"...Trump actually does something."
Like what?
What has he accomplished in his first two months in office?
There are some 550+ federal positions where he needs to appoint someone, and get Congressional approval. So far, he
hasn't even come up with nominees for 497 of them.
The only pieces of actual legislation he’s signed involve 1) Rolling back a regulation that made it harder for mentally ill people to buy guns. 2) Renaming a veteran’s health clinic. 3) Signing two purely symbolic bills about encouraging women in science and technology. His many executive orders are all show and no substance.
The GOP's replacement for the Affordable Care Act looks dead in the water. Trump’s budget proposal is just that - a proposal - and it doesn't look like it's going anywhere. The latest version of his order about travel restrictions from Islamic countries is held up in court. Trump may have signaled shifts in policy, but he has yet to make any real changes — like passing (or even PROPOSING) actual laws — that will actually MAKE a difference.
Do not mistake "activity" for "accomplishment".
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/trump-still-hasnt-done-very-much-214932If he actually has accomplished anything, it's diminishing respect for the Presidency.
TIME Magazine just published and extensive and wide-ranging interview with Trump. Here's how he ended the interview:
MICHAEL SCHERER: But you are saying to me now, that you don't believe the intelligence community when they say your tweet was wrong.
DONALD TRUMP: I'm not blaming. First of all, I put Mike Pompeo in. I put Senator Dan Coats in. These are great people. I think they are great people and they are going to, I have a lot of confidence in them. So hopefully things will straighten out. But I inherited a mess, I inherited a mess in so many ways. I inherited a mess in the Middle East, and a mess with North Korea, I inherited a mess with jobs, despite the statistics, you know, my statistics are even better, but they are not the real statistics because you have millions of people that can't get a job, ok. And I inherited a mess on trade. I mean we have many, you can go up and down the ladder. But that's the story.
Hey look, in the mean time, I guess, I can't be doing so badly, because I'm president, and you're not. You know. Say hello to everybody OK?
(emphasis mine)
Great god in heaven, you actually expect him to be going "Nyah, nyah, you're a loser!" like some spoiled nine year old!
Look, it comes down to a matter of trust.
Our allies need to trust us to keep our promises. NATO countries need to know that we've got their back if Russia gets uppity again. Japan and South Korea are counting on our assistance when North Korea rattles its saber. Can they trust a president who can't even speak in reasonably coherent sentences?
The American public also needs to be able to trust the President. He's the one who gets to order us into wars, and rallies public support for policy proposals. Though we were hesitant (with good reason) when George W. Bush said that Sadaam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, we gave him the benefit of the doubt because he was the president, and you have to be able to trust the president. When Barack Obama was trying to persuade us that the Affordable Care Act was a good thing, he told us "If you like your plan, you can keep it." When things didn't work out that way, he took a severe credibility hit that he has yet to recover from. We
trusted him....
Can we trust a president who blatantly lies, then when called on them, doubles down again and again, never admitting that just maybe he might have been mistaken?
In case you weren't paying close attention earlier this week, there's a ban on laptops on airline flights originating from certain areas in the Middle East. Apparently, raids in Yemen picked up intel that suggests that terrorists can "weaponize" laptop batteries in a way that gets past current security procedures. So all laptops and tablets on those flights have to be stowed in checked baggage.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/03/21/what-triggered-the-laptop-ban-on-flights-answers-don-t-add-up-yet.htmlIt's a relatively minor thing in and of itself, so we can grudgingly deal with it.
But what if, for example, the NSA finds information that North Korea has a nuke that will fit onto a missile that can reach not only Japan, but parts of Alaska? Could we trust President Trump when he tells the world that we need to take action NOW, and that economic sanctions aren't going to be enough??
Can we ever trust him to tell the truth about
anything?