So for me the great question is still being begged. Forget "Who is John Galt?" WHO IS JAMES TAGGART?
Rereading this in modern times, one parallel lept to my mind: Donald Rumsfeld. Declaring "Stuff happens" when looting breaks out, telling the troops "You go to war with the army you have" -- man oh man, Rumsfeld brings James Taggart to mind. Patton had his problems, but I have to believe he would have gotten on someone's case over such failings -- but no, not Rumsfeld. I think what has long thrown people off is Rumsfeld's gruff delivery, which "The Daily Show" once nicely summed up as some crotchety curmudgeon growling "Go ahead and kick me in the nuts, ya young punk, just try, I dare ya!" But I'm not persuaded. He may have been growling away like Nick Nolte in "The Thin Red Line," but Donald Rumsfeld is James Taggart to me.
That is, until I consider -- Tony Hayward. Murmuring that TransOcean has to share the blame (which it does, but come on!), hedging that BP will honor all LEGITIMATE claims, confessing "I want my life back" -- if ever there was any bleating mediocrity-apologizing chief executive to draw James Taggart from, it's Tony Hayward.
The problem being, these are examples from our times. Did Rand have even one real person in mind when she created James Taggart -- and even more interesting to me, would her dogma have permitted her to own up to the James Taggart nature of Donald Rumsfeld or Tony Hayward? I'm wondering if she's thinking of David Rockefeller, of someone inheriting a vast responsibility "wasting" himself on philanthropy -- but no, philanthropy hasn't even been mentioned yet.
Instead, James Taggart grumbles about one Ellis Wyatt making life challenging and difficult for him by learning how to "rejuvenate" (!!!) oil wells, or about the steel he's always gotten in the past from Henry Rearden. Instead of acknowledging such men of ability, he's willing to stake everything on a friendship with the subcompetent Orren Boyle. (If we take the Rumsfeld analogy further, does Orren Boyle become Erik Prince, the leader of Blackwater, now Xe?)
Rand also gives James (as far as I can recall right now, he's the only James in the book) a certain prissiness. Must Eddie Willers barge in on him? Can't that sister of his, Dagny, sit in a chair instead of on one of the arms? Why must Henry Rearden be "vulgarly" referred to as Hank? Petty stuff like that.
By the time Dagny meets James, we've already seen her throw herself into getting a train to keep its schedule. I have to wonder if Rand was being directly ironic about Fascism getting summed up as "The trains run on time!"
At any rate, the problem "Who is James Taggart?" demands resolution, because without that answer Eddie and Dagny are simply upholding the most basic principles of business, such as using reliable suppliers. Who honestly is against that?
We also get a glimpse of the "mystery" when the highly competent Owen Kellogg (clearly one OK guy) respectfully takes his leave of business with the railroad, and with this first chapter over we can now look forward to meeting Hank Rearden. What I find quite striking is that Rand clearly meant John Galt to be the supreme man, yet her own readership seems to rebel a little and prefers to remember Hank Rearden. So the one character that the fans seem to just plain like the most (perhaps in a sort of Han Solo vis-a-vis Luke Skywalker way) will be forthcoming ...
PS -- You know, the more I think on this, there's a LOT of James Taggart bailing out Orren Boyle to be found on the right. "Heckuva job, Brownie."