*

homevintner

  • L Cup
  • 8221
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #645 on: January 03, 2015, 12:06:10 AM »
The last few nights weren't anything to wright about, but New Year's Eve dinner was amazing.It started with a cup of corn & crab chowder, the main was a duck breast cooked to medium rare with an apricot glaze, and a heaping side of wild rice. There was plenty of warm, fresh bread to go along with it.
"All religions seem to dislike breasts, but it's just the opposite with me." - Eric Idle

*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #646 on: January 07, 2015, 12:40:28 AM »
It's not much, but when a gal pal's "in the mood for dinner and a movie" and she lives within walking distance, this is what I could come up with, having literally less than three minutes' notice.

Birdm@n was pretty great btw. :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:08:07 AM by Palomine »

*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #647 on: January 07, 2015, 07:26:34 PM »
Dining alone, a quick fish dinner. A nice hunk of salmon (the skin made extra crispy thanks to a very hot pan), rice with Teriyaki and furikake, a mixed salad with butter lettuce, endive and almond-stuffed olives in a soy vinaigrette, and some of that root vegetable puree (parsnip, potato and carrot) from the other night. All quite tasty.

Photo to be added once the 1-1-1 rule permits.  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:40:58 AM by Palomine »

*

gOOber

  • Pic-O-Matic
  • 25236
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #648 on: January 07, 2015, 07:48:19 PM »
Stuffed vine leaves, marinated artichoke hearts, brown tomatoes, Monterey cheese spread with Marmite, and rum cake. Pretty good for a cold supper. :-*
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:52:14 PM by gOOber »
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

*

pedonbio

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 22949
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #649 on: January 07, 2015, 07:55:03 PM »
Stuffed vine leaves, marinated artichoke hearts, brown tomatoes, Monterey cheese spread with Marmite, and rum cake. Pretty good for a cold supper. :-*

Are you turning vegetarian on us?   ::)
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

*

gOOber

  • Pic-O-Matic
  • 25236
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #650 on: January 07, 2015, 08:01:55 PM »
Are you turning vegetarian on us?   ::)
No way! Just an aberration.
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #651 on: January 11, 2015, 10:54:17 PM »
Chipotle chicken meatloaf w/garlic mashed potatoes (w/homemade gravy) and a roast carrot recipe from the Times (w/citrus, cilantro and avocado). Salad and Pinot Grigio not pictured. We ate well and didn't manage to leave room for dessert.

*

Ninjaturtle

  • XXX Cup
  • 1886
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #652 on: January 11, 2015, 10:58:50 PM »
Tried my hand at making pasta carbonara. Turned out just the way I wanted it to. Had it with a salad.

*

homevintner

  • L Cup
  • 8221
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #653 on: January 13, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
Last night was home made potato cheese soup. Tonight, maybe a large salad.
"All religions seem to dislike breasts, but it's just the opposite with me." - Eric Idle

*

gOOber

  • Pic-O-Matic
  • 25236
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #654 on: January 16, 2015, 09:53:18 AM »
 :)
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

*

homevintner

  • L Cup
  • 8221
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #655 on: January 17, 2015, 08:16:16 AM »
Last night was fried rice with beef and shrimp.
"All religions seem to dislike breasts, but it's just the opposite with me." - Eric Idle

*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #656 on: February 03, 2015, 10:46:57 PM »
I had two gal pals and two large (but very well-behaved) dogs over for a casual dinner tonight. I grilled burgers with sharp white cheddar and served them on Telera rolls. I also grilled an Anaheim chile and skinned/chopped it for condimenté. The beef was from Trader Joe's (80/20) which I hadn't used before, but was really tasty, and not outrageous at $4.50/lb. Aside from a cheese plate, two California white wines, Korean pickles, spicy olives and other culinary accouterments, the main thing I made to go with the burgers was an Asian red cabbage slaw, which was put together mainly by using things sourced from the door/shelves of my fridge.

Pic attached: it contains red cabbage, daikon, carrot, ginger, cilantro, shallot and a tiny bit of caramelized red onion (that I made for the burgers). The dressing was mayo (just a tad) with two kinds of vinegar (pineapple and pear), lime, sesame oil, sesame seeds, wasabi and salt/pepper/chile.

It was very good. As per usual I made way too much. Luckily, one pal took some home for lunch tomorrow. :)

Musical accompaniment consisted of mostly Aimee Mann, Amy Winehouse and Arcade Fire (my iTunes is proceeding alphabetically). Both dogs were great: very little barking or begging and no peeing or chewing at all. They are great dogs and they smell so good like 95% of the time.

During dinner, we had to close the front door for a bit due to the indie film crew shooting a low-budget feature 20 feet away (on my property; they're still out there right now as I type this). Since I've been involved in dozens of such shoots myself, and am now well past that, it was no problem to close my own door/windows to keep the music and laughter down to a dull roar rather than get pointlessly indignant about it.

All in all, a fine night. :)

PS: apparently, this is my 22,121st post since the forum crash in the summer of '01 or whenever it was that we started over.  ::) I know that sounds like a lot, but it's less than 4.5 posts per day. :P ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:58:39 PM by Palomine »

*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #657 on: February 18, 2015, 05:54:59 PM »
My sister and I went to The Melt https://themelt.com/menu on Sunset Blvd. for the first time and it was actually pretty great. I had the Mission burger cooked medium and the regular fries. Everything tasted good and the place was clean and it was only a couple bucks more than you'd spend at In'N'Out. If you've got a The Melt near you and haven't tried it yet, I recommend it without reservation. :)

*

solvegas

  • ZZZ Cup
  • 83838
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #658 on: February 18, 2015, 09:34:20 PM »
My sister and I went to The Melt https://themelt.com/menu on Sunset Blvd. for the first time and it was actually pretty great. I had the Mission burger cooked medium and the regular fries. Everything tasted good and the place was clean and it was only a couple bucks more than you'd spend at In'N'Out. If you've got a The Melt near you and haven't tried it yet, I recommend it without reservation. :)



Perhaps one will open here in Sin City so I can try it out. I think I remember seeing this burger joint on the Travel Channel. I keep thinking it was on the Man vs Food show. It was a couple of years ago.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:39:38 PM by solvegas »

*

pedonbio

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 22949
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #659 on: February 18, 2015, 10:55:57 PM »
I think The Melt is only in Southern California.    :(
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.