*

Ironbeard

  • E Cup
  • 363
Sick Mom
« on: March 01, 2008, 07:23:03 PM »
I'm going through a rough depression right now.   My mom has spots on her liver and lungs for the CT scan.  I fear the worst.  She seems fine physically but still.  She has to have an MRI and liver biopsy.   She sees a cancer specialist that I hear is a good one.  Lung cancer was ruled out but not liver.  

Anyone else ever have someone they care about go through this.  I don't know, I just very scared right now.
When angry count four.  When very angry, swear.---Mark Twain

*

DruulEmpire

  • Freakin' Huge!
  • 12880
Re: Sick Mom
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 11:43:14 PM »
I'm lucky to still have my parents, who are still doing quite well in their seventies, although I know they're not going to be able to go on forever.  I do have a good friend who continues to teach at Kent State while fighting back lymphoma.

These days, if you're lucky, cancer is something you can live your life in spite of.  I'm crossing my fingers for you -- particularly as a fellow Vixen fan.

*

pedonbio

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 22949
Re: Sick Mom
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 02:50:24 PM »
I don't know what to say; my father was convinced that, like his father, he would die of cancer.

He died at 93 of heart failure.
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

*

KBTs

  • B Cup
  • 160
Re: Sick Mom
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 09:47:23 PM »
Ruling out lung cancer already is a DARN good start.  My Mom "presented" with non-small-cell lung cancer at Stage 4 (tumors that had spread to other organs) this past June and died within 3 months.  No little spot in her liver, either: the size of a softball.  Very, very aggressive tumor in an essentially inoperable place in her lung, as well, where it all started.  Ruling out lung cancer is a good thing.  A very good thing.

I do not know enough (other than to refuse to speculate wildly) about how many non-malignant and non-dangerous things can cause spots in diagnostic imaging, but you are definitely on the right track in heading for the people who do.  While they are learning what is going on, your web medical IQ will go way up as you start to learn how to understand what they are doing, where they are heading, and what questions to ask them to help guide you both in the most beneficial direction.

I have been where you are, and did not get any good news at all.  You are in my thoughts, and I wish you and your Mom the very best.

Unfortunately, always remember that it is called the "Practice of Medicine" for many reasons.   You will be doing your homework to be the most informed patient advocate for your Mom that you can be, and that will help you both get the best care you can.  Ask for and use any technical vocabulary they can give you, as it will help you in your search for answers, treatments, and hope.

*

Ironbeard

  • E Cup
  • 363
Re: Sick Mom
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 05:08:13 PM »
A need you all to know how my I appreciate all your help and well wishes.  I means a lot to me.    This is one of the greatest sites on the net.   Not because of the content  (which is great BTW) but the great people.  

She had her MRI today and if feeling better.  Just need to talk to the cancer doctor again and see if she still needs the liver biopsy.    She is also strong enough to drive me crazy.  A good sign.
When angry count four.  When very angry, swear.---Mark Twain

*

Ironbeard

  • E Cup
  • 363
Re: Sick Mom
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:37:59 AM »
 We finally got the results back and its cancer.  She need to have another test, some kind of full body scan to see how far it spread to determine the right treatment.  
      My mom's best friend is helping me a lot through this.  She is confident that my mom will be okay.  She had 4 sister die from horrible   conditions.  And she herself came close with lupus.  She knows all about
what my mom is going through and is sure she will
be okay.
      I on the other hand have trouble being optimistic.  With so many bad things happen to my family its very hard.  But I'm going to try.  But I'm very very scared.
When angry count four.  When very angry, swear.---Mark Twain

*

KBTs

  • B Cup
  • 160
Re: Sick Mom
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 05:19:47 AM »
   Your Mom may be taking a very low level radioactive tracer-based sugar solution that will identify cells with higher than normal metabolic rates concentrating more of the radioactive tracer by metabolizing more of the sugar.  The scan will then identify the localized areas of greater radioactivity.  This may indicate also if surgery, radiation, chemical therapy, or any other weapons in the anti-cancer arsenal are options.

   From there, samples of the cells will be taken to identify them as precisely as possible to tailor any chemical treatment to be as nasty as possible to the cancerous cells.

   Learn as much technical information as you can about the type of tumors, cells, and treatment options and then search on the Internet for any and all information.  You will slowly build up an understanding of, literally, what the heck is actually going on and how you can help both your Mom and her oncologist(s) to wage the best fight.  Persevere, and take notes.  As everyone learns more, you will keep up or catch up and be even more helpful to your Mom.

   Should conditions appear less favorable, you will be able to understand why; should they appear more favorable, you will, too.  In both cases, your knowledge will be helpful to you both, even though with knowledge comes the potential for better understanding bad outcomes as well.

   Start learning; try to take some control of the knowledge; help your Mom understand as best you both can; and think positively but be prepared through understanding to accept any negatives as they are discovered.

*

Ironbeard

  • E Cup
  • 363
Re: Sick Mom
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 09:26:44 AM »
I don't want to going into too many details because I'm still too sad.  She died on friday.  Never got to give her what I made for her for mothersday.  I know the pain will never go away, just lessen over time.  Right now I'm in so much pain.  I miss her so much.
When angry count four.  When very angry, swear.---Mark Twain

*

robclassact

  • P Cup
  • 1891
    • RobClassact Writes
Re: Sick Mom
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 12:11:30 PM »
My heartfelt condolences.
Website. - DeviantArt. - Twitter
Slow Growth & Mini Giantess Story Compilation Project. Check it out!

*

Bonkers

  • G Cup
  • 868
Re: Sick Mom
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 01:13:43 PM »
My deep Condolences to you and you're family. I know how it feels to lose a love one and friends to cancer...it really SUCKS!
Bonkers

*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: Sick Mom
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 05:04:55 PM »
 Very very sorry to hear of your loss Ironbeard.  

*

homevintner

  • L Cup
  • 8221
Re: Sick Mom
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 10:57:56 PM »
My deepest condolences.
"All religions seem to dislike breasts, but it's just the opposite with me." - Eric Idle

*

Juliekat

  • BA's Muse
  • 494
Re: Sick Mom
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 06:00:04 AM »
I'm so very sorry to heat of your mother's passing.
"grOw" volumes #1-#4 and #5 (issue 1) as well as the grOw stOry Collections now available!: http://www.bustartist.com/

*

DruulEmpire

  • Freakin' Huge!
  • 12880
Re: Sick Mom
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 09:16:10 AM »
If Vixen were to offer me a hug, I'd say "Him first."

*

Ironbeard

  • E Cup
  • 363
Re: Sick Mom
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 06:53:05 AM »
Quote:

DruulEmpire said:
If Vixen were to offer me a hug, I'd say "Him first."




That is one of the sweetest comments I have received.  Thank you.   And Thank you all for all the comments.  They really do help.
When angry count four.  When very angry, swear.---Mark Twain