solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #1575 on: May 04, 2017, 07:35:17 AM »
Cynthia died in 2011, so this news is six years old.

Well, better late than never, right ?  ::) ;) ;D

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1576 on: May 13, 2017, 09:04:37 PM »
STAN WESTON (1933-2017)

Stanley Alan Weston was born in Brooklyn on April 1, 1933. His father worked in the garment industry, and his mother was a homemaker and jazz pianist. He received an undergraduate degree and an MBA from New York University. After Army service, he worked for the advertising firm McCann Erickson before starting a licensing company, Weston Merchandising.

Bankrolled by his brother, Stan made it big by landing a deal with MGM Studios and then Universal, handling licensing for all their classic movie monsters. On trips to Hollywood, he became friends with Elliot and Ruth Handler, the founders of Mattel Toys.

On a visit to a publisher of reference works in Chicago, he casually mentioned to a PR person that while he'd loved their collections (including the Encyclopedia Britannica and Great Books of the Western World), he'd never had the chance to read them all as a **09** because his family couldn't afford them. After making the licensing deal, a truck pulled up at his home three weeks later with a copy of every book they published.

He knew from his contacts in the toy industry that people were always looking for new ideas, so he spent time reading the Encyclopedia Britannica all the way through. He became enthralled with the military - the uniforms, the insignia, the history, the equipment....

At the 1963 Toy Fair, Stan ran into Don Levine, V.P. of Product Development for a toy company called Hassenfeld Bros. Don asked him to give him a call if he had any new ideas. A week later, Don stopped by Stan's office in Staten Island, NY. Before the meeting, Stan made two trips - to an Army-Navy store to grab assorted military paraphernalia, and then to the U.N. to get miniature flags from as many nations as he could.

At the meeting, Stan pitched the idea of military figures and their vehicles and equipment. And he emphasized that the figures should be moveable, so they could be adjusted to get in and out of the vehicles. Don loved the idea, and at a later meeting he showed mock-ups of boxes picturing a soldier, sailor, marine and pilot. He unveiled them and said to Stan, "You will make a fortune with these."

Three days before the 1964 Toy Fair, Merrill Hassenfeld, the president of the company, called Stan "Weston, half of the people say boys won’t play with dolls, and half think it is the greatest idea since white bread. We’ll guarantee you $75,000 win, lose or draw for the idea." Stan said, "Make it $100,000, and let me think about it." Stan asked him if he could see what they developed from his idea. The boss said he would have that opportunity in about a week at the toy fair. After some deliberation he called Hassenfeld and took the deal.

Three days later, in their showroom at the Toy Fair, Stan saw "The World of G.I. Joe," a full line of action figures and accessories. The toy company sold $7 million worth the first year and $28 million the second.

In 2004, G.I. Joe was inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame at the Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester, NY.

"For some critics, Joe's message of 'might makes right' is the wrong one to share with children," its citation reads. "Other adults counter that Joe encourages kids' stories of good triumphing over evil and fosters creativity, imagination, and self-esteem. But while grown-ups argue over Joe's merits and flaws, kids play on, and hundreds of other 'action figures' people the toy landscape."

rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #1577 on: May 13, 2017, 10:56:32 PM »
Boy, I had a G.I. Joe way back in the 60's. It was bought by one of my father's friend who had traveled to the US ( I was living in Mexico then )  and I had seen an advertisement for one of them from a DC Superman comic ( in English ! )book that he had brought earlier from another trip. I had a blast with it as he not only brought one but four of them with all the accruements  that would make the Department of Defense proud. I have no idea how much my Father paid him at the time. This was the original 12" tall action figure with a scar on his cheek and olive green WW2 uniform. Of course, in a family with three boys and one girl, my sister's Barbie didn't do too well.  ;D Somebody has to be the civilian that gets killed.  ;D Of course, time and rough treatment eventually destroyed them and my mother threw them away eventually ( why do moms always throw away your stuff ?  ??? ). I can't imagine how rich I would be if I'd kept them in good collectible shape along with all the trappings they came with ( M1911 .45 cal pistol, M2 .50 cal heavy machine gun, M1 30-06 Garand rifle, canteens, grenades, etc, etc ). Who knew they would become SO valuable ? Oh well, that's life.  :(

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1578 on: May 13, 2017, 11:13:36 PM »
Man, I still marvel at how they were able to get that scar on his face. I always figured he'd done something really bad.

I've never watched a single episode of the G.I. Joe cartoon, but I hear that it was pretty good too.

And in my case, it was our dad who threw out our old G.I. Joes, not our mom. I guess he still had beef with one of the guys who had tried (and failed) to vie for mom's hand in marriage since he was an up-and-comer in the Army.

I can only hope that Mr. Weston got a good deal on the royalties.
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1579 on: May 14, 2017, 11:05:21 PM »
Powers Boothe, who won an Emmy for his eerily-accurate portrayal of the madman Jim Jones in 1980, has died. He was less than a month away from his 69th birthday.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1580 on: May 18, 2017, 06:55:23 PM »
"Don't speak ill of the dead," my grandmother would tell me. But even she would make an exception for Roger Ailes.

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #1581 on: May 22, 2017, 01:43:50 PM »
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:51:28 PM by Hiram »
Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, good buzzing, cool talking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing... #BOOBs

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #1582 on: May 23, 2017, 09:29:06 AM »
Roger Moore, Sean Connery's replacement for James Bond and the one that portrayed Agent 007 the most, has passed away at 89 years of age.  :'(

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1583 on: May 23, 2017, 08:22:03 PM »
Moore also played Simon "The Saint" Templar for many years on the small screen.

This clip speaks for itself:

By the way, the other guy is David Hedison, who would play Felix Leiter in Live and Let Die........
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1584 on: May 23, 2017, 10:15:16 PM »
Now isn't that something! Almost as prescient as the scene in 1967's Guess Who's Coming to Dinner where Sidney Poitier's character pretty much predicted Pres. Barack Obama :)

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #1585 on: May 27, 2017, 05:14:34 PM »
Zbigniew Kazimierz Brzezinski
March 28, 1928 – May 26, 2017
Polish-American diplomat and political scientist. He served as a counselor to President Lyndon B. Johnson from 1966 to 1968 and was President Jimmy Carter's National Security Advisor from 1977 to 1981.

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #1586 on: May 27, 2017, 05:16:32 PM »
Gregory LeNoir "Gregg" Allman
December 8, 1947 – May 27, 2017
American musician, singer and songwriter best known for performing in the Allman Brothers Band.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1587 on: May 27, 2017, 10:40:33 PM »
JIM BUNNING (1931-2017)

Born in Southgate KY, he was signed by the Detroit Tigers in 1950 as an amateur free agent. He made his Major League debut for them in 1955. On July 20, 1958, he pitched a no-hitter against the Boston Red Sox. Traded to the Phillies after the 1963 season, he threw a perfect game against the Mets in 1964. At the end of his career, he racked up nine All-Star appearances, a W-L record of 224–184, and 2,855 strikeouts (second place on the All-Time list when he retired). The Veterans Committee selected him for the Hall of Fame in 1996.

After retiring, he started another career. He served two years on the city council of Fort Thomas, Kentucky before running for and winning a seat in the Kentucky Senate as a Republican. He was elected minority leader by his Republican colleagues, a rare feat for a freshman legislator.

In 1986, he won a seat in the House of Representatives. In 1998, one of Kentucky's Senate seats opened up. Bunning ran for it and won, with a margin of just over half a percentage point. He ran for reelection in 2004, and narrowly won. Both his terms were unremarkable at best. In April 2006, Time magazine called him one of America's Five Worst Senators. The magazine dubbed him 'The Underperformer' for his "lackluster performance", saying he "shows little interest in policy unless it involves baseball", and criticized his hostility towards staff and fellow Senators.

Citing lack of support from his fellow Republicans, he decided not to run in 2010.

rtpoe

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1588 on: May 27, 2017, 10:44:31 PM »
Zbigniew Kazimierz Brzezinski
March 28, 1928 – May 26, 2017
Polish-American diplomat and political scientist. He served as a counselor to President Lyndon B. Johnson from 1966 to 1968 and was President Jimmy Carter's National Security Advisor from 1977 to 1981.

"He played an essential role in all the key foreign policy events of my administration, including normalization of relations with China, signing of the SALT II treaty, brokering the Camp David Accords, and the Panama Canal treaties, among others. He was brilliant, dedicated, and loyal, and remained a close advisor to my work at The Carter Center. I will miss him." - Jimmy Carter

"You always knew where Zbig stood, and his ideas and advocacy helped shape decades of American national security policy. " - Barack Obama

"Zbig — as he was known, and as he chose for his Twitter handle — made the world safer and better, and also livelier and more interesting. I might not have said that 40 years ago, which is why I go out of my way to offer respects and admiration, and sympathies to his family, now." - James Fallows, The Atlantic 5/26/17

He continued to write, speak, and advise up unto the very end.

"This is a highly motivated, good country. It is driven by good motives. But it is also a country with an extremely simplistic understanding of world affairs, and with still a high confidence in America’s capacity to prevail, by force if necessary. (...) This is a country of good emotions, but poor knowledge and little sophistication about the world." - Interview in The National Interest, 6/24/13

"Sophisticated US leadership is the sine qua non of a stable world order. However, we lack the former while the latter is getting worse." - Zbig's last Tweet, 5/4/17

rtpoe

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #1589 on: May 28, 2017, 07:49:52 AM »
Gregg Allman of the The Allman Brothers band died. He was 69.  :'(