*

MunchWolf

  • What Tagline?
  • 11463
Burning Man
« on: August 02, 2010, 09:16:32 PM »
this will be my third year in a row ... who's going and where are you camping?

-Munch "I can't be the only freak here" Wolf

*

RandomX

  • ZZZ Cup
  • 5718
    • www.overflowingforum.com
Re: Burning Man
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 10:01:52 PM »
*coughcoughdoublepostcough*


What do you mean by where are you camping? Does it go by sections? Just how large is Burning Man anyway?
100% real woman, with notarized documents and witnesses to back this claim up.

*

MunchWolf

  • What Tagline?
  • 11463
Re: Burning Man
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 11:30:14 PM »
40,000 people

for one week, it really is a city .. with streets ... and an airport ... and at the end of the week .. POOF .. gone ... with a leave no trace philosophy ... (and the Bureau of Land Management lets us back each year because of how little we impact the enviroment).

as for the city ... it's C-shaped, using a clockface, the open part of the C is 12 o'clock (where the temple is) ... the middle of the C is the Man ... with the inner courtyard about 3/4 of a mile ... and the outer part of the city about 2 miles from end to end ...

the streets start at 2 o'clock, and then every 1/2hr is a radial street until 10 o'clock.  6 o'clock is center camp, with it's own street formation.  The city is about 11 streets deep, letters A to K (this year named after cities, but it changes every year).

Here's a pic

The pentagon shape is the outer fence .... and any area that is empty is desert, with chance of Artwork ... way way out in deep playa, some placed a bit two story tall THE END a few years back.  You really need a bike to get around.

-Munch "we should chat" Wolf

*

RandomX

  • ZZZ Cup
  • 5718
    • www.overflowingforum.com
Re: Burning Man
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 06:05:59 AM »
...Whoa.
100% real woman, with notarized documents and witnesses to back this claim up.

*

LittleHelp

  • A Cup
  • *
  • 14
Re: Burning Man
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 04:24:59 AM »
See you on the playa! I never post and lurk forever but I'm more active in the BRC scene, despite this year being my first burn. Road-tripping in from Florida, will definitely be stopping by the booby bar. You with any theme camp Munch?
____________
Little Help?

*

MunchWolf

  • What Tagline?
  • 11463
Re: Burning Man
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:34:43 AM »
...Whoa.

Posted in the youtube random thread, but appropriate here:  sample pack of someone else's playa adventures

-Munch "gives a good feel for what the event is about" Wolf

*

MunchWolf

  • What Tagline?
  • 11463
Re: Burning Man
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 11:36:41 AM »
See you on the playa! I never post and lurk forever but I'm more active in the BRC scene, despite this year being my first burn. Road-tripping in from Florida, will definitely be stopping by the booby bar. You with any theme camp Munch?

I'm thinking Contact Camp (it's a contact improvisation dance camp)

CI and dance have had a big impact in my past year

-Munch "sadly, I've never been to the booby bar" Wolf

*

Nimrod

  • KC Strip Artist
  • 2168
Re: Burning Man
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 10:37:47 PM »
If Kithara and I were going to Burning Man and after some lengthy study of the vast official website we would probably go to Jakarta 6:30-6:40 for 2010.

Tickets at the gate, around $360...

We have our reasons, being upwind is good.


p.s. In answer to Munch below - the winds are from the SSW in general this time of year. The weather is highly variable and tends toward the inhospitable. A simple clue that they try to check people at the gate "to determine if you have the basic necessities to survive on the playa" shows that it can be a task just to be there, especially for a week.
Several factors work against our going - the distance, the time, the costs, the sunlight.
Also - they appear to have greatly increased the number and specificity of the rules this year. There is the old camping saying of "take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints" yet oddly they are clamping down on both more and more.

So Munch - if you can get an unregistered camera in see if you can "gift" by offering to share your efforts to freely document the expressions of this Metropolis.
This year it sounds as if around 1% of the participants will be from the Press. It also sounds like the "Rangers" have some sort of little tin god complex going on.


Vampire Bunnies and high desert exposure do not mix well.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:07:10 AM by Nimrod »
BE Together...

Images are (c) Nimrod unless noted otherwise

*

MunchWolf

  • What Tagline?
  • 11463
Re: Burning Man
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 11:32:24 PM »
upwind of 4:20?

-Munch "yah ... tix get pricey the longer you wait" Wolf

ps:  If anyone needs advice for prep, I've done it twice already ... camping on my own .. so I think I'm qualified ....

pps:  no theme camp this year ... camping on my own again ...

*

MunchWolf

  • What Tagline?
  • 11463
Re: Burning Man
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
where I am aiming to camp

-Munch "results may vary, look for a flying spaghetti monster car cover and a guy with blue hair" Wolf

*

pedonbio

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 22949
Re: Burning Man
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 12:57:02 PM »
Detroit at 7:00? Hmmm.
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

*

MunchWolf

  • What Tagline?
  • 11463
Re: Burning Man
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 02:12:20 PM »
yah ... I may need to rethink it ... I think that spot is next to the portapotties

-Munch "bad for smell, good for access" Wolf

*

RandomX

  • ZZZ Cup
  • 5718
    • www.overflowingforum.com
Re: Burning Man
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 08:41:15 PM »
I spent this morning reading half of the BM website. I'm strongly considering going someday. Well, I always considered but now I'm considering with a better understanding of what I'm agreeing to.
100% real woman, with notarized documents and witnesses to back this claim up.

*

MunchWolf

  • What Tagline?
  • 11463
Re: Burning Man
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 09:13:30 PM »
I'm available to answer questions / give advice

-Munch "this is my third year, but you only need to survive one to be a veteran" Wolf

*

MunchWolf

  • What Tagline?
  • 11463
Re: Burning Man
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 12:07:49 PM »
on road

-Munch "Back in a week and a half" Wolf