Over at the New Yorker, John Cassidy posts an interesting question.
What if the Boston Bombers used guns instead?
Being the "liberal elitist moron" that he is (according to the commenters on his essay), he wonders what effect it would have had on gun control.
I'm not going there. Instead, I'm just going to ponder the matter and ask follow up questions.
First, let's work off the assumption that the casualty figures would be exactly the same. Even though I suspect that with guns, there would be more deaths and fewer injuries.
Right off the bat, I note that given
the FBI's current definition, the "shooting" might not count as 'mass murder'.
Anyway... If they used guns...
Would the press be harassing relatives who had no contact with them in years?
Would people be making such a fuss over their plans to go to Times Square next?
Would we be talking about greater security cooperation with Russia?
Would Boston have been put under lockdown?
Just idly wondering.