*

rtpoe

  • Old Fart
  • 12420
"Mythbusters" to wrap it up
« on: November 05, 2015, 10:27:25 PM »
Discovery Channel and the Mythbusters crew have announced that the 2016 season, their 14th, will be their last.

"We didn't just love watching "MythBusters" because of the impressive explosions or because we wanted to see if the team would survive crashing cars or lighting themselves on fire for our entertainment. In a world of endless drama-filled dating shows and fluffy sitcoms, we actually learned useful things from every "MythBusters" episode. I learned, for example, that boarding an airplane back to front is the slowest method. I found out that overusing bug bombs can explode a house. I also discovered that you can't make a usable candle out of earwax and a refrigerator door can't stop 9mm bullets. And it really isn't easy to take candy from a baby." - Bonnie Burton, CNet.com

"Too often, science is presented as a body of established facts to be handed down to obedient students. But "MythBusters" isn’t about facts, it’s about process: For every myth, the team has to figure out how to test the claim, then construct an experiment, carry out the tests and analyze the results.... Every episode is an object lesson in the scientific method. Scientists had often been depicted in entertainment, but rarely had audiences seen people actually doing science. Obviously, experiments staged for television can’t have the rigor of peer-reviewed lab work. But "MythBusters" captures the underlying mind-set of science. At a time when "skepticism" too often means rejecting any ideas one finds politically unpalatable, "MythBusters" provides a compelling example of real scientific skepticism, the notion that nothing can be held true until it is confirmed by experimentation." - James B. Meigs, NY Times

"The great gift of the series has been to remind us that the world isn't always what we want or believe it to be, that your beliefs can be tested and might be proved wrong -- which is not at all the same thing as "losing." Indeed, if you prize fact over faith, you can only win." - Robert Lloyd, LA Times
rtpoe

Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow...

Van Morrison, Moondance

*

Palomine

  • Moderator
  • 24024
  • Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: "Mythbusters" to wrap it up
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 09:45:20 AM »
I really did enjoy the show back in the day, but IMHO it had long since jumped the shark. Over time, more and more it felt like grasping at straws and to me, it did depend way too much on the aforementioned explosions and car stunts. And not to rely on rumor too heavily, but the chummy interaction between the cast members often felt forced or staged, which does lend weight to the reports that they really didn't like each other much off-camera. Finally, I also felt that the various crew who surely spent so much prep time getting experiments ready could have been given a bit of credit/screen time, instead of fast-cutting from the set-up to the stunt and making it seem as if the main cast had actually done all the hard work themselves. Sure, it's great to see the scientific method being utilized on primetime television, and all this is JMHO of course, but this is the sort of stuff that ran through my head as I attempted to watch the show during its midterm-to-later seasons... eventually, watching it started feeling like homework: something I was obliged to do (in this case, out of habit).

Not to be a pig, but of the bunch, I'd like to see Kari Byron on tv again... just because she's so easy on the eyes. Grant is doing infomercials on how tasty and wholesome McDonald's food is. No idea what Tory is up to. I'm sure Jamie and Adam will have plenty of other interesting stuff ahead of them... they both seem like cool and interesting guys and could surely helm their own shows (given a decent premise of course) if they want to.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:16:42 PM by Palomine »

*

Tugboatcap

  • G Cup
  • 958
Re: "Mythbusters" to wrap it up
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 03:23:44 PM »
I was at a conference in Atlanta a few weeks ago and Adam Savage gave about a 40 minute talk about his life and career, followed by a 20 minute Q&A Session.

The guy is brilliant and has only a HS Education.  He is well versed in art, science and literature and is really a funny guy.  He gave a little background on how he and Jamie got their start and how they pitched the show.

He said the hardest part of each myth is to come up with the one question.  The one question that defines exactly what they are trying to prove or disprove.  Everything else hinges on the accuracy of that one question.

One of the first questions in the Q&A was "What is your favorite part of your job on Mythbusters?"  His answer, and I quote "I get to blow shit up and get paid for it!".  Someone else asked him what his favorite explosion was.  He said that as for sheer explosive power, the cement mixer filled that bill, but his favorite was the Hot Water Heater explosion.  He said that chemical explosions are so fast that you really don't get to enjoy them until you play it back on slow-mo.  It's kind of like a flash and then it's over.  The hot water heater, on the other hand, was slow.  You could hear the heater starting to fail, feel the rumble and then watch the explosion and appreciate the power without a slow motion replay.

Like I said, great guy.
TugboatCap!
__________________________________________
It's Really Funny 'Till Someone Looses an Eye!

*

Hiram

  • Z Cup
  • 7646
  • I like big tits
Re: "Mythbusters" to wrap it up
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 12:33:01 PM »
I'm sure Jamie and Adam will have plenty of other interesting stuff ahead of them... [/color]
http://www.tested.com/
Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, good buzzing, cool talking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing... #BOOBs

*

Robin_K2

  • A Cup
  • 3441
Re: "Mythbusters" to wrap it up
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »
I hope their last program tests each presidential candidate's claims and credits.

*

Reaver

  • F Cup
  • 908
Re: "Mythbusters" to wrap it up
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 06:59:10 PM »
While I am sorry to see them stop, I think it is good to end things before everyone jumps on "they have lost the magic" storyline.