*

evilkirk

  • P Cup
  • 1335
Star Wars moment
« on: November 19, 2004, 08:02:57 PM »
What's your favorite moment from these films?  Mine would would be at the end of ESB, when Vader telepathically pleads with Luke to reconsider joining him as the Falcon leaves the atmosphere.  It shows Vader's  first glimmer of vulnerability.  

*

Tiggo

  • Banned User
  • 1044
Re: Star Wars moment
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 08:54:08 PM »
".....now I am the Master....."

"You can't win, Darth.  Strike me down now and I shall come back more powerful than you can possibly imagine...."


   

*

IowaGuy

  • X Cup
  • 1676
  • The fattest Mr. Clean Impersonator since Elvis
Re: Star Wars moment
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 09:52:53 PM »
The first Jedi Mind Trick.
"You don't need to check us..."
Man, that was cool. I didn't really appreciate it till I was older. When I was a kid, it was just the whole first movie. I even had a blaster toy. Made the sounds and everything. I played with that thing till it broke. But, yeah, that Jedi Mind Trick is awesome.

*

GALVATRON

  • Z Cup
  • 2988
  • Obey Billy Zane
    • UndeadRobot
Re: Star Wars moment
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 10:32:03 PM »
Bwaaaahh!

My Favorite moment is when Chewbacca's father, Itchy looks into the virtual fatasy machine and has cyber-sex with the human female Diahann Caroll. That was trippy to find out that Wookiees dream about being sexed up by a fine sistas.
The other cool moment was when Jefforson Starship played that ultra spacey rock anthem...and of course Bea Arthur! -kicking her patrons out of the bar through song.  

*

MunchWolf

  • What Tagline?
  • 11463
Re: Star Wars moment
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 10:52:46 PM »
DAMN YOU GALVATRON !!!!! DAMN YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was gonna post that .... and watched it when it first aired ...

heh ... wookie porn ...

-Munch "blessed life day to you" Wolf  

*

Tesseract

  • G Cup
  • 820
  • Not **94** the Kool-Aid
Re: Star Wars moment
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 12:08:55 AM »
In Return of the Jedi where Luke says to Vader, "Then my Father is truly dead." and after Luke is lead off, it seems to hit Vader really hard.  
Avatar courtesy of 3rd-art.com

*

AZWolf

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 5402
Re: Star Wars moment
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 02:33:20 AM »
In retrospect, given what's been done in the ham-handed editing of Lucas' fog-shrouded mind -- when Han shot Greedo in the Cantina in his own defense.  That says everything you need to know about him, and even at that age I thought it was cool.  (When I played AD&D, I always played chaotic neutral characters.)  Someone who is wild, answers to himself and no one else, and has picked up his share of enemies along the way.  Yeah...  

Oh, on that note:   Han shot first!
   
Dawn, n.  The time of day when men of reason go to bed.

Pray, v.  To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.

          --  Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"


*

solvegas

  • ZZZ Cup
  • 83838
Re: Star Wars moment
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 06:11:24 AM »
When I first saw it in 1977 ( geez , how time flies ! ) it was the scene when they are fleeing from the imperial cruisers at Tatooine ( did I speel it right ?  ) and they jumped to lightspeed . WOW ! It seemed so cool then . Now , of course , it's rather pedestrian because special effects are so much more advanced , but at the time it blew me away .  

*

evilkirk

  • P Cup
  • 1335
Re: Star Wars moment
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 07:43:12 AM »
Solvegas, I can relate.  When the walkers first appeared in ESB, seeing them move in old-fashioned stop motion was much more thrilling than all of the CGI I've seen since then.  

*

Nimrod

  • KC Strip Artist
  • 2169
Re: Star Wars moment
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 09:28:00 AM »
The original movie had been out for one week when I went to see it. The lines to get in were not too bad because the word had not gotten out yet. That took a  bit longer.
I had no idea what to expect. The theater was full and the movie started. I found the perspective text that starts "Episode IV" a bit odd. Then there was the star destroyer that moves overhead, nice... but then

The whole theater goes crazy when C3PO and R2D2 show up in the hallway! I will always remember this because it felt like I was the only person who had not seen the film yet. These people were crazy! It was years before I actually heard what C3PO said during those first few lines.

Yes, it is odd - but that is the Star Wars moment I will always remember. The rabid fans just one week into the first movie's release.


Oh, and Carrie Fisher's nipples in the prison cell hypodermic probe scene.  
 
BE Together...

Images are (c) Nimrod unless noted otherwise

*

AZWolf

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 5402
Re: Star Wars moment
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 12:54:53 PM »
Quote:

The original movie had been out for one week when I went to see it.




Me, too.  My father saw it opening night.  I wanted to go, but my mother said, "It's just like Star Trek.  They stand around talking."  So I didn't go.  My father came back and told me about it.  So I saw it during its 2nd week in a huge old school theatre, balcony and all, and it was just...amazing.

I still covet my toy collection.      
 
Though on an emotional note, I loved being able to go to a real theatre when SW was released on the big screen with my father.  It was no big deal, but to be able to go back with him to see it on the big screen was just great.  
   
Dawn, n.  The time of day when men of reason go to bed.

Pray, v.  To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.

          --  Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"


*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: Star Wars moment
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 12:59:49 PM »
Well, I gave up on Star Wars... after Episode 1 (the first prequel) I couldn't even bring myself to go see Episode 2 at all, and I don't expect to go pay $10. and waste a couple hours of my life to see Episode 3.

But anyways, my fave Star Wars moment is simply seeing Princess Leia aka Carrie Fisher in the metal bikini outfit when she was captured by Jabba the Hut. I know: how unimaginative of me... guilty as charged. But there seems to have been so little genuine ooh-la-la in the films and like any good boy I had a big crush on Leia, so that bit of fanservice is appreciated. Carrie Fisher (even in her prime) wasn't particularly busty, but I loved it just the same. Like Nimrod, I too was smitten (in a non-sexual way of course! ) with the characters of R2D2 and C3PO, even moreso than the aliens in the movies.

It probably goes w/o saying that my fave SW film is the first one... for the innocence, lack of ego and sheer joy it showed. I also agree with solvegas and evilkirk in that the early physical/optical visual effects in the films seem SO much better (at the time) than all the CG garbage that followed in later SW pix and other movies. Now that every low-budget piece of crap is filled with CG, ALL movies seem the same in terms of VFX, INCLUDING the recent SW movies. Some are technically better than others, but all of them look cheesy and artificial. How very sad.

If Lucas really was the genius he thinks himself to be, he'd have relied less on CG over time (since even ILM's CG isn't truly photo-real or convincing yet) and instead RAISED THE BAR and evolved practical/physical effects to an even higher plane. ANYONE can make crappy CG, but not everyone has a cloud tank, a model shop filled with skilled artists, knows how to shoot over-cranked pyro effects, etc... ILM still has/uses all that, but sadly none of it's evolved much since the early 80s... all efforts have gone towards pursuits digital since then.

Tangentially:

Like AZWolf, I too played only chaotic neutral characters in AD&D... I played the same elven thief character once a week for more than 3 years in a serious game w/experienced (some might say cut-throat) players. Kept that character alive the whole time, and only gave him up when I took over as DM (another two years, after which I stopped playing AD&D altogether around the age of 17, which also happens to be when I started having sex on a regular basis).

   

*

MunchWolf

  • What Tagline?
  • 11463
Re: Star Wars moment
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 01:08:02 PM »
woo hoo .. CN rocks ... although it's been a long time since I've been a player in a game and not a GM ... (not counting NeverwinterNights which I play with MG lots) ...

-Munch "You are expected to kill things and loot their treasure .. how can you justify calling yourself good or lawful?" Wolf

*

GALVATRON

  • Z Cup
  • 2988
  • Obey Billy Zane
    • UndeadRobot
Re: Star Wars moment
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2004, 01:08:38 PM »
Quote:

The original movie had been out for one week when I went to see it. The lines to get in were not too bad because the word had not gotten out yet. That took a  bit longer.
I had no idea what to expect. The theater was full and the movie started. I found the perspective text that starts "Episode IV" a bit odd. Then there was the star destroyer that moves overhead, nice... but then




bwaaaah!
There must be a glitch in your memory circuits. If you saw Star Wars the first week it came out, the opening text did NOT start with "Episode IV". That portion of the text was added during the films re-release years later just before "The Empire Strikes Back" opened.

On a side note, I agree with Palomine that the new Star Wars films completely suck.  

*

ROBRAM89

  • G Cup
  • 894
    • www.robbisplace.freeservers.com
Re: Star Wars moment
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2004, 06:12:38 PM »
Jabba's palace and the cantina...made me almost want to live on Tatooine lol  
"I'm just going out to commit certain deeds." - Homer Simpson

Whink: "But seeing a chick with her whole hand stuffed into her cunt, up to her forearm just doesn't appeal to me."

Me: "Hello, strange man from space! I welcome you, but do not understand your bizarre alien language!"