*

solvegas

  • ZZZ Cup
  • 83838
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #615 on: June 05, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
:P

That's some expensive crap !  ;D

*

gOOber

  • Pic-O-Matic
  • 25236
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #616 on: July 22, 2014, 11:30:21 AM »
 ::)
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

*

gOOber

  • Pic-O-Matic
  • 25236
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #617 on: July 24, 2014, 03:36:10 PM »
I`m just having what she is having.
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #618 on: August 03, 2014, 07:27:36 PM »
Chipotle chicken meatloaf(s, or loaves?) with rosemary garlic fingerling taters. Green beans and a salad on the side. Cold white wine and a sparkling rosé as well. I'm assuming one of my three dinner guests will bring a dessert.

*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #619 on: August 05, 2014, 12:17:20 AM »
Chipotle chicken meatloaf(s, or loaves?) with rosemary garlic fingerling taters. Green beans and a salad on the side. Cold white wine and a sparkling rosé as well. I'm assuming one of my three dinner guests will bring a dessert.

The 'after' is more photogenic. I don't see any reason not to admit that this was perhaps the best meatloaf I've ever made and I've made quite a few (and even my 'worst' is pretty damn good). It drew effusive praise and rave reviews from all. :)

*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #620 on: August 13, 2014, 11:20:32 PM »
Pardon the incessant stream of food-pron, but my late-night/last-minute dinner (all by my lonesome :() consisted of a nice slab o'fish with sauteed veg and shallots in a mushroom cream sauce over brown tumeric rice with a nice salad on the side (complete with heirloom cherry tomatoes, toasted pepitas and alfalfa sprouts. The only white wine I happened to have left in the house was Retsina (of all things!) but it went nicely, given the cream sauce.

*

Nimrod

  • KC Strip Artist
  • 2169
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #621 on: August 15, 2014, 05:41:45 AM »
February 3, 2013: first outdoor stirfry of the year... alert the media! ;)

(that leaf did not make it into the wok btw. ;)


To help the culinary uninitiated I added some additional tags to help.  ;D

Palomine says LOL! :D

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:49:10 AM by Palomine »
BE Together...

Images are (c) Nimrod unless noted otherwise

*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #622 on: August 15, 2014, 01:47:54 PM »
To help the culinary uninitiated I added some additional tags to help.  ;D

Palomine says LOL! :D

I've re-re-edited Nim's photo with the actual item descriptions. Pardon the typos... if there's spell-check in GIMP, I haven't found it. ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 01:49:47 PM by Palomine »

*

Nimrod

  • KC Strip Artist
  • 2169
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #623 on: August 16, 2014, 08:49:36 AM »
I've re-re-edited Nim's photo with the actual item descriptions. Pardon the typos... if there's spell-check in GIMP, I haven't found it. ;)

Ah, rice noodles and not tapeworms - got it.

However I was right about the garlic on the garlic.

Swai is yummy - I agree, however it is more difficult to find in Kansas.

Still think the backyard leaf made in into the mix.

I should take more foodie photos but Kithara may give me a odd look every time we whip out the camera just prior to digging in.

BE Together...

Images are (c) Nimrod unless noted otherwise

*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #624 on: August 17, 2014, 12:39:15 AM »
It's been warm here the past few nights, so the last thing I want to do is have the oven on, since it'll be radiating heat out into the house for hours after dinner's long since over. Thus, the little BBQ comes into play: the small Charbroil "Patio Caddy" that lives just outside the kitchen window. Being so small, there's no hot vs. not-so-hot areas, so for a longish cook, some strategery is warranted.

Rinsed the bird and let it dry on a rack over a plate in the fridge for a few hours prior to cooking: this helps crisp the skin. Before cooking, it's slathered with a mixture of butter, garlic, jalapeno and rosemary (with salt and pepper). In the BBQ, it's placed over a tin-foil reservoir perched up out of the half-inch of water on a mound of hickory chips, rosemary branches and lemon slices. The water will take about 40 minutes to boil off, during which time the bird will be steaming. Once it's gone, the foliage will smolder, smoking the bird and providing a crisp, golden exterior somewhat like that of a Peking duck hanging in a Chinatown window (those are dried too).

The meat inside is moist and fragrant, despite having reached mandated safe minimum temperatures for whole poultry, and (as mentioned) the skin is crispy and delicious.

The two foil bananas at the perimeter contain onions, carrots, new potatoes and mushrooms, while the little packet up top furthest away from the flame contains the chicken liver with a bit of olive oil and salt... up there, it doesn't overcook.

Maybe 55 minutes from start to finish, with a 10-minute rest at the end. An easy way to make a very decent chicken for company without heating up the whole damn house.

*

pedonbio

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 22949
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #625 on: August 17, 2014, 02:43:26 AM »
What a contrast! In Seattle it's been cool for the past four nights, so I grilled some salmon, heated up a veggie medley, and wrapped some dolmathes. Not bad, and very little prep time. My wife and I dined well; our daughter opposes eating fish, thinks my dolmathes are sloppy (they are), and won't eat any veggie medley that contains tomatoes, so she fixed her own garlic-infused quiona and zucchini dish.

Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

*

gOOber

  • Pic-O-Matic
  • 25236
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #626 on: August 25, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »
My girlfriend made me a wonderful salad last night. ;) ;)
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #627 on: August 25, 2014, 11:04:53 PM »
As we know, no good deed goes unpunished, so I was forced to miss breakfast :( and schlep downtown (via subway no less) for what turned out to be nothing at all (i.e.: the case in which I am a witness/good samaritan was continued). So, for dinner tonight I had a big mocha latte and a fried egg sammich on white bread, with cheese, cilantro and a schmear of chili ranch dressing instead of ketchup. No pix, but it was just tasty, not visually interesting.

Added later: pic of dinner that followed a few nights later, on what turned out to be the worst day I've had in well over a year.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:17:43 PM by Palomine »

*

gOOber

  • Pic-O-Matic
  • 25236
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #628 on: August 28, 2014, 07:37:13 PM »
 :P
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

*

solvegas

  • ZZZ Cup
  • 83838
Re: O.T.F. Survey: What did you have for dinner ?
« Reply #629 on: August 28, 2014, 10:18:10 PM »