*

rtpoe

  • Old Fart
  • 12423
David Letterman Retires
« on: May 18, 2015, 06:55:59 PM »
Needless to say, all the special guests and tributes are coming out as David Letterman counts down to his last show behind the desk of The Late Show.

Anyone have any particular memories they'd like to share?

I stopped watching it a couple of years ago, when I changed jobs and couldn't stay up that late. But I did watch it religiously before then, so I got to see:

Senator Bob Dole informally announce that he'd run for President in 1996:

 "I have not, but I will (make a public announcement). I am going to run for president. I thought about it a lot. Every country ought to have a president, and we ought to give it a shot." - Feb 1995

Dole returned to the show for his first public appearance after losing the election.

When he got Sonny Bono and Cher to sing "I Got You, Babe":


The day after Dave complained about a huge pothole in the street outside the studio (and showed it on air, and stuffed the used cue cards into it), NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani showed up in person to shovel asphalt into it...


rtpoe

Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow...

Van Morrison, Moondance

*

Martin Solo

  • B Cup
  • 847
    • Flying Rabbits Video
Re: David Letterman Retires
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 02:07:13 PM »
Proof that God is a boobman. :D

https://www.youtube.com/v/ToQQorOYDy4


*

pedonbio

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 22949
Re: David Letterman Retires
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 03:11:15 PM »
Proof that God is a boobman. :D

https://www.youtube.com/v/ToQQorOYDy4



Great one, Martin!

I've only watched him on and off, but I think NBC made a mistake with Carson's replacement.   ;)
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

*

Martin Solo

  • B Cup
  • 847
    • Flying Rabbits Video
Re: David Letterman Retires
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 04:20:29 PM »
His talkshow was aired in my country quite some years ago with 1 day delay but not for long.
I'm not a great fan of talkshows in general but I think he was one of the better hosts.


*

Martin Solo

  • B Cup
  • 847
    • Flying Rabbits Video
Re: David Letterman Retires
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »
David's side-kick Paul gets to ask Julia Roberts a question. :D

https://www.youtube.com/v/2vUekj49lwk


*

Martin Solo

  • B Cup
  • 847
    • Flying Rabbits Video
Re: David Letterman Retires
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 05:57:52 PM »
Drew Barrymore gives Dave a special birthday present. :D

https://www.youtube.com/v/1UUqwrpw3uA


*

rtpoe

  • Old Fart
  • 12423
Re: David Letterman Retires
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 10:28:50 PM »
Larry "Bud" Melman (Calvert DeForest) introducing the very first "Late Night with David Letterman":

“Good evening. Certain NBC executives feel it would be a little unkind to present this show without a word of friendly warning. We are about to unfold a show featuring David Letterman, a man of science who sought to create a show after his own image without reckoning upon God. It’s one of the strangest tales ever told. I think it will thrill you. It may shock you. It might even horrify you. So if any of you feel that you don’t care to subject your nerves to such a strain, now is your chance to . . . Well, we warned you.”

An example of the silly, surreal comedy - Chinese Food College Bowl. Patrons from Hunan Wok University and Szechuan State face off in a quiz about Chinese food....



Quote
He has done all he can in the face of so much stupidity, often by pretending to the stupidest one of all. There came a point — and Letterman saw it, you have to believe that he saw it — where his style, his aw-shucks approach was no longer effective against so much noise and trash.

The night before this episode, May 12, Shaffer had mentioned to Letterman that he shared an elevator earlier that day with a young assistant to that night’s guest, Bill Clinton — one of the many people who were part of Clinton’s entourage. The woman turned to Shaffer and asked, "Do you work here?"

"We have to leave — now," Letterman replied. The audience roared.

He’s right.

David Letterman taught us to ward off **29** stupidity. But stupidity won. - Hank Stuever, Washington Post, 5/17/15
rtpoe

Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow...

Van Morrison, Moondance

*

TheZookie007

  • L Cup
  • 53945
Re: David Letterman Retires
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 02:46:48 PM »
I think his first show post-9/11 ranks as one of the greatest moments in late-night television history.
AOC, HC, TW, BO, KH: FU. FUATH. 100x.

*

rtpoe

  • Old Fart
  • 12423
Re: David Letterman Retires
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 09:55:26 PM »
I think his first show post-9/11 ranks as one of the greatest moments in late-night television history.



It was great seeing Dave's last show. It was funny - much of it was Dave poking fun at himself. He thanked - at length - all the writers and staff, saying that they were the real reason for the success of the show. And we got to see all of them. The closing credits featured photos along with the names.

Over at Cracked.com, they've got a video essay where they maintain that Dave pretty much invented YouTube - or at least it's content. Top 10 Lists. Stupid Pet/Human Tricks. Pranking people (Dave manning the drive-thru at a Taco Bell...) . Destroying stuff in silly ways for the fun of it. Ordinary people became **28** (like Rupert Jee of the "Hello Deli"). And when gags failed, they still got put on the air.

There's one quote that I think pretty much sums it up. Many years ago, Dave and his partner in entertainment Paul Shaffer raced "rocket chairs" (a wheeled office chair, with a fire extinguisher for propulsion) down the halls outside the studio. Sportscaster Bob Costas was on hand to call the action:

Costas: "Dave, did you have any problem with the G-forces out there?"
Letterman: "Bob let me just say, generally, this is the stupidest thing I've ever witnessed network money spent on. And frankly, I'm proud to be a part of it.'"
rtpoe

Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow...

Van Morrison, Moondance

*

tdotter

  • 16284
    • Moistpubes2-the return of the goo!
Re: David Letterman Retires
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 12:37:38 AM »
I would bet that if you asked Dave if he could have chosen his replacement then he would have chosen Norm Macdonald.I thought Dave was going to give him a French kiss after the way he was gushing over him when Norm appeared on the show last week.I'm guessing the fact that Norm is 51 worked against him.Maybe he did not even want to be a late night host but I think Dave would have chosen him.

*

TheZookie007

  • L Cup
  • 53945
Re: David Letterman Retires
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 02:46:32 AM »
Jimmy Kimmel and Conan O'Brien both did a very classy thing. Not only did they each give very very heartfelt tributes to Dave, they each told their audiences to not bother watching their programs that night and instead watch Dave's last show.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:49:50 AM by TheZookie007 »
AOC, HC, TW, BO, KH: FU. FUATH. 100x.

*

prinz

  • Z Cup
  • 3164
Re: David Letterman Retires
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 08:51:44 AM »
A class act.. Farewell Dave, you will be greatly missed !

*

Live4Tits

  • A Cup
  • 388
  • Censored
Re: David Letterman Retires
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 05:10:48 PM »
George Bush Top 10 Moments

https://youtu.be/9w73dVVPRk0
Fight for free speech.
Without warning or temporary suspension,
YOU WILL BE SHUT DOWN.