*

Eyeguy

  • E Cup
  • 1032
Scam FAIL!
« on: October 06, 2015, 12:20:46 AM »
I was browsing the I-net recently when my malware popped up a 'blocked page' notice.  No surprise there- we hang out in strange neighborhoods, we find some bad stuff.   Almost immediately after, a full-page banner popped up.   Red headlines, blue-on-pale grey text.   It claimed to be from the FBI...  "we know you've downloaded illegal pornography, we know you have ch1ld pron on your hard drive" etc,etc.   I actually felt a moment of panic when I read that they were going to 'lock down' my computer and other horrible things.   
   But then they offered me an out- if I bought $500 worth of prepaid debit cards and mailed them to so-and-so address, they would consider my fine paid and...  You know the rest.
    By this point, I knew it was BS (of course).  My only real problem was getting the banner off my screen.
People should not fear their government, a Government should fear its people.

TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

I am a confirmed vag-itarian.

*

T_Man

  • F Cup
  • 3353
Re: Scam FAIL!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 09:16:44 AM »
Those scams can be pretty serious when they seize your browser and you can't close it or it changes your homepage. I've found Malwarebytes to be very effective at getting rid of things like this.
"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

*

Eyeguy

  • E Cup
  • 1032
Re: Scam FAIL!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 10:33:31 AM »
yep.   Malwarebytes is what I use.   
People should not fear their government, a Government should fear its people.

TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

I am a confirmed vag-itarian.

*

MunchWolf

  • What Tagline?
  • 11463
Re: Scam FAIL!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:01:44 PM »
task manager or reboot .. you can always close :D

-Munch "damn popups" Wolf