gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
Name of Morphs Forum changed back to Morph Requests Forum
« on: April 04, 2015, 06:13:43 PM »
Several months ago, we changed the name of the Morph Requests Forum to the Morphs Forum. It seemed like a good, inclusive idea at the time, but Prof Morearty has pointed out that calling it the Morphs Forum implies that morphs might be off-topic in other forums. In fact, morphs are welcome on any board where they're entertaining/useful/relevant in a discussion. Consequently, we've changed Morphs Forum back to Morph Requests Forum so that as before, there's still one proper board for requesting morphs.

Thank you for your patience as we tamper with things best left as they were.  ;D
_
gonZo
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 06:17:07 PM by gonZo »

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
Re: Name of Morphs Forum changed back to Morph Requests Forum
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 03:38:36 AM »
 8)  You're welcome.
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

SamV

• My bra size? A 34H - H is for 'HUGE, you know!'
  • SaRenna Lee - the "Joan Holloway" prototype!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
Thank you for your patience as we tamper with things best left as they were.  ;D
_
gonZo

Yes - stop the merging of threads!
Old threads lost in the depths of the forum should be left alone. Combining them to newer threads adds little, when most of them have lost the attachments; links given in old posting to sites that no longer work; links in postings to other threads that were working, but now don't work; and bookmarks to new threads vanish when they are merged with the old threads.

I'm not sure what prompted this merging of the threads, but please stop.
(Just one user's opinion. ::) :-\)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:17:49 PM by SamV »
** SaRenna's very own Beta Baby **
The only thing in life you have to earn is love; everything else you can steal.
{ Recently Returned from Internet Limbo! }

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:51:39 PM »
Old threads lost in the depths of the forum should be left alone. Combining them to newer threads adds little, when most of them have lost the attachments; links given in old posting to sites that no longer work; links in postings to other threads that were working, but now don't work; and bookmarks to new threads vanish when they are merged with the old threads.

Your opinion is noted Sam, and most of the downside you point out is true, but is offset by the benefit of reducing the total number of different threads ALL about the same subject. In some extreme cases, there have literally been 40 or 50 separate/redundant threads about a popular model and that makes it a helluva task for anyone to find something specific about her using the (already handicapped) search tool. Even in the more common cases of us having 5, 10 or 20 threads about a single topic, it makes sense to merge where possible, if only to put the info in one place so users will be able to access it without spending a lot of extra time wrestling with search.

There was only a year and a half (or so) period where the attachments were lost... less than 10 percent of the total time the current forum's been online. So, merging old threads isn't a negative thing insofar as the fact that about 10 percent of the older merged posts won't have attachments... even w/o attachments, many posts are still very useful (besides, plenty of newer/recent posts that use external image links have lost their images through no fault of the forum). ;)

As for merges breaking internal links... I've noticed this with images (but it makes sense with bookmarks too) and unfortunately, the forum software's not smart enough to back-change the broken pointers following a merge. Salem did a test about this (with internal image links)... he'll chime in with details of his test if he sees this.

In general, we DO prefer that users search and append to existing threads on a topic rather than start yet another redundant thread on the same topic... that's the same logic that supports the merging of older threads where appropriate.

Better some modest collateral damage (from broken internal links and bookmarks) than having 50 different threads all about Nadine Jansen. :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:58:25 PM by Palomine »

Palomine

SamV

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 07:19:15 PM »
Perhaps so, Pal - but some merges make no sense to me. :-\

In one merged discussion thread (I think it was the merged Christina Hendricks thread) some of the old threads were only tangentially about the subject/person in the larger, more popular thread they were joined to, adding little to the discussion, or completely off-topic, much like what happen in the Jenny McCarthy thread, and her stance on vaccines.

Additionally, a merged thread I saw (possibly the same one on CH, I don't remember) joined two relatively popular threads that were discussing different aspects of the subject/person over approximately the same time frame. The resulting merger, which I take is always based on putting the dates of posts in chronological order in the merge, had the two discussions going on in the separate threads interleaved in such a manner that it made it much more difficult (if not, almost impossible) for a reader to follow in the now newly merged thread.

Anyway as I said this is just my opinion, and while I know nothing will come of it, I felt a need to get it off my chest. :-X   
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:21:57 PM by SamV »

Palomine

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 07:51:33 PM »
Perhaps so, Pal - but some merges make no sense to me. :-\

In one merged discussion thread (I think it was the merged Christina Hendricks thread) some of the old threads were only tangentially about the subject/person in the larger, more popular thread they were joined to, adding little to the discussion, or completely off-topic, much like what happen in the Jenny McCarthy thread, and her stance on vaccines.

Additionally, a merged thread I saw (possibly the same one on CH, I don't remember) joined two relatively popular threads that were discussing different aspects of the subject/person over approximately the same time frame. The resulting merger, which I take is always based on putting the dates of posts in chronological order in the merge, had the two discussions going on in the separate threads interleaved in such a manner that it made it much more difficult (if not, almost impossible) for a reader to follow in the now newly merged thread.

Anyway as I said this is just my opinion, and while I know nothing will come of it, I felt a need to get it off my chest. :-X   

I understand and (again) agree with your points Sam and you're welcome to vent. Please allow me to point out that two big/active threads on the same subject getting posts at the same time is the exception rather than the rule... normally, if Christina H is popular, most users will post in the main/most active thread on her. So, while that annoying interweaving CAN sometimes happen post-merge, it's sorta rare... and posts still have their original thread titles if a reader really wants to follow the exact dialog (though let's be honest about that too: many threads are simply collections of images and not conversations, so getting two intermixed like that is hardly a problem).

salem

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 12:42:46 PM »

With regards to thread merging I do feel it is in the boards interests to have all threads on a subject under one 'roof'.

For example, when doing a search for a particular model, you may come across 20 or more different threads and who wants to search through all of those to see which is the best one to add something to? Having one thread for each Model/Subject just makes more sense to me.

With regards to two threads about the same person having different 'themes', does it matter? Since both threads are indeed about the same model anyway. In those cases the threads are renamed to reflect the different aspects of the separate threads, or given the simple title of the model herself merely with the word MERGED following it.

There was also a mention about threads which go 'off-topic', threads which start of about a certain model then divert onto something else. The fact that this happens in a thread about a model is really of no consequence really as many threads do this and then come roaring back 'on-topic' later on. I have on occasion separated out such discussion from threads, but in the case of very long threads, you can't sort through every post just because it goes off-topic somewhat.

Anyway, in the vast majority of cases MERGING threads has none of these sorts of problems and lets people find information on their favourite models so much easier. Indeed, in many cases I have merged threads in which the titles don't even mention the model in question! In these cases it is much better for the members as it prevents multiple threads springing up when people DO do a search on a model and find nothing. One such example is a thread that was entitled 'The New Lucy Pinder' which was about Casey Batchelor, so it was merged with another Casey thread and renamed.

As Pal points out, it is a rare thing to have two active large threads on the same model at the same time, and even if we do, it will not stop me merging them.

Still, if you have any problems with 'off-topic' portions in threads about models, please let me know and I can always excise them to tidy things up.

There is of course the problem of once a thread is merged, then the bookmark can be lost, but popular threads are usually added to pretty frequently, so finding them again isn't too much of a hassle. In any case I will be updating a MERGINGS thread in site issues to inform members of any mergings I do.

Finally, the subject of lost links (when someone links to an image attachment rather than re-uploading it). This is unavoidable I am afraid. I carried out tests and when merging threads together any pictures from the LATER thread, automatically have the TOPIC portion changed to the OLDER thread. The newly merged thread will always keep the OLDER topic number (the lower of the two topic numbers). The age of the thread is determined by the date of the very first post. Which of course will change the reply number of any attachments, breaking internal links. This doesn't cause that many problems, but it may  be annoying should post an internal link. This happened to a few of Pal internal links when I merged a couple of 'Amateur babe' threads together. A few of the amateurs had been linked to in the ID thread and when the threads were merged, the links were lost. However, for the most part mergings are for model threads rather than specific threads so these sorts of occurrences are quite rare.

Mod edit to edtiorialize a wee bit about salem's final paragraph above: by "internal links" salem's talking about when a user will use the "[IMG]" tags to embed and display a linked image inside the text of a post. If the source of the linked image happens to be in another BEA forum post, we refer to it as an internal link since both the original attached image and the new display of it in a more recent post are local: i.e.: located internally on the BEA server.

I did happen to have roughly 20 such internal links broken due to thread mergings, but I probably do that internal linking more often than some other users, since I generally use an internal link to display an image that another user has posted elsewhere in the forum when I add that image to my IDQ thread: http://forum.bearchive.com/index.php/topic,9991092.0.html I'm not going to lie... it was time consuming to re-find and re-link all those broken images after they were merged, but that was the only alternative to just leaving them broken/undisplayed (which my OCD wouldn't permit ;)).

If you find that a merge has broken a link you put elsewhere in the forum by changing the URL to the internally-sourced image, you can usually find it with a bit of searching, or sometimes it's just easier to find the image file itself on your hard drive or online and re-upload/attach it. Despite this collateral damage from thread merging, we (forum mods) STILL prefer that users don't upload the exact same image file again and again over time since it only wastes server space and needlessly embiggens the attachment database. IF you want to display an image that another user has already attached to a post here (thus, it's already on the BEA server) please STILL use the internal link method (i.e.: the "[IMG]" tags) to do so. Thanks. :) -Palomine
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:22:27 PM by Palomine »

SamV

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 01:24:30 PM »
On thinking back on the one example I cited regarding the CH merge I think the thread I was questioning was one that had started out by the original poster in which he declared a desire for CH to play Wonder Woman in a a new proposed movie/TV show. It then soon diverged from being about CH as WW, to other posts, including ones I left, of the merits of other actresses to play the role, and even some nostalgia about Lynda Carter in the role.

So this thread, despite having CH's name in the title, was only tangentially about her and mostly about WW and who should play her. That was why I was left questioning why this thread was ever merged in to the CH thread at all? So it might have been better to merge it with threads about WW, if it/they exist, or at even better, just change the thread title to make it clear what the discussion was really about. :-\
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:32:31 PM by SamV »