*

pedonbio

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 22949
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #195 on: June 23, 2011, 07:08:41 PM »
when you drink too much, you fall down hard.

Oooopps!
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

*

pedonbio

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 22949
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #196 on: June 24, 2011, 01:33:10 PM »
Today it was announced that Peter Falk, who spent 30 years being the detective known as Columbo, died at 83. It appears that he suffered from Altzheimer's Disease.

Whenever anyone observes that acting is a profession for beautiful people, I think of Falk, who had a glass eye (Real one lost to cancer at age 3) and made use of it to establish his own niche.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:01:00 PM by pedonbio »
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

*

DruulEmpire

  • Freakin' Huge!
  • 12880
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2011, 04:10:07 PM »
If anyone can follow up Abraham's act on the eve of Sodom and Gomorrah getting snuffed, that whole "Excuse me, God, just one more question" ploy, it's Peter Falk, who did that regularly as Columbo.

For that matter, in an intriguing (but seriously overlong) movie "Wings of Desire," one conceit of it was that Falk -- not Falk as a character, but Peter Falk himself -- was an angel who had chosen mortality.  I would have gone with the singer Sade myself, but Falk admittedly made a charming and humorous candidate.

Luckily for post-Columbo generations, he will live on as the storytelling grandfather in "The Princess Bride."  As you wish, Mr. Falk. 

*

Zorro

  • Zorro Cup
  • 6053
  • Morphs are updated each week!
    • Zorro" Zorromorphs @ Shutterfly
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »
The first movie I saw Peter Falk in was "Murder Inc." where his portrayal of Abe "Kid Twist" Reles was fantastic.

Here is a picture with the real Abe Reles and Peter Falk as Reles.
WHEN STARTING OR ANSWERING THREADS/POSTS, LINKS ARE SHOWN TO PROVIDE SOURCE INFORMATION INSTEAD OF JUST COPYING/PASTING PERSONAL OPINIONS.

Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2011, 05:16:03 PM »
Luckily for post-Columbo generations, he will live on as the storytelling grandfather in "The Princess Bride."  As you wish, Mr. Falk. 

Kudos for coming up with that perfect sentiment. As you wish, Mr. Falk, indeed!


*

TheZookie007

  • L Cup
  • 53945
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2011, 08:48:17 PM »
I have great memories of watching Columbo with my folks...when he would go, "Oh, just one more thing..." my dad would be like "a-HA! Go get 'im, Columbo!"
AOC, HC, TW, BO, KH: FU. FUATH. 100x.

*

3deroticer

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 9226
    • CyberLee
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
I have great memories of watching Columbo with my folks...when he would go, "Oh, just one more thing..." my dad would be like "a-HA! Go get 'im, Columbo!"
I hope this will prompt a 24 hour Peter Falk marathon on cable.
"Yesterday, Reince Priebus called this whole story a 'nothing burger,'" he said. "Well these emails have turned it into an all-you-can-prosecute buffet."

*

solvegas

  • ZZZ Cup
  • 83838
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #202 on: June 24, 2011, 11:09:27 PM »
Peter Falk was one of my favorite actors. He could do anything. How many remember his role in the Tony Curtis movie " The Great Race " ? Of course, his Columbo character is iconic and that old Volvo the character drove was priceless.NBC mystery night back in the 70's was great. Will be sorely missed.  :'(

*

rtpoe

  • Old Fart
  • 12420
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #203 on: June 24, 2011, 11:45:15 PM »
There are tons of clips of him in action as Lt. (no first name) Columbo out there in the Internet.

And it was a Peugeot, not a Volvo.

He bagged an Oscar nomination for his work in "Murder, Inc."

Steven Spielberg directed the 1971 episode, "Murder by the Book"

Quote
"Warren Beatty commented that someone had suggested to him that he remake 1979′s The In-Laws (starring Falk and Alan Arkin), and Beatty told me that notion was “ridiculous” in part because Falk’s performance was “perfect,” never to be improved upon.

It was said that film director Frederico Fellini would leave dinner parties to go watch the latest episode of Columbo. Great artists respect other great artists." - Ken Tucker, http://watching-tv.ew.com/2011/06/24/peter-falk-columbo/
rtpoe

Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow...

Van Morrison, Moondance

*

TheZookie007

  • L Cup
  • 53945
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2011, 02:57:37 AM »
There are tons of clips of him in action as Lt. (no first name) Columbo out there in the Internet.
His first name was Frank, actually, but I can only think of one episode where it was mentioned. Sort of like how it took forever before we learned that Inspector Morse's first name was "Endeavour" :)
AOC, HC, TW, BO, KH: FU. FUATH. 100x.

*

rtpoe

  • Old Fart
  • 12420
Betty Ford 1918-2011
« Reply #205 on: July 09, 2011, 11:43:49 PM »
First Ladies aren't supposed to say those kind of things. They are supposed to sit quietly in the background (e.g. Bess Truman) or involve themselves in innocuous activities (like Lady Bird Johnson's flower planting projects).

Not Betty Ford.

Quote
According to Mrs. Ford, her young adult children probably had smoked marijuana — and if she were their age, she'd try it, too. She told "60 Minutes" she wouldn't be surprised to learn that her youngest, 18-year-old Susan, was in a sexual relationship (an embarrassed Susan issued a denial).

She mused that living together before marriage might be wise, thought women should be drafted into the military if men were, and spoke up unapologetically for abortion rights, taking a position contrary to the president's.

In an era when cancer was discussed in hushed tones and mastectomy was still a taboo subject, the first lady shared the specifics of her breast cancer surgery. The publicity helped bring the disease into the open and inspired countless women to seek breast examinations.

She used the unvarnished story of her own descent and recovery to crusade for better addiction treatment, especially for women. She co-founded the nonprofit Betty Ford Center near the Fords' home in Rancho Mirage, Calif., in 1982. Mrs. Ford raised millions of dollars for the center, kept close watch over its operations, and regularly welcomed groups of new patients with a speech that started, "Hello, my name's Betty Ford, and I'm an alcoholic and drug addict."
rtpoe

Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow...

Van Morrison, Moondance

*

rtpoe

  • Old Fart
  • 12420
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2011, 07:47:10 PM »
...and she danced barefoot on a table in the White House.
rtpoe

Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow...

Van Morrison, Moondance

*

rtpoe

  • Old Fart
  • 12420
Sherwood Schwartz: 1916 - 2011
« Reply #207 on: July 13, 2011, 08:05:45 PM »
I hope I don't have to explain this man's contributions to Late 20th Century American Culture....

But just in case there are some young snot-nosed whippersnappers out there who haven't a clue...

(clears throat and starts singing)

Just sit right back, and you'll here a tale...
Of a lovely lady.
Who was bringing up three very lovely girls.
The mate was a mighty sailin' man;
The skipper brave and sure.
All of them had hair of gold,
Like their mother,
Five passengers set sail that day,
There were four men, living all together.
Yet they were all alone
On this uncharted deserted isle.
And they knew that it was much more than a hunch.
That this group must somehow form a family,
Here on Gilligan's Isle!

Here's the Creator and Producer getting kissed by Florence "Carol Brady" Henderson and Dawn "Mary Ann Summers" Wells when he was honored with a star on Hollywood's 'Walk of Fame'...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:43:21 PM by rtpoe »
rtpoe

Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow...

Van Morrison, Moondance

Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »
Thanks, RTPOE, and I'm sad that more of a fuss isn't being made over the death of this brilliant sit-com creator.

*

DruulEmpire

  • Freakin' Huge!
  • 12880
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #209 on: July 14, 2011, 06:15:59 AM »
I was just thinking about him!  In my Harem House thread in the Addventure, I named a Hollywood producer "Sherwood Horowitz" more or less in his honor.