*

MaxiMoundsSexyBigTitsAndSexyBigAss

  • A Cup
  • 810
  • Maxi Mounds Is Sexy!
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2013, 01:32:42 AM »
'The Wolverine' extended edition and theatrical edition.  Saw this awesome movie in the theaters 5 times and it was great then and it is even better now on DVD and Blu Ray.  The extended edition, awesome!

*

rtpoe

  • Old Fart
  • 12420
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2013, 10:50:06 PM »
Someone is a time traveller. The movie he's interested in isn't scheduled to hit the theaters for at least five months.

Either that, or he's a goddam asshole.
rtpoe

The ground is deep with fallen leaves and nuts of White and Red Oak, and of Beech, that line and fill the footprints and the ruts which all along the wooded pathway reach. First claim, of course, to chipmunk and to squirrel for bleak mid-Winter sustenance belongs, as all around old leaves descend and twirl about, through feathered autumn songs.
"Oakwise", Nut Gathering at Alban Eve

*

Ronald Ray Gun

  • A Cup
  • 118
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »
Frozen was really great.

*

salem

  • Moderator
  • 76254
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2013, 06:31:48 PM »
I thought Gravity was dreadfully boring.  I admit, the special effects were brilliant, and the director had some nice imagery/symbolimsm in there, but it was a real case of style over substance in my opinion. The story was less than wafer thin. So often critics criticise a movie for having a slow or meandering, or in some cases bad story/plot. This movie truly had the lowest amount of plot/story of any movie I have seen this year. Apart from the fact that

*Spolier Alert*
one of the two leads is killed off early in the movie meaning that all tension is now lost, since you can hardly kill off the ONLY OTHER SURVIVING CHARACTER that is left!

*end Spoiler alert*

Oh dearie me.

Still, nice to see a Sci-Fi (Sci-Fact?) movie doing well at the box-office, and like I say, the symbolism about Sandra Bullock's character being seemingly 'reborn' showed some directorial flair, but overall, I like my movies a bit more substantial plot wise. I don't mean something so complex you need a physics degree to work it out, but something to get the little grey cells a bit of a workout.

*

Zorro

  • Zorro Cup
  • 6053
  • Morphs are updated each week!
    • Zorro" Zorromorphs @ Shutterfly
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2013, 06:57:01 PM »
Being that I am in my early 60's I have seen hundreds if not thousands of movies.

Since I do not currently have my own transportation I do not have the luxury of going out in the evening to a theater since the buses here in Hampton, VA do not run late.

However I do try to see what is out there via Netflix, downloading movies and being able to obtain a lot of movies through not so regular means.

I think I saw "Forbidden Planet" at a drive-in with my parents and some other sci-fi movies such as "Atlantis the Lost Continent", The Wizard of Oz and Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor. I believe that movie was my first introduction to "cleavage".

At the Stanley Theater in downtown Pittsburgh, PA I saw Ben-Hur and El Cid.

I was fascinated by Sophia Loren and that was the first time I saw her in a movie.

Also, the gangster movies of the 1930's with James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart plus Edward G Robinson were favorites as well. Of course I saw them on television because I am not that old now!

Not too long ago there was a movie about John Dillinger with Johnny Depp portraying Dillinger, but to me Warren Oates did a far better job. Of course him bearing a resemblance to the notorious bank robber helped.

I'll end this with the re-make of Bonnie and Clyde recently broadcast last week.  

I enjoyed it as it was done remarkably well, but I also have the original with Warren Beatty and Fay Dunaway which I saw in a theater when it came out. The latter movie although historically accurate took liberties with what actually happened because Clyde never got out of the car when the law opened up on him and Bonnie.

I like this thread and I hope others will join in with their own reflections and memories of the movies.

WHEN STARTING OR ANSWERING THREADS/POSTS, LINKS ARE SHOWN TO PROVIDE SOURCE INFORMATION INSTEAD OF JUST COPYING/PASTING PERSONAL OPINIONS.

*

solvegas

  • ZZZ Cup
  • 83838
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2013, 12:04:40 AM »
Enjoyed the newest Hobbit movie even though it did not follow the book very faithfully. It is quite long so make sure you pee and **108** before you go because it is about 3 hours long if you include the trailers. With no intermission. There were no dead spots and the movie was brisk so it didn't feel that long. I also saw Frozen and it is a very good movie. Just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean it does not have some plot twists. I don't want to spoil it but one of the major characters is definitely interesting.  :)

*

solvegas

  • ZZZ Cup
  • 83838
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2013, 12:00:20 AM »
Today I wasted hard earned money on a truly atrocious piece of shit, Anchorman 2. It was simply not funny and by the reaction of those around me I wasn't alone on that asessment. A few walked out. I've regreted seeing the last few Will Ferrel movies. I now will avoid his crap as much as possible.  >:(

*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2013, 08:57:36 PM »
Today I wasted hard earned money on a truly atrocious piece of shit, Anchorman 2. It was simply not funny and by the reaction of those around me I wasn't alone on that asessment. A few walked out. I've regreted seeing the last few Will Ferrel movies. I now will avoid his crap as much as possible.  >:(

Given the full court press by studio PR I suspect they're a bit worried that others might feel as you do too... they're probably hoping for a few strong days/couple of weekends before word of mouth gets around. From the incessant advertising for this movie, I personally can't imagine why anyone would think it'd be entertaining, but I know I'm not in the target demo.

The last Will Ferrel movie I saw and enjoyed was Stranger Than Fiction in 2006.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:59:26 PM by Palomine »

*

rtpoe

  • Old Fart
  • 12420
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2013, 10:24:37 PM »
Suspiria (1977)

"A newcomer to a fancy ballet academy gradually comes to realize that the school is a front for something far more sinister and supernatural amidst a series of grisly murders." - IMDB

Dario Argento's masterpiece. While one could go over the plot, that's not really the point here. The movie is all about style - in this case, what's called giallo. Gaudy set design and vivid color (the attached still is from one of the more toned down scenes) that make today's movies look almost black and white.

There's a dreamy quality ("nightmarish" might be better, given the subject!) to the film. Not everything makes sense. The girl murdered in the beginning, which one might think would be the primary plot driver, is soon forgotten. The disfigured servant and the blind piano player add to the creepiness.

Watch it with the lights down low, and the sound (especially if you have the version with Goblin performing the soundtrack) up.

rtpoe

The ground is deep with fallen leaves and nuts of White and Red Oak, and of Beech, that line and fill the footprints and the ruts which all along the wooded pathway reach. First claim, of course, to chipmunk and to squirrel for bleak mid-Winter sustenance belongs, as all around old leaves descend and twirl about, through feathered autumn songs.
"Oakwise", Nut Gathering at Alban Eve

*

tdotter

  • 16284
    • Moistpubes2-the return of the goo!
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2013, 07:08:42 AM »
I love Argento's movies.I always thought that Stanley Kubrick was going for an Argento type horror film with "The Shining".I'm not saying that he purposely tried to copy Dario or anything.I just think that was the style of horror movie that he was going for.
I really think that Dario and Stanley could have helped each other out in regards to each other's movies.I think that Dario could have taught Stanley how to build an effective scary scene and Stanley could have taught Dario how to flesh his main characters out more and not make them so one dimensional.
Even when you watch European slasher films like Torso and Demons you quickly realize that these filmmakers were way more influenced by Dario than any of the American horror or slasher films.
I still think that Dario's greatest achievement was introducing everyone to his very hot daughter,Asia!

*

gOOber

  • Pic-O-Matic
  • 25236
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
 ::)
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

*

gOOber

  • Pic-O-Matic
  • 25236
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2013, 07:01:33 AM »
 :)
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

*

gOOber

  • Pic-O-Matic
  • 25236
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2013, 07:24:20 PM »
 :)
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

*

pedonbio

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 22949
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2013, 11:18:56 PM »
Who would have thought that the ready availablity of computers and this interweb would make it possible to see almost any movie ever made whenever and as often as we want? Last night I saw "Sixth Sense" for the third or fourth time, and saw both the strengths and weaknesses of the film in sharper relief.
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

*

gOOber

  • Pic-O-Matic
  • 25236
Re: Watched any good films lately MERGED
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2013, 05:07:35 PM »
 :)
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....