*

DruulEmpire

  • Freakin' Huge!
  • 12880
Atlas Shrank
« on: September 10, 2010, 03:50:14 PM »
At long last, with only nine hundred posts and/or two years ahead of me at this forum, I have finally achieved a feeling of "Oh, hang it all" and will now do whatever I want.  Unfortunately, this means deconstructing Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged," which is hardly anyone's idea of a fun activity, so you'll all just have to bear with me.  I'm basing this on the 1168-page-long 1992 reprint of the original Signet edition, complete with a helpful little forward by a "Randologist" named Peikoff, who explains that Rand originally thouught of the novel as "The Strike," a nicely ironic title -- and if hanging out around here has taught me anything, it's that arch-conservatives have no concept of irony, so I guess the title had to go.

My relationship with "Shrugged" feels peculiar and unique.  On the one extreme, so many of its readers instantly snap it up with an absolutist passion.  On the other hand, my fellow left-of-center friends seem to completely miss the heft -- and hence the threat -- of it, trying to dismiss it as one woman working her slutty way through men in encounters resembling r4pe.  I'm not at all persuaded, let alone satisfied, by this dismissal, asking "And this makes it different from 'Gone With the Wind' how?"

I will confess that I find "Shrugged" to be a lot of shameless fun.  There is a hotly electric drumbeat of sheer delicious melodrama running throughout it that reminds me a little of "Wuthering Heights" -- though only a little, because Bronte is so much better a writer.  The protagonists are chiseled in marble and the foils are gratuitously craven and leechlike.  Sadly, this makes Rand almost as lousy at characterization as Tom Clancy -- though I have to say, Clancy has that floor all to himself.  Weirdly enough, Clancy's most interesting all-time character may be Arnie van Damm, and in a similar way there's a minor character in "Shrugged" named Fred Kinnan who actually threatens to become a witty and recognizable human being nonetheless working for The Wrong Side.

This will start off slow, which might make you worry "For 1168 pages!?!?!"  Worry not.  The page length is intimidating, but Tolstoy Rand ain't.  The "mystery" isn't, and Rand is even more windbaggy than F. Scott Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald's caveat being that he was so much more lyrical about it.  So much of the book is overlong, redundant, or both.  Rand is tailor-made for speed readers.

It is my worry that "Shrugged" may well be the most evil book ever written, all the more evil because it is a fun read that commands attention and seems to exert a hypnotic influence.  It is, perhaps, the equivalent in text of what "Birth of a Nation" may have been to people when that movie first debuted.  Of course, there will be rightful controversy.  "What about Mein Kampf?  Or The Communist Manifesto?  Or Mao's Little Red Book?"  All fair candidates for Most Evil Book, but I would argue that their respective heydays have come and gone, while "Shrugged" goes right on corrupting the discussion of ideals.  I therefore owe it to myself to finally face up to it.

There are other things to do, my Addventure stories and my weird "20,000" thread among them, but one day you wake up and you realize that the time has come.  So here I will now openly peruse "Atlas Shrugged."

*

DruulEmpire

  • Freakin' Huge!
  • 12880
Re: Atlas Shrank
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »
We begin with Eddie Willers.  Who is Eddie Willers?  Good question.  There seems to be a tendency to call Eddie Willers a wimp, which is unfair, because he will avail himself quite heroically by novel's end.  However, our protagonist, one Dagny Taggart, conspicuously never sleeps with him, keeping it quite Platonic, so he is for the moment somewhat sub-par.  He has a general feeling of civilization winding down.  The "mystery," "Who is John Galt?", is posed to him by a bum.  Take a close look at the bum, though.  Rand takes a moment to say "the eyes were intelligent."  Later we will see other poor folk, but they will be conspicuously rather listless sad-sack types.  Already we are beginning to see Rand distinguish a truly slovenly poor from a wily worldly-wise poor.

There's a ten-story-high crack that no one repairs.  A giant calendar invites the idea "Your days are numbered."  Eddie reflects on the obvious metaphor of a great mighty-seeming oak actually being all hollow inside.

His woolgathering extends to remembering a minister saying "we must always reach for the best within us."  He wonders if that means climbing mountains, or winning battles, or saving people from raging fires.  By novel's end, however, he will realize with near-religious euphoria that simply doing your job and earning your money (presumably, hopefully, in a career and not simply a McJob) is that highest purpose.

I think it's noteworthy here that, according to Peikoff's preface, Rand did consider including a clergyman early on.  From Rand's own notes of June 27, 1946:

"For Father Amadeus -- the source of his conflict.  The uneasy realization that Galt is the end of his endeavors, the man of virtue, the perfect man -- and that his means do no fit this end (and that he is destroying this, his ideal, for the sake of those who are evil)."

However, later on, in Peikoff's words from this preface:

"Father Amadeus was [James] Taggart's priest, to whom he confessed his sins.  The priest was supposed to be a positive character, honestly devoted to the good but practicing consistently the morality of mercy.  Miss Rand dropped him, she told me, when she found it was impossible to make such a character convincing."

A poor characterizer can't handle someone merciful.  That's kind of a tip-off right there.

Eddie enters the Taggart Building dedicated to the Taggart Transcontinental railroad.  Its motto is From Ocean to Ocean, which to Eddie is "so much more shining and holy than any commandment of the Bible."  He expands it to "From Ocean to Ocean, forever."  Not to put too fine a point on it, but I somehow doubt Rand was much for natural history, contemplating a highly fluid and flexible future for thousands of years to come.  The sad truth is that we have yet to truly grapple with just how ephemeral so many of our human artifacts are.  It's even tougher when the subject is a railroad.  I'd like to see maglev trains  -- but would Rand actually agree with that if she were alive today in 2010?

We meet James Taggart, the company president.  Who is Taggart based on?  Damned if I know.  Other industrial figures seem to be drawn from Andrew Carnegie or Thomas Edison or Henry Ford or even Howard Hughes -- but James Taggart, the presumed Exhibit A for how and why civilization is running down, reminds me of NO ONE.  So far as I can see, he's a classic straw man, invented by Rand to be all the easier to tear down.  I will be doing things like this from time to time, like asking "Why did Cherryl Brooks have to kill herself?", questions to nag the true fan.

Anyhow, more on the bizarre character of James Taggart for another day ...    
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 04:35:00 PM by DruulEmpire »

*

SamV

  • My bra size? A 34H - H is for 'HUGE, you know!'
  • 2483
  • SaRenna Lee - the "Joan Holloway" prototype!
Re: Atlas Shrank
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 05:56:45 PM »
Far be it from me to oppose someone's right to post in this forum even if the posting seems realLEE out in left field.

And unlike most users on here I do have a binding respect for both books and literature, even those I have little interest in.

But I at least hope if I stick with this decomposition of this book by you DE, that there will be some boobs in it at some point.

Or failing that perhaps a tushie or two, female of course, I can marvel at. ::)

  
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 05:58:32 PM by SamV »
** SaRenna's very own Beta Baby **
The only thing in life you have to earn is love; everything else you can steal.
{ Recently Returned from Internet Limbo! }

*

pedonbio

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 22949
Re: Atlas Shrank
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 02:48:56 AM »
Is there any stroke material in the book?
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

Re: Atlas Shrank
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 03:02:11 AM »
Far be it from me to oppose someone's right to post in this forum even if the posting seems realLEE out in left field.

Actually, what I like best about this forum is that we're all friends who discuss myriad ideas. I love the bewbies, but I check here even more often for interesting off-topic posts such as this. I welcome it!

*

Lesbian Bob

  • F Cup
  • 983
Re: Atlas Shrank
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 03:43:12 AM »
Is there any stroke material in the book?
Only if you lust for money and admire psychopathic killers.

*

Shara

  • Cup Runneth O'er
  • 8727
  • version 1.337
Re: Atlas Shrank
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 06:51:35 AM »
Only if you lust for money and admire psychopathic killers.

oooh boy, pedonbio is gonna get his jiggy on tonight
"I don't always approve of coup d'état, but when I do, it's by Shara." -LuvDemWhoppers

*

CarlTL

  • ZZZ Cup
  • 9612
  • King of the Avatars
Re: Atlas Shrank
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 08:21:03 AM »
Only if you lust for money and admire psychopathic killers.

And violations of the laws of thermodynamics.


« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:24:23 AM by CarlTL »

*

DruulEmpire

  • Freakin' Huge!
  • 12880
Re: Atlas Shrank
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 05:18:11 PM »
Well, this IS the Off-Topic section ...

Carl has the right idea.  For want of a Gernsback-Heinleinian ideal of a (cleanly!!!) atomic-powered pushbutton paradise, a thriving working class continues not only to be necessary but to be paid their proper due.

But there will be wanton slaughter, it'll just be a matter of time.

to pedonbio below: true dat, she was not stroke material.  
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 05:36:00 PM by DruulEmpire »

*

pedonbio

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 22949
Re: Atlas Shrank
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »
oooh boy, pedonbio is gonna get his jiggy on tonight

Well, yes, but it has nothing to do with Ayn Rand.  ::)
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

*

pedonbio

  • Oh My God Cup
  • 22949
Re: Atlas Shrank
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 05:49:26 PM »
Well, this IS the Off-Topic section ...

Carl has the right idea.  For want of a Gernsback-Heinleinian ideal of a (cleanly!!!) atomic-powered pushbutton paradise, a thriving working class continues not only to be necessary but to be paid their proper due.

But there will be wanton slaughter, it'll just be a matter of time. 

Druul, I think this is a great idea, and you are doing it very well. If I were to hazard a guess about the identity of James Taggart, and were to give Rand way more credit for intellect than I do, I would suggest that she had in mind Charles Wilson, then CEO of General Motors, who created "planned obsolesence" and never did say that what was good for General Motors was good for America.

One reason to thank you for this thread is that I never read Atlas Shrugged. I read about 3/4 of The Fountainhead, which was about 100 pages too much because Rand's psychosis manifests itself about the middle of the book.

Literary quality, by the way, is an interesting thing. Wheh I was 14 to 16, the age at which most Rand fans gobble up her every word, I was reading everything Sinclair Lewis wrote. I was swept away with the quality of his writing and the depth of his philosophy, and I could easily understand why he had won the Nobel Prize for literature. Twenty years later, when I was doing one of my periodic house cleanings, I came across the same books and decided to treat myself to another reading of them.

I was shocked! The style was much better than Rand's, but it was pedestrian! And it would be difficult to imagine finding much philosophy of any kind in those books. It was about the quality of Jacquiline Suzanne's trash.

Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

*

SwitcherX

  • Legend
  • 6956
Re: Atlas Shrank
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 02:36:50 AM »
Only if you lust for money and admire psychopathic killers.

What if you are a psychopathic killer that lusts for money?

And boobs?
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister


"SwitcherX, you were always Mammeister's favorite...you bastard."
-- Notty

*

Shara

  • Cup Runneth O'er
  • 8727
  • version 1.337
Re: Atlas Shrank
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 06:30:44 AM »
What if you are a psychopathic killer that lusts for money?

And boobs?

then you go to /b/
"I don't always approve of coup d'état, but when I do, it's by Shara." -LuvDemWhoppers

*

rtpoe

  • Old Fart
  • 12423
Re: Atlas Shrank
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 01:26:45 PM »
From VillainSource.com:

Robotic Ayn Rand

Need advice about your latest megalomaniacal scheme? If only you could ask history's greatest megalomaniac, "novelist" and "philosopher" Ayn Rand. Too bad she's dead.

But wait! In 1963, a secret cabal of Objectivists intent on taking over the Student Union at MIT built the first robotic Ayn Rand, and now you can own a Randroid® based on their original design.

Comes with stock phrases such as "Morality ends where the gun begins," "Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent," and "Nathaniel! Bring me another gin and tonic!"

Price: US$50,000 includes software*

Quantity: Add To Cart

*software tends to be rather buggy. For instance, your Randroid® may oppose immigration, yet be an immigrant herself. She may oppose infidelity, yet cheat on her husband. She may espouse individuality, yet believe that only those who follow her are individuals. She may oppose the control of individuals by organizations, yet laud corporate power. These bugs can not be repaired.
rtpoe

Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow...

Van Morrison, Moondance

*

SamV

  • My bra size? A 34H - H is for 'HUGE, you know!'
  • 2483
  • SaRenna Lee - the "Joan Holloway" prototype!
Re: Atlas Shrank
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 01:39:46 PM »
"... history's greatest megalomaniac..." - I'm sorry, but Ms. Rand doesn't even come close when up against
** SaRenna's very own Beta Baby **
The only thing in life you have to earn is love; everything else you can steal.
{ Recently Returned from Internet Limbo! }