughn was the coolest guy on TV when I was a kid. Superb in Bullitt, The Magnificent Seven & many more." - Edgar Wright

"Such a fine actor, one of the best Columbo villains (no higher praise than that) & an utterly charming man..." - Stephen Fry
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.

Robin_K2

• A Cup
« Reply #1503 on: November 14, 2016, 02:33:30 PM »
Longtime PBS "Washington Week" and "PBS News Hour" host Gwen Ifill has passed.

I can scarcely believe it.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1504 on: November 23, 2016, 11:01:15 PM »
RALPH BRANCA (1926-2016):

Born in Mount Vernon NY, he attended NYU and played both basketball and baseball for them. A tryout with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1943 got him a contract; he debuted in June the next year.

His best year was 1947. He won 21 games for the Dodgers, made the All-Star team, and started the World Series opener. Two more All-Star appearances would follow.

But the one thing he would be remembered for happened on October 3, 1951. A fastball to the Giant's Bobby Thomson caught too much of the plate and wound up on the far side of the left field wall at the Polo Grounds, and the Giants won the pennant.

There would be a famous picture taken a few minutes after he entered the clubhouse after surrendering the home run to Thomson four years later, him lying on a staircase on his stomach, his arms over his eyes, a Brooklyn coach named Cookie Lavagetto sitting next to him, clearly helpless in trying to make him feel better.

“Even then, I wasn’t sad for me,” Branca told me a few years ago. “I was an athlete my whole life, and that’s part of the deal: Someone has to lose, and sometimes that’s you. What bothered me was looking at Jackie, at Pee Wee, at Gil, at Newk and Duke and Campy. Knowing I’d let them down. If you ever competed on a team, you know what that feeling is like.”

Branca pitched a few more years after that, and would wind up on the baseball "old timers'" circuit with Thomson. They became friends, and Branca was never bitter or angry over his place in baseball history. Thomson always marveled at his partner’s dignity. “For me,” he said, “it’s understandable, because that moment was the best thing that ever happened to me. It may have been the best thing that ever happened to anybody. It was Ralph that allowed people to enjoy it, though. His grace. His good humor.”

At one point I said to Ralph Branca that after all these years, he had to be sick of the whole subject.

“I take it as it comes,” Branca said that day, a quiet man whose voice was even quieter than usual in that moment. “If I feel like getting into it, I do. If I don’t, I don’t. You find out a lot about people by who brings it up and who doesn’t.”

Then I asked what he remembered best, from the time the ball went over Andy Pafko’s head in left, over the wall and into history.

“I remember the parking lot,” Ralph Branca said. “I remember going out to the parking lot. Ann was in the car with a friend of ours, Father Pat Rowley from Fordham. And I said to Father Rowley, ‘Why me? Why did this have to happen to me?’ And Father Rowley said, ‘God gave you this cross to bear because you’re strong enough to bear it.’”

Quotes from "Ralph Branca, who died Wednesday at 90, should be remembered for a life of dignity and not one pitch from 1951" - Mike Lupica, NY Daily News
rtpoe

Robin_K2

• A Cup
« Reply #1505 on: November 26, 2016, 06:10:19 AM »
Exit Fidel Castro.

Cutter

• X Cup
« Reply #1506 on: November 26, 2016, 06:18:59 AM »
I thought the passing of Florence Henderson at 82 would have beaten the news of Castro going out.

http://centurylink.net/player/article/newsy_now-florence_henderson_the_brady_bunch_mom_has_died-newsy
Cutter

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK!

My DVD   http://mightyo.site.aplus.net/ussclamagoretourdvd.com/

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #1507 on: November 26, 2016, 07:28:56 AM »
Fidel is dead but the dictatorship continues to live with his younger brother Raul in charge. Raul was born in 1931 so he ain't no spring chicken. When he does die, who will replace the Castro family crime syndicate ? The Castro's eliminated / exiled almost all viable opposition to their rule and Cuba no longer has a patron to subsidize it ( Soviet Union before, Venezuela lately ) so it will be interesting to see what happens in the next 5 - 10 years.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1508 on: December 08, 2016, 09:53:42 PM »
JOHN GLENN (1921 - 2016)

"He won his Senate seat in 1974, carrying all 88 counties of Ohio. He was re-elected in 1980 with the largest margin in Ohio history.

Ohio returned him to the Senate for a third term in 1986, again with a substantial majority. In 1992 he was elected again, becoming the first popularly elected senator from his state to win four consecutive terms.

During his last term he was the ranking member of both the Governmental Affairs Committee and the Subcommittee on Air/Land Forces in the Senate Armed Services Committee. He also served on the Select Committee on Intelligence and the Special Committee on Aging.

He was considered one of the Senate's leading experts on technical and scientific matters, and won wide respect for his work to prevent the spread of weapons of mass destruction. He took pride in using his position on the Governmental Affairs Committee to root out waste in government and to clean up the nation's nuclear materials production plants."

http://www.nasa.gov/content/profile-of-john-glenn

"Mister Glenn" by Little Willie John

rtpoe

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #1509 on: December 13, 2016, 11:11:36 PM »
Actor Alan Thicke died at age 69.

luvdemwhoppers

• T Cup
  • Don Pauleboy
« Reply #1510 on: December 18, 2016, 06:20:01 PM »
zaa zaa Gabor, 99
the green acres are forever green
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:21:50 PM by DonP »
I'm walkin' here

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1511 on: December 19, 2016, 07:17:50 PM »
(ummm.... that was her sister Eva who was in Green Acres)

Zsa Zsa was born Sari Gabor in Budapest, Hungary in 1917, the middle of three sisters. Her family fled to the US to avoid WWII. Her good looks got her a few movie and then TV roles.

I think that she realized soon enough that her talent wasn't enough to get her anywhere, so she decided to capitalize on her "Old World" elegance and charm. A sense of humor about it all helped.

Here she is in 1994 with David Letterman spending an afternoon at some of Los Angeles' finest dining establishments:

When Dave took the show to London the next year, his friend Zsa Zsa was there to do the same thing:

Zsa Zsa in 1961:
rtpoe

Cutter

• X Cup
« Reply #1512 on: December 27, 2016, 04:27:27 PM »
2016 just keeps sucking till the last minute.

Carrie Fisher, passed today after suffering a massive heart attack on Dec 23rd.
Cutter

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK!

My DVD   http://mightyo.site.aplus.net/ussclamagoretourdvd.com/

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #1513 on: December 27, 2016, 05:55:44 PM »
      Remember the white dress I wore all through that film? George came up to me the first day of filming, took one look at the dress and said: "You can't wear a bra under that dress."
      "Okay, I'll bite," I said. "Why?" And he said: "Because… there's no underwear in space."
      He said it with such conviction. Like he had been to space and looked around and he didn't see any bras or panties anywhere.
      He explained. "You go into space and you become weightless. Then your body expands but your bra doesn't, so you get strangled by your own underwear."
      I think that this would make for a fantastic obituary. I tell my younger friends that no matter how I go, I want it reported that I drowned in moonlight, strangled by my own bra.

~ Carrie Fisher, 08/21/1956 - 12/27/2016
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:59:02 PM by gonZo »

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1514 on: December 27, 2016, 09:12:21 PM »
She was in other movies, you know......
rtpoe