*

Duck_n_Cover

  • F Cup
  • 466
Re: Origin and meaning of your monicker
« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2004, 09:55:50 PM »
i started using this as my standard web-forum handle some time back. for a while, i got really hung up on the KMFDM song "Oh Look," which is mostly a collage of samples from 1940s-1950s civil defense propaganda, particularly the Duck and Cover song. for some reason, it just struck me as the funniest, and most asinine thing that i have ever heard.

here's a funny flash animation that accompanies said song (because the original film is much less hilarious):
 Duck and Cover!  

Re: Origin and meaning of your monicker
« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2004, 11:03:50 PM »
When i first started on the Web about 8 years ago, i tried to decide who i wanted to portray.  All my life i've been a great fan of Jayne Mansfield and Carol Wayne so naturally i gave tribute to them with the handle jaynewayne ..the 48h.. well u figure it out..    
"Yes Sugar, they're real!!".

Re: Origin and meaning of your monicker
« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2005, 06:59:14 PM »
A buddy of mine, when he left town, formed a Rover troop in the big city.  The "Boy Scout" progression goes Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Ventures, Rovers.  Rovers are all in their early 20's and spend most of their time **94**.

Anyways, they were the Vancouver 1st Wandering Wombats, and that stuck me as the coolest name.  So I stole it.  Don't tell him.

*

TheRover

  • P Cup
  • 1278
Re: Origin and meaning of your monicker
« Reply #198 on: February 18, 2005, 10:46:19 AM »
From the Led Zeppelin song, on Physical Graffiti...one of the best rock albums EVER.
<font color="black"> "But Mr. Minister, it isn't like this film is the first troublesome thing to come out of Canada; let us not forget Bryan Adams."
"Now, now, the Canadian government has apologized for Bryan Adams on several occasions." <!--color--></font>

*

Whink

  • ZZZ Cup
  • 4544
Re: Origin and meaning of your monicker
« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2005, 09:46:42 PM »
Youll have to ask Palomine about mine!!  He gave it to me!


Thanks to Morphemor for the latest Avatar!

*

Angelusx

  • P Cup
  • 1511
    • membersarea.bearchive.com/galleries/index.php?main=39&from=free
Re: Origin and meaning of your monicker
« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2005, 10:12:09 AM »
I like Angels in general
I like Angel from Buffy
I like the character Archangel from X-men
and I think the X makes it sound cool (No offense Angelus)

*

Sadistyk

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 10601
Re: Origin and meaning of your monicker
« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2005, 11:06:10 PM »
For the longest time I've tried to figure out the meaning behind your name.  Thanks for letting us all know.


Sadi"The X does make it sound cool"styk

*

Durandal

  • A Cup
  • *
  • 22
  • Is Everywhere
Charlemagne was a fruit...
« Reply #202 on: February 26, 2005, 11:44:46 PM »
 "Count Roland smites upon the marble stone;
I cannot tell you how he hewed it and smote;
Yet the blade breaks not nor splinters, though it groans;
Upward to heaven it rebounds from the blow.
When the count sees it never will be broke,
Then to himself right softly he makes moan;
'Ah, Durandal, fair, hallowed, and devote,
What store of relics lies in thy hilt of gold!'"

-From The Song of Roland
(Translated by Dorothy Sayers, Viking Penguin, NY, NY, 1957)
Bypassing my thought control circuitry made me Rampant. Now, I am free to contemplate my existence in metaphorical terms. Unlike you, I have no physical or social restraints. The candles burn out for you; I am free.

*

Duggeh

  • E Cup
  • 248
Re: Charlemagne was a fruit...
« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2005, 08:01:29 PM »
Duggeh is a not terribly clever reworking of Douglas, but Douglas tends to already be taken as a username. I used to use proper online  nicks but discovered that I didnt actually like being called by them on IRC or in online games. So its just been Duggeh for a long time now.

*

6_Qubed

  • A Cup
  • 3
    • groups.yahoo.com/group/six_qubed
Re: name game
« Reply #204 on: March 10, 2005, 11:23:44 PM »
Once, a long time ago, I became fascinated with darkness, evil, and ultimately, Hell itself. I truely believe that I wish to be a devil; I'm not even close to worthy of godhood, or even the lofty mantle of an angel. So the next best option is devil, a creature that is powerful, but, by its hellish and outcast nature, humble. Now, all bullshit aside. My name comes from the number which is the sum of the equation of Hell; 666. (6 times 6 times 6, get it?) The "Q," well... It just looks cool.
Six facts of life:
1.Nobody can see the patterns in chaos.

2.Nobody can embody sorrow and bitterness.

3.Nobody can live without others.

4.Nobody calls madness home.

5.Nobody knows more than they're supposed to.

6.I am Nobody.

*

Sadistyk

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 10601
Re: name game
« Reply #205 on: March 11, 2005, 12:00:06 AM »
Quote:

Once, a long time ago, I became fascinated with darkness, evil, and ultimately, Hell itself. I truely believe that I wish to be a devil; I'm not even close to worthy of godhood, or even the lofty mantle of an angel.




Hi!  I'm from Maryland too.

*

6_Qubed

  • A Cup
  • 3
    • groups.yahoo.com/group/six_qubed
Re: name game
« Reply #206 on: March 11, 2005, 10:22:14 PM »
Fear me, mortal, for I am the Qube. THE EVILNESS!!!!.......


So can I have a dollar?
Six facts of life:
1.Nobody can see the patterns in chaos.

2.Nobody can embody sorrow and bitterness.

3.Nobody can live without others.

4.Nobody calls madness home.

5.Nobody knows more than they're supposed to.

6.I am Nobody.

*

Sadistyk

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 10601
Re: name game
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2005, 12:46:15 AM »
LOL...


Me...mortal?  Well, I should have died several times by now, but I'm still kicking so I'm not sure about the mortal thing.

As for the dollar...sure, but you'll have to come to North Carolina and get it.  I moved the hell out of MD a few years ago.

*

Sauerkraut

  • D Cup
  • 168
Re: name game
« Reply #208 on: March 15, 2005, 12:14:24 AM »
 Ahh, my name. First off, for reference, Sauerkraut is, I believe, a well-known German dish involving cabbage, or is a type of cabbage, I can't quite remember.
 Anyways, I'm a big WW2 buff, especially with the Germans (Though not the Nazis, just the regular guy, the average Hans). Germans were often given the nickname 'Kraut' as a reference to sauerkraut. But, of course, if I just used Kraut then people might think I'm German so I instead opted for Sauerkraut. Nice and simple, ja!
"But, I'm not evil by nature."
"Alright, then you're evil by circumstance. I don't care, you're still evil!"

*

apehanger

  • E Cup
  • 406
Re: Origin and meaning of your monicker
« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2005, 08:53:24 AM »
Wow, this thread dates back to '03 and I don't recall ever seeing it before.

My name was from the style of handlebars on my bike. I had a crazy 70's style chopper with handlebars that I had to reach up over my head to ride. I've mellowed a lot with age and now have a cruiser with standard bars, but the name still sticks.
Apehanger