Re: BUG REPORT THREAD for 12/29/2015 FORUM SOFTWARE UPGRADE
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2016, 01:51:03 AM »
Now I understand. Thanks for the additional explanation. Yes, the subforum name should be displayed and navigable in thread view. That's probably a bug. (I say "probably" because the programmer necessarily downscaled the features when porting the desktop version to the mobile platform, and I don't know what items were removed intentionally vs what items are misconfigured.)

Yes I believe there are trade offs for space between desktop and mobile version. I'm just asking myself if it wouldn't be better to reduce the size for mobile avatars to let's say half height/half width or even reduce more to 1/3 of the surface area. Make the space smaller between avatar and post and between end of post and break line to next post and the space between the break line and the avatar, too. This gives back enough space to have the full path displayed again.

I agree with your suggestions, but they probably go beyond what the admin/tech can fix by adjusting configuration files. I'll point them out to the tech, but I don't know whether he'll be able to fix them, or whether the owner will authorize the cost of doing that.

Quote from: andrat2000
Don't know if it was mentioned before ...
A) On mobile device (my example android phone and a chrome clone browser) in the thread list I see no columns, while on Desktop Browser I do:
- Replies / Views
- Last post

Please try this. After logging into the forum on your phone, find a subforum that contains unread messages, and click this icon next to it:

On my iPhone, this displays a list of threads with unread posts, with the Replies/Views and Last Post columns visible. I just want to make sure your browser can display it. –gonZo
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:12:01 PM by gonZo »
Anti-social behaviours lack consideration for the well-being of others. Any types of conduct that violates basic rights (human rights is one of them) of another person. It can show as covert or overt hostility.

Robin_K2

• A Cup
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2016, 03:08:44 PM »
This is not a complaint This is just FYI for the mods:

I now access the Forum on Firefox. Until the change-over, I used Windows XP, god help me. That's still the easiest platform for me to download images, but I am unable to "quote" a post on Windows XP.

(But I am surely the last person here with XP.)

Glad to see our posting numbers back. I miss having our relative cup sizes included.

I almost have made this a stand alone post: Since the redesign, I don't come here as often. I may easily be mistaken, but it looks to me that site visits are down, forum-wide. (Still waiting for some old-timers to come back.)

The feature I miss most is the ability to see ALL new posts since my last visit, and the ability to mark them "all read," clearing my forum cache. That way, I could see all new posts, every visit.

Anyway, Pal and Gonzo: Is site traffic down? The same? Even better?

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2016, 05:07:51 PM »
This is not a complaint This is just FYI for the mods:

I now access the Forum on Firefox. Until the change-over, I used Windows XP, god help me. That's still the easiest platform for me to download images, but I am unable to "quote" a post on Windows XP.

(But I am surely the last person here with XP.)

Glad to see our posting numbers back. I miss having our relative cup sizes included.

I'm not sure we'll be able to get cup sizes back. They were based on a particular way of organizing member-groups in the forum software, and for technical reasons, we're no longer organized that way. And since there are 103,470 members in the database, a do-over would be a tall order.

I almost have made this a stand alone post: Since the redesign, I don't come here as often. I may easily be mistaken, but it looks to me that site visits are down, forum-wide. (Still waiting for some old-timers to come back.)

Most of the users who reported having trouble getting back in seem to have been reactivated. Yes, we're missing a few people (I can think of 3 offhand). I think there's a certain point where this stops being about technical hurdles and starts being about people's temperaments. If somebody has a legacy here (based on postcount, reputation, or whatever), and getting his/her account reactivated seems overly arduous, he/she might not react well to that. On the other hand, it would tend to motivate other people. (Ugh. Write this paragraph off as a verbose shrug.)

The feature I miss most is the ability to see ALL new posts since my last visit, and the ability to mark them "all read," clearing my forum cache. That way, I could see all new posts, every visit.

To globally see all new posts in the whole forum, choose this (and the displayed page will also include a "Mark All Messages Read" button):

To see them by board category, click here:

To see them board-by-board, click the icon next to a board on the Main Index page:

...And you can mark all messages read board-by-board by clicking here on each board index page:

Anyway, Pal and Gonzo: Is site traffic down? The same? Even better?

Initially, attendance was better than before, but now it has tapered off to about the old normal. In terms of new posts, it was initially slow, but has climbed back to something close to what it was before.
_
g
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:14:41 PM by gonZo »

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2016, 10:45:14 AM »
GonZo, in one of your screen captures, you show a forum area entitled "Original (offline) Plume". That is an area that I've never seen, either prior to the software update or after it. Is it something that only appears because you are a moderator?

Right. It's an old version of the Plume that contained discussions that are prohibited by the forum rules. Threads that were deemed rule-abiding were moved from there into the version of the Plume that is now online.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:32:33 PM by gonZo »
JH

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2016, 12:42:52 PM »
GonZo, in one of your screen captures, you show a forum area entitled "Original (offline) Plume". That is an area that I've never seen, either prior to the software update or after it. Is it something that only appears because you are a moderator?

I believe that was something only available to moderators during a period of forum cleanup.
Adama, Addventure mega-geek

Robin_K2

• A Cup
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2016, 04:58:03 PM »
^ Responding to Gonzo, above:

I have tried the "unread posts" tab many times. Right now it returns a total of three posts, from several forums.  That surely is a glitch.

salem

Cannot see how many views a thread has ONCE you open the thread.
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2016, 05:19:41 PM »
This may be a small issue, but in the old thread once you opened up a thread the number of views was listed. Now when you open a thread it no longer tells you the number of views. I preferred the old way, any way we can get this back?

gonZo

« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2016, 05:31:34 PM »
^ Responding to Gonzo, above:

I have tried the "unread posts" tab many times. Right now it returns a total of three posts, from several forums.  That surely is a glitch.

Not necessary. If those several forums are all in the same category-cluster of forums, and those three posts are the only new posts in that cluster, then it's working correctly. (I'm not trying to argue with you, and you could very well be correct about a glitch, but your description of the situation doesn't establish that anything's working improperly.)

Have you tried using "New Posts" from the dropdown menu under your avatar at the top right?

LATER: Just did some checking, and you're right: the Unread Posts buttons' results are WAY off. Will report.
_
g
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:48:57 PM by gonZo »

gonZo

Re: Cannot see how many views a thread has ONCE you open the thread.
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2016, 08:49:19 PM »
Views per thread are still listed on the index page of the board containing the thread. Views per attachment are still listed under each attachment.

(Unless you're on the mobile version of the forum, in which case views per thread is only displayed under certain conditions.)

Are you saying that the number of views per message used to be listed when you opened up a thread?

(And right after you reply, I'm going to merge this with the Bug Reports thread.)

salem

Re: Cannot see how many views a thread has ONCE you open the thread.
« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2016, 03:48:37 PM »

Are you saying that the number of views per message used to be listed when you opened up a thread?

Yes, that's right. I remember that because I have a database of models on my laptop and they are listed under view amounts and not alphabetically. I updated it periodically by clicking on a link in the spreadsheet. However now, once you open a thread, the number of views is not shown.

gonZo

« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2016, 05:58:16 PM »
(in reply to Salem)
Hmmm...

ftl03

• A Cup
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2016, 04:05:00 AM »
I have already posted this in the "site looks awful" thread, but I suspect it got overlooked.
Not a bug, just ergonomics.
I log in and go straight to my user drop-down top right to get the latest posts (or replies). If you are logged out, it would be great if there was a "login" link up there to click on.

TIA and keep up the good work

I responded to your post in the other thread 12 days ago. There are some serious bugs in the forum that still haven't been fixed, so rearranging interface elements onscreen is not currently a top priority. Your request is a good one, though, and we hope to be able to do some fine tuning of the interface at a later date. –gonZo
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:22:58 PM by gonZo »

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2016, 10:30:27 AM »
Not a bug per se, but an ergonomics/usability issue... the previous/next buttons at the top and bottom right-hand corners of every thread page are too close to the print button in the black button bar. I've hit print by mistake at least half a dozen times so far (ironic, since I haven't had a printer connected to my PC full-time in over a decade ;)). Personally, I think that the previous/next buttons should be on the LEFT corners of the page, next to the page number indicator/selector, preferable NEXT to the page numbers rather than above or below them (to save vertical space).

Yes, I know having previous/next near the page #s could make people think that previous/next refer to pages (within a thread) rather than threads (within a forum) which is what they're for (moving to the next or prior thread). This is easily remedied by adding the word "thread" ...i.e.: previous thread/next thread or something like that.

As I wrote to ftl03 immediately before this post, this kinda falls into the second tier of adjustments that I hope the admins will have time to make. But right now, there are problems in registration, the databases, and other things that need to be fixed first.

I added this to the tech's list this morning, and it looks like it could fit under page numbers without increasing the height of the overall page, so that's a more workable solution. Also increased font size to 17 point as RTPoe requested. See attachment. –g
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:45:54 AM by gonZo »

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2016, 10:03:23 PM »
Not a bug per se, but an ergonomics/usability issue... the previous/next buttons at the top and bottom right-hand corners of every thread page are too close to the print button in the black button bar. I've hit print by mistake at least half a dozen times so far (ironic, since I haven't had a printer connected to my PC full-time in over a decade ;)). Personally, I think that the previous/next buttons should be on the LEFT corners of the page, next to the page number indicator/selector, preferable NEXT to the page numbers rather than above or below them (to save vertical space).

Yes, I know having previous/next near the page #s could make people think that previous/next refer to pages (within a thread) rather than threads (within a forum) which is what they're for (moving to the next or prior thread). This is easily remedied by adding the word "thread" ...i.e.: previous thread/next thread or something like that.

At least make the font bigger, and maybe bolder....
rtpoe

Among the blossoms, under dewy skies,
With golden bells, and wreaths, and posies,
With bees’ love-tokens, butterflies’ good-byes,
We welcome May and say good-bye to roses.

-  Christina Rosetti, "May Morning"

tdotter

• Moistpubes2-the return of the goo!
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2016, 01:03:55 AM »
Whenever I click on my profile and the index of my messages or recent posts,I have to switch to landscape on my iPod touch in order to read the header.
It is fine when I click on a message or recent posts of mine and I don't have to switch to landscape.
See below.
Regular view:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:05:26 AM by tdotter »