Our Gold Medalists of the Day:
Apisai Domolailai, Jasa Veremalua, Kitione Taliga, Osea Kolinisau, Savenaca Rawaca, Semi Kunatani, Leone Nakarawa, Jerry Tuwai, Samisoni Viriviri, Josua Tuisova, Viliame Mata, Vatemo Ravouvou, and Ro Dakuwaqa. *
Fiji's Rugby Sevens team.
Some highlights of the final match are here:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/fiji-wins-olympic-rugby-sevens-gold-medalIt's Fiji's first medal ever in their 14th Summer Games.
It should not have been a surprise, since rugby sevens is the national sport. And Fiji is ranked #1 in the world.
How big a deal is it there? When it came time to announce the players who made the Olympic team, it wasn't a press release. It wasn't the coach of the team. It wasn't the head of the Fiji Olympic Committee. It was the
PRIME MINISTER.
"I can have an hour-long drive to work and I can see 50 villages playing rugby. It's a passion," said Coach Ben Ryan.
"Rugby is like a religion in Fiji, and we're already a very religious country," deputy editor-in-chief of the Fiji Times, Elenoa Baselaia, told CNN. "It's normal that we go to church on Sundays, it's also normal that everywhere you turn, there is people playing rugby every afternoon. Whether it's with paper scrunched together to make a ball, it's with bottles or a real rugby ball, somebody in the neighborhoods is playing rugby."
*
No, I don't know who's who in the attached photo - or why there are only twelve players there when the official Olympic roster - where I got their names - has thirteen.....